Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Sleepwalking and panic attacks

9 years ago

I recently started sleepwalking, which I haven't done for quite some time (Around ten years). I've also been having more frequent panic attacks (heart beats faster, I'm overcome with nausea, I suddenly get very lightheaded). Do they have anything to do with one another? Is there anyway I can stop them (the panic attacks. I'm not particularly worried about the sleepwalking. It's actually kind of hilarious...)

Psst... I understand if you're not all doctors. :P

9 years ago
Ask Kiel-Farran. He's a... psycho hypo or something. I'M JOKING. I just know he's educated about psychology.

9 years ago

Okay, Merci.

9 years ago
Actually, he might not be the best person to ask, about a medical issue. Try...

http://www.justanswer.com/sip/health?r=ppc%7Cga%7C2%7CCompetitor%20Terms%7COnline%20Medical%20Sites&JCRN=Doctors&JPKW=ask%20a%20doctor%20website&JPDC=S&JPST=&JPAD=45468608698&JPMT=e&JPNW=g&JPAF=txt&JPCD=20120821JPRC=1&JPOP=Janine_GimmeAMinute_Test&mkwid=spWgiAbhx_dt&pcrid=45468608698&pkw=ask%20a%20doctor%20website&pmt=e&plc=&gclid=CjwKEAjwgYKfBRDvgJeylem9xDUSJACjeQ7AKWD5qSRs8rWA9RRAROPWDtuekJtmX1u6A2yLSSCSgxoCWpzw_wcB

(sorry for the giant URL)

9 years ago

It could be something to do with stress but I'm not sure. Sleepwalking and panic attacks both have links to stress, and nausea has links to panic attacks.

9 years ago

Thanks for the information. I'm still not sure if my sleepwalking is related to my panic attacks, because my sleepwalking/talking is usually random (no telling when it's going to happen) or just plain funny to talk about (A few days ago around midnight I kinda snapped back into reality, and I caught myself standing in the kitchen talking into a pineapple).

9 years ago

Lucky. Those seem like pretty mild panic attacks.

Mine have been much different from that. You feel like you have to force yourself to breath, your entire body feels weak, and there's the thought of impeding doom; like you're right about to die.

Generally it's from stress. Something in your life is likely really bothering you/your body right now. Either got to wait it out, or confront the issue.

9 years ago

I get those sometimes. Usually it's because I think of something very serious and possibly life-changing. The only way I can calm myself when I'm having those dreadful ones is to read, and other than that just wait it out.

9 years ago

Well, you should probably stop thinking about those things lol.

But, that's easier said than done. Camomile tea is pretty good for stress from what I've heard, if you wanted to try that.

9 years ago

Much easier said than done lol. I'll be sitting there playing my guitar and suddenly remember one of those "things" (rather not mention what they are).

Thanks, I'll try the Camomile tea. Wow, I haven't had Camomile tea since I was eight years old... that brings back memories.

9 years ago

I once read a story where a man who was sleep walking drove all the way to his the house of his parents and killed them both. He wasn't convicted of murder however, and just had to take so psychology classes to fix the problem.

Anyway, as others have said, it could be stress. When I get to anxious, I'll admit, I can have sudden urges that I have to suppress along with sudden chest pains. Such as when I had my first wrestling match, I felt like I was going to throw up. The feeling went away when the tournament was finally over.

9 years ago

The nausea is most likely just "butterflies in your stomach", which I get a lot. I suppose it's a form of anxiety. But that's not as bad as feeling like your heart is in your throat and you're about to pass out (kind of like what Killa implied. There are different levels of stress and anxiety).

Sleepwalking and picnic attacks

9 years ago
I was once a doctor. I coincidentally specialized in picnic attacks and sleepwalking. In my research lab that I coincidentally named WebMD - I've found that if they are related, it means you have cancer. Not just any cancer either.

This cancer:

See those two circles with tails? It's a symbol for eternity - and what have you been doing eternally? Breathing. You've been breathing ever since you can remember, and although there were brief moments where you were not breathing - you have taken a breath each day of your life.

Symbols = Breathing = Cancer | Cancer is spread through the air as a toxic gas. I remember studying it in math class. Every time you breath there's a 50% chance of getting these symbols stuck in your throat, and that's what causes cancer.

"But Ford, what does this have to do with sleep walking and picnic attacks?" - I'm glad you asked. Cancer is known to make people sleep walk, scientists are not sure why - but cancer isn't a high priority in the world right now, so that's just how it is. What do you do when you sleep walk? You walk; all over picnic setups in the local park. Unbeknownst to you, picnics are vicious wild animals - have you ever seen a wild animal you were sure wouldn't bite? because I haven't. They will attack you and attempt to kill you, but since you're asleep you can't react properly - so you react with instincts.

Symbols = Breathing = Cancer = Sleepwalking = Picnic attacks

What do instincts say when your body doesn't respond properly? they say "WAKE UP PICNICS ARE ATTACKING!" - but you can't hear them because you got damn cancer symbols stuck in your ears. So your heart starts racing from the blood attempting to wake you up - but it's futile. There must be a way to wake you up right? So you can fight the picnics and survive!

Vomit. Like smelling sauce, vomit has a strong odor and causes a ton of pain - therefore waking anything that was previously asleep. Loosing those body fluids makes you light headed from the lack of nutrients and dehydration. Good thing many picnics are attacking you - otherwise you'd be out of food and nutrients to restore yourself.

That's how picnic attacks and sleepwalking are related, also you have cancer. I'm a doctor. Probably.

9 years ago

Less.

Stress.

Remove that stress.

Sleep more.

Text less.

Also, keep a healthy diet and be active.

9 years ago

How do I "remove stress"?

I have insomnia. I can never control how much I sleep, my body just kind of goes along with whatever is comfortable for it. I could sleep eight hours one night then two the next. One time it was really terrible and I slept only slept about thirty minutes a night for three days (Yes, I have been informed blue light can cause that. I stop using electronic devices at around 8-9 PM, depending on what time I plan to go to sleep.

I don't text unless absolutely necessary.

I make sure I walk at least three miles a day (walking back and forth to school helps) and don't eat TOO much junk food.

I think I have all these things covered (except for maybe the stress one. Seriously, how do you remove stress? That's a thing?)...

9 years ago

This might help...Remove Stress

I once had a boss that was a nervous wreck.  He used to pace up and down the factory clicking an ink pen and asking "How's it going?  How's it going? How's it going?"  The stress he created was almost unbearable!  I had the same problem you're describing, and was so exhausted I would fall asleep behind the wheel on the drive home (luckily I didn't have an accident), but couldn't sleep through the night.  I talked to the local pharmacist and he suggested that I take a Benadryl about a half hour before bed, it helped.

9 years ago

Thanks, I'll try the Benadryl.

9 years ago

You ought to talk to a pharmacist, they can give you something milder, or generic.

BTW Benadryl is also good for snake bites and bee stings, on your way to the emergency room!

The Vet gave my dog Benadryl when he was bitten by a copperhead.

Another thought I had was...A friend of mine has suffered with insomnia her whole life, and no remedy worked for her.  After decades, they finally found there was a problem with her Thyroid.  She still has insomnia, but the meds they gave her, have lessened it.

9 years ago

Ways to remove stress:

• Get into a fighting sport
  • Massage
  • Sexual activity (apparently it actually reduces stress)
  • Warm baths
  • Shouting at the world
  • Get a hobby

9 years ago
  • Yes, give the stress to someone else.  And their families.
  • I don't want some stranger touching me.  (I don't know where they've been.)
  • This can create more stress.  (with all the STD's especially.)
  • Fatal heart attacks will definitely reduce stress.
  • The last two combined...would be great.  Go shout at your neighbors.  Say ridiculous stuff and leave them baffled.  All the while not really acknowledging their existence.

9 years ago

>.>...really.

• If they are in the sport as well they won't get stressed. You must obviously be against fighting sports. Besides, you don't have to actually do anything past sparring matches.
  • Clearly you've never had a massage before.
  • That depends on who you have sex with. Masturbation also provides similar stress relief.
  • What? I said warm baths and you bring up heart attacks. XD
  • Indeed, but when I said the world I wasn't implying people. Just go out and yell.

9 years ago
  • I like the one where the community goes after a bully with clubs. :)
  • Only in Physical Therapy...
  • You don't know where I've been. :)
  • I really have no view except that I take showers.
  • I could surprise a cat, I guess, or scream at trees.  But people, to me, would be more satisfying. XD

9 years ago
  • I'm a kickboxer. We release a lot of stress, but it's not like we're transferring it to each other. Stress most often occurs when there is an excess of energy (or at least that's what they taught us in Middle School health class). Fighting helps to burn up a lot of that excess energy.
  • A stranger that went to school, got a license, and is held to a certain standard of service?
  • Yes, probably, but still it has potential.
  • Yes, maybe you should try one. JK. They actually put the victim under a lot of stress before death, so no.
  • Shouting helps, even if nobody is around.
  • You seemed to neglect "get a hobby". I have quite a few, and they all help to quell my desire for blood need for stress relief.

9 years ago

My jiu-jitsu will destroy your kickboxing. :P

9 years ago

Hohoho...you think I am unversed in the art of grappling, young one? That will surely be your downfall.

9 years ago

I shall mix wrestling, jiu-jitsu, and the Force to defeat you.

9 years ago

I see your force and raise you flame alchemy.

9 years ago

Hmm...I fold. I can't afford to lose the Force.

9 years ago

Hahahaha...ha...ha.......ha.

9 years ago

Check this out if you think you can really trust anyone.

9 years ago

Your fallacy suggest we shouldn't trust anyone because of an unrelated scenario?

9 years ago

No Brad, he makes a point. What if when you are laying on the massage table and the masseuse injects you with his/her STD infested fluids? surprise

9 years ago
I distrust everyone equally - and by that I mean I don't trust anyone for anything in any situation other than a direct emergency to my life. Even then, I wouldn't trust some people.

My parents and friends are no exceptions - no matter how well I may know them or how well they know me. My two deepest bestest friends are both liars with me - so we know not to trust anything any of us say; but if it comes to a life threatening situation for any of the three of us, we'd run to the ends of the earth to help them truthfully and honestly until we're safe. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust them to do anything - and they'd never trust me to do anything. Especially if it's important xD basically, I'm part of a group of smartass liars who can't trust a single word anyone says. So in conclusion, I don't believe anything that article said :P

9 years ago
  • What kind of fighting? Wrestling?
  • Hmm.... that sounds fun. Gives me an excuse to sit around all day lol
  • I'm sixteen and somewhat religious, so I'll have to say no to that one...
  • I'll try it :D
  • Just did this. I'm guessing my neighbors think I'm mentally ill because I just screamed "POMERANIAN BLOODBATH" at them. It didn't really add MORE stress on so....
  • I have a hobby. A couple, actually.

9 years ago

You could make love to a teddy bea- I mean.... watch a movie. 

9 years ago

I'm still laughing.... gimme a sec.

9 years ago

Laughing? Good. The wails of innocence appeases my dark lord Cthul- Errr.... I like laughter. That's it. 

9 years ago
  • Kickboxing is fun and uses up a lot of energy. BJJ is also good, but it's sweaty and involves a lot of close contact with people. Of course, the best Martial Art for stress release is...Capoeira. 
  • Too expensive, in my opinion.
  • I'm 18 and agnostic and I'm still a virgin, so...no biggie there.
  • Warm baths are always good, unless it's a blood bath.
  • You kinda missed the point, but at least you're having fun.
  • Good.

@GabbyElla

9 years ago

Oh, I know what to do! Karate. I took it once as a kid and always remembered feeling relaxed.

9 years ago

A lot of places offer "Women's Cardio Kickboxing". You might look into that, also.

9 years ago

I HATE capoeira! BJJ is my main art and it works fine for me. Capoeira just looks ridiculous to me.

9 years ago

It's mainly dance and it has no practical value aside from teaching you some semi-effective footwork. Still, they will work you so hard that you won't be able to move for 4 hours the next morning.

I still say kickboxing all the way, though. BJJ was fun, but I kinda just lost interest.

9 years ago

I used to to some Muay Thai. Fun. 

9 years ago

Ooh. Nothing like getting someone's elbow in your nose, right?

9 years ago

I once got the back of a pad to the chest. Knocked the wind out of me. Still fun though. 

9 years ago

Indeed. What we do is mainly Muay Thai with a little Dutch style and Western Boxing thrown in.

9 years ago

Sounds intense. 

9 years ago

Eh, not too much. One of our instructors makes us jog for like 5 minutes before class (after we do 3 minutes of jump rope). And, oh, it's not just a steady jog. He throws in some figure eights, high knees, and sidling. Which, I suppose isn't much, but still.

9 years ago

Yeah, similar here. Only with us, it started with about fifteen minutes of warmup. Skipping, interupted with bouts of burpies, pushups, crunches, squats. After that, the class begins. 

9 years ago

Yeah, we have this one guy named Willis, who teaches every once in a blue moon. He is brutal. He's like, superhuman. Before class, he does fucking parkour and shit. He has us do all sorts of stuff like what you mentioned.

9 years ago

That showed me true fatigue. Now I know what my Skyrim character felt when I sprinted his Khajiit ass all the way up to High Hrothgar. Poor bastard. 

9 years ago

The poster boy Anderson Silva got his cocky ass handed to him.

9 years ago

Wait, shouldn't your physician prescribe meds for insomnia, if not first discussing about what might be keeping you awake?

9 years ago

Doctors!  I went to 3, they gave me pills to take for pneumonia.  After over a month, and still no relief, I finally found one that was old school, and he gave me a shot of penicillin, and overnight I was cured.  Doctors try to string you along as long as they can and get everything you own.

9 years ago

So...you went to four different doctors, and you just happened to have three shitty ones.  And then you say "doctors rip your money out of you hurrr...."

So...your point?  O.o

9 years ago

Just because you saw three doctors, doesn't mean they are all the same.

9 years ago

Coming from someone who lives in a country with death panels...

9 years ago

We don't really.

9 years ago

What country you from? o-O

9 years ago

England.

9 years ago

England ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in England?

9 years ago

They do! How did you know?!

9 years ago

So then you know what I'm saying?

9 years ago

I feel as if you are implying I misspelt something.

9 years ago

What I'm saying is that there are known knowns and there are known unknowns, but there are also unknown unknowns. Things we don't know that we don't know.

9 years ago

Oh right, you are suggesting that I may be wrong, in which case I would reply, I know. And please, do not torture the English language again, Donald did that once already! Although I think I know enough about the NHS to make a educated opinion.

You could also include the unknown known's but I'd rather not have a torturing session.

9 years ago

Then tell me what Wilbert Harrison looks like!

9 years ago

Never met or saw the guy :p

9 years ago

Say what again. Say! What! Again! I dare you. I double dare you! Say what one more time goddamn time!

9 years ago

Never met or saw the guy :p

Not into the blues maaan!

9 years ago

Watch Pulp Fiction recently Danaos?

9 years ago

He turned into a fucking cultist.  This's why you don't fucking watch cult classics without protection...

9 years ago

Samuel is just amazing.

9 years ago

Hmm...I had someone in Microeconomics who said his mother-in-law, who was English, died of Leukemia, because they (he was referring to the government or a part of it, I guess)  told her they would not (pay to) treat her condition. I don't know how credible this guy was. To be honest, I'm not even sure of how health care works in England...so I guess I really shouldn't be forming opinions on his statements just yet.

9 years ago

If she had citizenship and was asking for treatment by the NHS, then that would be provided for Free. If I am wrong about that, there are likely groups that would give you funds to pay for it. It might also depend on what treatment she was asking for.

9 years ago

I quit having panic episodes when I quit my family.  I still talk to them, occasionally, but their drama is no longer mine.  I haven't sleepwalked since age six, when my parents were going through a rough divorce.  As far as talking in my sleep, that's another story, I come out with some memorable quotes quite frequently.  I don't remember them, but am reminded constantly! :|

9 years ago

I don't know about sleepwalking, however I have had to deal with panic attacks. You've mentioned "thoughts" disturbing you. I don't want to press it, but it might help, if you were to mention those thoughts...or at least give us a vague idea (death, loneliness, suffering, Algebra homework, being paralyzed and hearing everything that people say about you while being entirely unable to respond, seeing something you like being killed in droves and being entirely powerless to do anything about it, etc.)

I've personally dealt with most of those and I might be able to help, if you want to talk about it.