Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Randomization and Replaybility: Prologue

9 years ago

In the gamebook I'm working on (Heroes Guard), I'm trying to randomize a few aspects of the game - not everything is choice-driven. I'm hoping this is one aspect that helps to improve replayability of the game. In one such case, I'm randomizing the prologue of the book which is meant to inform the player they are writing in a journal, trying to recall their past. A few examples:

Mistakes

Was I wrong? Did I make the right choices that brought me here? I’m no longer certain. In this journal I’m attempting to recount all the decisions I made. The mistakes that haunt me. Perhaps I’ll find forgiveness with myself for those I failed. But I did some good didn’t I?

Last Will and Testament

Here-in is contained my final will and testament. But first, you will learn how I obtained my possessions. For that in itself is perhaps my greatest asset. I give you my journal, filled with adventure and wonder.

Parent to Son

This journal of tales is dedicated to my Son. When I no longer walk on this world, you can still hear my stories of adventure and adversity. To my greatest treasure of all with Love.

9 years ago

Heh, cool. 

9 years ago

Thanks!

I hope all these random snippets and things pay off... its a crap-ton of work. I know most IF simplify present all the options or only hide them if you don't have a prerequisite - this would require multiple play-throughs to see everything (which is the intent).

I could see some folks being annoyed by it though, or the possibility they would see some of the same randomization on the next game.

9 years ago

Interesting.

I don't mind playing a good game multiple times.

9 years ago

I would definitely say pursue this, many of us already go through games several times to find other endings so having the possibility of different options and text on the same path would be awesome.

9 years ago

Yay! :) Inspiration to press forward!