Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Character question for a branching story.

4 years ago

Hi all, I am in need of help from experts such as yourselves, because I am not used to stories with multiple branches! I am working on a story with a lot of branching. The idea is you control the main characters development as he either saves the world, or slowly grows bitter and evil. I might even add a madness branch where you just decide to go berserk and kill everyone.

The question is about a character that appears in every branch, but is (currently) very different in each branch. The main story quickly splits in two paths, one with more branches that turn out good, while the other has more darker branches. You can tiptoe down the middle, or take the "good" path and end up evil (or vice versa). Rather than good or evil, you can think of the two branches as "being forgiving" or "harboring resentment." The idea was that in the "forgiving" path there is a sarcastic, funny, whimsical dragon. Alternatively, in the "harboring resentment" branch there is a more intense, scornful, angry dragon.

My question is should both paths have a consistent personality for the same character? Or is that natural to have him be very different in the two branches?

I have him just starting in a different spot as noted above. I recently was thinking that (with some minor reworks) I could have him start out the same in both paths, and then he could change with you as you make choices. I like the two different takes on the same character, but thinking logically, he would have a personality that was preset before you met him. 

If anyone wants to look at the story here is a link: Dark Master

It is not nearly done yet, but the first "chapter" (until you get to the point where the ain character goes to a school) should be done and relatively polished.

4 years ago
If you or your actions "change" them, then it's fine, but I'd be inclined to just use different characters.

4 years ago

The problem is that if this character is introduced at the beginning of the story, before the branching begins, then you've already established some of his personality. Therefore any changes to this character later in the story will need to be explained just as well as the changes to the main character, otherwise he won't be believable.

You could introduce the character later in the story, after the separate branches are established, and this would let you describe him however he needed to be. However, if your readers are then going back to try out the other branches, and encounter three different versions of the same person, they'll probably think your story lacks an internal logic.

So it may just be better to create different characters for each branch.

I had a situation in my last storygame where a key character is introduced very late in the story, with two paths splitting off from that point. He's the same person in both branches, but how you meet him influences how you perceive him. In one path, he comes across as a bit creepy, so when you set off on the final part of your mission you don't take him along, because you don't trust him.

But in the other path, your introduction goes more smoothly, and you learn you can trust him. He's the exact same person in both paths, so the difference is what the main character thinks of him.

4 years ago

He is introduced after the branches split. In terms on each path it is consistent, and makes sense because he is more reflective of the main character in each branch. I am more worried about the internal logic.

The issue is that in my story he is a one of a kind main character. There is only one dragon for each element that bestows power to one wizard that becomes the leader for that type of magic. It would make sense that he chooses someone with a similar personality, so in a way it makes sense. But when you first meet him it makes more sense that he has one personality. I could have him be a different dragon each time, but that would create stories with my world and back story.

I think the whimsical funny dragon would work in either path, particularly in the beginning. It will make several pages on both paths exactly the same. They will diverge quickly after your meeting with him.