Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Variable not working

4 years ago

Hello I have a question about variables. Is it not possible to have a  query inside a query? I basically wanna make my text dependent on gender on some pages and when i do this:

%%GENDER%=%1%As you start sipping your coke quite a cute redhead girl, with green eyes, walks up towards you. "Hi I'm Stacy," she tells you with a smile and extends her hand. "I'm %%NAME%=%1%Bradley%%%%NAME%=%2%Jack%%%%NAME%=%3%Chris%%%%NAME%=%4%Ryan%%%%NAME%=%5%Julius%%%%NAME%=%6%Julia%%%%NAME%=%7%Caroline%%%%NAME%=%8%Mia%%%%NAME%=%9%Linda%%%%NAME%=%10%Sandra%% ," you reply quickly. "Never seen you here before. New in town?" she questions you further. "No just normally not one to visit a dance club." As soon as youve finished one of the army guys walks over towards you. He's quite tall and muscular with blond hair and blue eyes. "Hey I thought you'll just grab a drink babe. Why are you talking to this punk here?" He looks you up and down in disgust. Starting a fight with an army guy while his whole troop is here is most likely a bad idea but i don't want him giving me crap. "Shut the fuck up toysoldier I'm talking to a lady," you tell him. "You better watch your tongue punk before I make you regret your words" he spits at you. You again smile smugly,"Make me."%%

It always messes up the part where im letting the character tell his own name.

When I do only the name part on an empty page it works just fine.

Variable not working

4 years ago
Close the gender one, then continue with the name. You can have as many on page scripts as you want in the same sentence, just make it one at a time.

Variable not working

4 years ago

I do know that yes but that misses the point in that exsample. If I close the gender one and then do the name one the name shows up for both genders on the page regardless of what you pick in the beginning. It was meant so that if you chose male gender you get this happening to you. If you chose female something else happens.

Variable not working

4 years ago
The answer to your actual question of whether you can put a script inside a script is still no either way. But look into $PAGETEXT for what you're trying to do.

If the responses to a male or female character are frequently noticably different, it would be simpler just to make them separate paths. And you may also want consider that this sort of customization is a ton of work that I don't know how many readers would appreciate vs just spending more time developing the characters and plots or adding more branching.

Variable not working

4 years ago

Well i made a workaround by using more variable statements it's just customizable in the beginning with like 4 links so i guess that makes it not that massive.

If you want I can let you take a sneakpeak by activating that on my site.