Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
What I mean is writing stories all in the same setting. How do you handle this in a CYS story? There can only be one real ending because future stories need to reference the old one somehow. So deaths and failures might be easy to say they don't count, but what about things in endings that change the setting in a noticeable way? I could see this being even more of a problem with direct sequels that use the same character. But I'm having a hard time even with a pretty large universe. These characters all know each other and will run into each other, there's only one version of the major events in my mind, but that's only one possibility a reader will have unless there's only one "official" ending. I don't even mind doing that unless that makes everyone hate it, but sometimes "what really happened" isn't a winning ending in the first place and I have a feeling everyone will hate that even more.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
Why stop at a shared universe? There could be a multiverse of infinite possibility!

Shared Universes?

3 years ago

This is something I've encountered here and here. These are stories that are intended to be part of a larger, continuing storyline, and so each story has to end in a way that sets up the next. With the first, I wrote four different threads that led to that one main ending... although I found it ironic that after going to all the trouble of writing all those branches, I then had to unwind them to create that shared ending. In the second story, I tried the opposite approach: writing just one "canon" ending out of a maze of 45 branches. Neither approach was completely satisfactory, and thus I have been hesitating to do a Part III.

A few months ago I started another serial, the first of what may be a four-parter. Here my approach is not to worry at all about continuity, and just let the readers decide what they think is the "best" ending. The main character winds up in a completely different situation in most of the endings, and as mizal remarked in her review it's hard to see how a Part 2 could continue the story, but my solution in this case will be to focus on a completely different character for each story.

And both sets of stories are in the same "universe" so to speak, although that's mostly to save myself from having to reinvent a new backstory each time.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago

Basically as the author, you're God and can do what you want.

If you want to pick one path as the "official" ending to start the sequel from, just go ahead and do it. They do it in video games all the time.

There was a CoG thread bitching about this once and they all sounded like a bunch of entitled faggots saying "Oh well the author shouldn't make a sequel if they aren't going to account for every possibility. That's just lazy, because my character did this, blah blah blah..."

It's like fuck you, I'll do what the fuck I want. Besides, in the scheme of things, it doesn't really invalidate the other endings anyway. I've personally said on multiple occasions, a reader is perfectly able to consider ANY ending to be their own "winning ending" if they like it better than any official epilogue or whatever.

Every branch is a possibility since it's an imaginary story anyway. All of them AND none of them are what "really happened." You're just continuing the tale that you found the most interesting to explore.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
Get bigger balls, got it.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
That's true, however, in COG I have to pay for the story and they promise that your story will continue in X number of books. Then you buy the new one and none of your playthroughs is valid. When they sold otherwise. As an author, you can do whatever except false advertising.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago

I assume with all the fancy CoG coding they have it so each ending has a password or something to continue the game based on the choices though.

I still point to video game developers essentially doing what they want with sequels and will go so far as to disregard most of what you did in the last game even if playing as the same character.

From a CYOA standpoint, you can make things vague if you're using the same protagonist and want to maintain some sort of continuity but still want to do your own thing and not be a slave to the readers.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
Yes. But there are authors that directly say Your saves are not valid. It is certainly rare. I agree with you except when you as an author sell a product saying that it will have certain characteristics and sell that your story will continue and then don't continue and you lost all you had and what you have pay for that is not a good business model.

Here, however, this is free so you can do whatever you want without restriction that is the beauty of no commercial stuff total creativity

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
End said it better than I could have. It's your story, just do whatever works for you and whatever keeps you interested enough to continue on to the next one. As long as the writing itself is good and it has a decent amount of branching, it'll be fine. No one is going to rate it down for that unless they're just REALLY looking for an excuse to bitch and whine.

If you've ever played either of the Nier games, that whole universe exists because the dev took the most batshit and borderline trolling ending from a previous game and spun it off into its own series. Sometimes you just have to trust yourself on these things.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
Follow my heart, got it. .... ..... ...... It's just sitting here in my chest, Mizal.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
Your heart is living too sedentary a lifestyle. You need to buy a leash and take it for walks.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago

I was thinking about this recently. Obviously you don't want to accommodate bad endings in sequels, but you could accommodate possibly 2 or 3 different good endings.

In the sequel there could be some choices that basically allow the player to chose how the previous part ended. This can probably done elegantly as an introduction.

“We can't let just anybody in,” the guard says. “Did you hear that the orcs attacked Northwatch?”

• Attacked is a nice word, they overran the place, but you are not going to tell him that.
  • Of course, they were slain but not before stealing the Aegis, that is precisely why you are here.
  • Yes, you had a pretty good view of the orcs while you slew the hordes. It was your actions that saved the Aegis.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
But if the Aegis is important that's almost three completely different plots that would be needed. And if it's not important it might be better just not to bring it up at all. I've thought of several possible methods like this, including having time travel and parallel universes accepted in the story. Sci fi allows for a lot of possibilities thankfully. I know I just need to get the first story done and not let myself get distracted with the others yet, but I keep thinking about this stuff. Sometimes I have two ideas for a character that contradict each other completely (like an enemy they're always fighting, but I also imagine how cool it would be for them to team up) and with a CYS story I can do both, so that's at least one time when it's a good problem to have.

Shared Universes?

3 years ago
I think it depends how much difference it really makes. Of course you don't want to have completely different adventures, but I imagined in the example the orcs would still attack the next city and either they have the aegis and use it against you or you have it and they try to steal it. So ... basically you can carry over some choices easily and others not so much. For the ones that you don't carry over just take an 'its the way it is approach' and don't waste too many thoughts on it.