Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

I am currently writing a zombie apocalypse story (look on my profile for more information about it) and I have nine characters to choose from in the story. There were originally eleven, but the other two will still be in the story. One question I am wondering is: what is the character most people want to pick. All of their careers are important in a zombie apocalypse as well. They are as follows:

Christopher(male)-engineer

Chase(male)-hunter

Anthony(male)- farmer

Brandon(male)-gun shop owner and gunsmith

Scott(male)-radio operator

Austin(male)-soldier

Ava(female)-soccer player

Grace(female)-psychiatrist

Jennifer(female)-scientist

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

I would recommend (male) engineer or (female) scientist.

As for which would be interesting in a story, (female) psychiatrist or (male) radio operator.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

I'd say people would be most likely wanting to play the storyline of Chase (hunter) or Austin (soldier), mainly because that would involve the most action. Personally I'd be going for Scott (radio operator) and maybe Ava (soccer player), just because it would be interesting to see what happens behind the scenes/to regular people during a zombie apocalypse.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

I discovered that after asking a few people. I am thinking that they may possibly have the least action, because they can only fire a gun and kill a zombie, while others have to use different methods such as kitchen appliances. This can also make it interesting for anyone you play as, I hope. I need to get writing this.

Note: For anyone who enjoys random/fun stories, this story will not be one of those. I am trying to make this as realistic as I can, because zombie apocalypses are not random and fun.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

well said sir, well said.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago
The other thing to remember is a "normal" person might have a more difficult time psychologically handling the zombies at first. Writing a psychological element to the story would add to the realism. If one the more "normal" people immediately tries to act as a zombie killer hero, they're going to fail because they're too damn scared to hold a gun properly enough to shoot let alone having the proper training in the first place (At least in the first stages of the apocalypse) which will result in them getting eaten.

The soccer player is probably going to have the hardest time with it. Then probably the radio guy and engineer. The soccer player is most likely able to run a lot better than the pair of them though.

The psychiatrist is sort of interesting since while she probably doesn't have any combat skills per say, she'd probably be able to resist from breaking down altogether and keeping her head under pressure, the scientist fits under that category as well. (Even more so)

The farmer, hunter and gunsmith would probably be next and the soldier is basically "god mode."

In keeping with the realism, all the characters should try to play to their strengths. The engineer's main concern would be building a stable structure that keeps the zombies out rather than direct combat and the radio guy would try to contact others so he can find a place where there is more people and safety in numbers.

A psychiatrist might find that she's already in a group, but has to keep the group from mentally collapsing. (People going nuts, catatonic, suicide, etc)

Out of all them, I'd say the hunter character is probably the most likely to become the most twisted, you're adding any evil branches. The farmer as well. But you could probably make a case for any of them. (Hell, the psychiatrist could become a cult leader)

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

There are already at least two characters that will succumb to insanity, and all of them can easily do the same in the story (ending up in an endgame if the psychiatrist is not there, the case is too extreme, etc.). Some characters can endure some of the battles taking place, but I don't think any of them will be able to handle how grotesque the world will eventually become.

Thanks for the help. I already have ideas for the story.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

13 years ago

Endmaster, you are a champion aid-giver haha. This sounds cool Anonymous, my only advice is to focus a lot on character-reaction to seeing zombies.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

12 years ago
Oh snap! I'm also writing a "choose-your-own" zombie apocalypse story. Not the same concept as yours though but yes, I agree with you. I'm also making it realistic (well, pseudo-realistic in my case.)

Anyways, It's nice to see someone also have a liking for the zombie genre here.

Good luck with your story!
I'm looking forward to reading it.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

12 years ago
Hahaha are you kidding? We have soooo many zombie stories!

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

12 years ago
Yeah, I know. I've played some of them:)) but they're all either random, fun or both.

Not my cup of tea:P

That's what I meant when I said that, because he's creating a "realistic" Z-Apocalypse story.

Zombie Apocalypse Part 1

12 years ago
When I say fun though, I mean the narration of the story is a bit cartoon-y or something similar to that(not the interactive kind of fun, which I happen to like.)