Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Reality of war

12 years ago

So I have an english assignment tomorrow. I have to write a short story about the reality of trench life(World War I). If you can, can you give an example (Just a short paragraph) below. I'm a really bad writer and I want an example of good work by people who can actually write, so you guys came to mind.

Reality of war

12 years ago

Isn't that cheating?

also

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/allquiet/

Reality of war

12 years ago
Trench warfare in WWI? Simple, compare it to a proverbial hell and state that mortars, faulty weapons, and mustard gas combined to make a surefire deathtrap for the US forces. Be sure to mention "No man's land" and barbed wire fortifications and I think you've got a lot of it down. Also be sure to mention the psychological conditions as well as physical ones.

Reality of war

12 years ago

Replace US forces with French&British Forces. The USA joined in late on both wars and russia still did more work during both.

Reality of war

12 years ago
True, in terms of World Wars, Russia's badassness exceedes ours by a lot.

Reality of war

12 years ago
If you're mentioning Russia in WWI, mention being told to pick up a rifle from the dead because there's not enough to go around. And lack of food, though being a soldier would get you preference over the people in cities. And you'd probably be a peasant with little idea of why there was a war at all, and just want to go home for the harvest.

Which if it's 1917, you'll probably do--desertion or not.

Reality of war

12 years ago

And a poor transportation problem which led to food and munitions shortages along the ranks.

Reality of war

12 years ago
Though that had been a more severe problem in the Russo-Japanese War.

Reality of war

12 years ago

but seeing as his project is on WWI that comment is absolutely useless to him :)

Reality of war

12 years ago
Well yes, though my original one probably was too as his initial post was dated a few days ago and he said it was for the next day :)

Reality of war

12 years ago

I'll give you some ideas, but I'm not going to write something for you.

Well, Trench warfare was just horrible. After it would rain (and then remain humid) in the battlefield, not only would the ground they were standing in become mud, the bottoms would fill with water. So they would be standing for hours, days, or even weeks in water that was seeping through their clothes and boots, and it would get so bad that the skin would just peel off of their feet (look up pictures of trench foot).

There was also the concept of gas warfare which was used for the first time. Wikipedia would provide you with good examples of gasses used in the first world war, but I wouldn't cite it if I were you :P

Not to mention the strange combination of boredom and terror as you would have to stay in a trench for months on end, fearing enemy machine gunners, artillery strikes, gas attacks (later in the war), and snipers that would take your head off if you so much as peeked your head over the trench wall.

I'm not quite sure what your teacher means by "the reality" though, so I would just use a lot of descriptive words if I were you.

Reality of war

12 years ago

Oh, and rats the size of cats due to their feeding on dead soldiers.

Reality of war

12 years ago

And lice.

Practically every solider ended up having lice, which isn't pleasant.

Reality of war

12 years ago

Also Blood/Gore and the fact that the war didn't end by christmas.

Reality of war

12 years ago
You can also add the stupidity of some of the aristocratic officers that were still telling the soldiers to march into battle and fight like back in the "old days." Not grasping the concept that the old ways of fighting a war were obsolete with the invention of the machine gun, mustard gas and all those other new weapons that had been invented to kill a lot of people a lot quicker.

Reality of war

12 years ago

And if you add anything about tanks, make sure that it's later in the war, and that they're not exactly the bad-ass killing machines  from WW2. They were called tanks because the British wanted enemy spies to believe that they were water tanks (holders) on wheels... and they believed it. So yeah, it was just a big metal thing with a single machine gun used to run through enemy machine gun fire.

Reality of war

12 years ago
I forgot to thank you all for the help you gave me. I got a merit, which is way better than what I was expecting. Thanks!