Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

My game is looping now! Urggh!

11 years ago

I have everything set up in my game now, however, when I try to go from location to location after an encounter, I keep looping and ending up in the last place I was, might you know how to fix this?????

11 years ago

Did you delete the page that the initial page led to? I did that once for my story and published it without realizing it had an endless loop. It is an easy fix if that is the case.

11 years ago

Allways worth checking =)

11 years ago

Here’s what’s happening and also the fix:

You have set a Variable(s) to redirect to a page when a certain value is reached. In this case, when your Variable(s) drops below 1 it sends you to a ‘victory page’.

Anytime you use a Variable to redirect to a page, you need to reset the Variable on all links off the New Page – or you will go right back to the same page with each click.

So in the case of the zombie soldier for example, SOLDIER1 is set to redirect to “You have defeated the zombie soldier!” when it goes below 1. This means that on the page itself, you need to reset SOLDIER1 to above 1 on all links off that page. In this case: the link to “Vynin Mountainside Pathway (Area 2)”

I went ahead and set the link on that page to reset back to 75. Note that I also enabled Advanced Variables off the Story Properties Page. This will let you do much more with the Variables. Also, if you want page numbers for all your pages, enable Basic Scripting as well. It will add a := symbol to your links, but you don’t have to use it and it won’t hurt anything – but I find the page numbers very helpful.

Also, if you are going to have a page that will be visited more than once, be sure to check the Count Multiple Box on your Variable adjustments (+) or the adjustments will only work once per game.

Hope this helps :)