Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Question about in-game journals

10 years ago

I was reading a little bit on this topic in the "Help & Info" section, but as I've mentioned before I don't have that great of an attention span. My patience is even worse lol.

Anyway, the question I have is: Is there a way to create a journal that the player can actually type what they want in it? I think that would be pretty cool. That or even like I've heard about in a video game my friend played, the player was able to put messages in the dirt or on walls in certain areas and a random one would show up for future players.

If there is a way to do either one of those, could somebody please fill me in. If not, I think this should definitely go into the Wishing Well.

10 years ago

Both of the ideas are practically impossible, though for different reasons. 

The second idea, is simply impossible since it would change the story game each time one played in it, and as such, screw with how the story games are laid out,

the first, while interesting (and can be done) would take a lot of time to code (you'd need to have the name variable code, which takes a long time to make and to write in game). Though, I suppose adding a notepad like section would be possible, but one could just use Notepad or something to keep notes.

10 years ago

yeah, i figured the second one would be either impossible or EXTREMELY complicated. thats unfortunate because that has potential to be awesome.

and i guess the notepad idea does make a lot of sense.

good thing this doesn't effect my plans at all, just a random question for future reference

Thanks for the reply Aman

10 years ago

You could have a Journal Item however, that gets updated by the Protagonist as the game goes along and would be a usefull tool in keeping information readily accessable.

You do this by having Variables keep track of what areas/events the player has been to and then showing the relavent text as appropriate.