Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Question about the program

3 years ago
Hi, new here! I just had a question about the game I want to make before I get started.

I'm envisioning what's essentially a horse racing game on an alien planet, but with two ways to play:

1) Racing Mode: direct racing where you choose from mounts with different stats, encounter random obstacles and events and have to overcome them.

2) Raising Mode: training, feeding, and breeding your animals to get the perfect mix of custom stats. This mode would have a town to visit and NPCs to meet and possibly romance, and automated (most less involved) races you could enter your animals into.

I'd also like it to be possible to take animals back and forth between the modes, for instance you could win the race with a generic animal in the first mode, then take your prize money and mount and make it the basis of your farm in the second one. Later controlling one of its offspring in the races.

Can all of this be coded into the games here?

I'm so excited to have found this site by the way, the complete freedom offered by text and writing combined with a community that will actually play and talk about the games is just the perfect combination for me and what I've wanted to do.

3 years ago
It's possible. It will be very difficult and complicated and you'll spend a lot of time learning the ins and outs of the CYS scripting language in order to accomplish such a game.

3 years ago
Thanks for the response, I'm reading the articles now. When I can use my laptop later I'll try testing out how variables work here.

3 years ago

Hello! That sounds like a pretty complex undertaking, but any questions you have regarding coding can be answered in the Advanced Editor Forum. We have lots of very clever people here. ^_^

3 years ago
It's possible, but as the others said, it would be quite complex and ambitious.

My initial thought would be that you ought to practice with a smaller and simpler more story focused game, and take some time to browse what other people have done. (BerkaZerka tends to do the code heavier games.)

But you sound like you have a pretty good idea of exactly what you want, so you do you and just let us know on the Advanced Editor board when you reach the point where you have more specific questions.

3 years ago
Yes.

You're welcome.

3 years ago
I leave the fancier work to others, but PM me if you need any help with basic scripting and variable stuff. Because honestly the more I think about it, if you could pull this off I'd play the heck out of this game.

3 years ago
I don't think it would be really hard. I actually picture just a dozen or so pages with scripts hanging off options. For someone who hasn't done it, it will take a little to get the scripts working, but it wouldn't be that hard or complex (depending on how crazy or detailed you want to make the races, anyway). I've though of creating something similar, but with people running the races of different lengths...

3 years ago
It's the Stardew Alien Horse Moon part that I'm most intrigued by tbh.

3 years ago
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

3 years ago
Hi and welcome~

Just need to pick an avatar pick and your transformation will be complete.

3 years ago
I'm going to figure that out soon, it kept saying the file size was too large and I don't have any way to shrink it down on my phone.

3 years ago
done

3 years ago
Not bad~