Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Michael Dashner: The Cheap Novelization of SAO

9 years ago

Oh sorry. I meant the Eye of Minds. This book is... decently written actually, for what's typical of it's target audience. After reading it just for shits and giggles, I realized it was a rip off of SAO...  It's all there. The MMORPG you plug into, the inability to log out. The motley crew of friends. The freaking hooded guy who traps gamers. 

Don't waste your money on this. Jus read the real stuff instead. (Or watch the Matrix.) 

Michael Dashner: The Cheap Novelization of SAO

9 years ago

Didn't the author get the idea from another book? I'm probably just thinking of Accel world.

Either way, if Eye of Minds is the similar, I would love to read it.

Eye of Minds: The Cheap Novelization of SAO

9 years ago

I think it's actually James Dashner.  The same guy who wrote the Maze Runner.

9 years ago

Sorry, James Dashner. I was very tired when I wrote this.

I read it, expecting it to be good like the Maze Runner, to be confronted with ... it's true nature. 

9 years ago

Sadly, the older you get, the more you realize almost everything is actually based on something else.

I remember when Hunger Games was published, and everyone was raving about how new and different and exciting the idea was, and I kept thinking "Isn't this just Battle Royale?"

Anyway, I haven't read any of Dashner's stuff.  I bet he had a lot of pressure on him after Maze Runner to come up with a new series that would be not too similar to MR, but just as popular.

9 years ago

Yeah. probably. I just think he could have taken the time to make something pseudo-original, or at least with some of his own ideas. 

Eh, it happens.