Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Lord of the Rings: Before the War.

9 years ago

I am genuinely interested in seeing how many people know about the occurrences that occur before the War. I'm talking about before the Last Alliance. Anyone know about that time period?

9 years ago

C.S. Lewis is still writing it. If you get to heaven when you die, you get to read it.

9 years ago

I know about the Letters and the Silmarillion. I mean, they explain a lot about what happens before the War of the Ring. Tolkien created an entire word, quite literally, both before and after his series.

So if I'm a good boy I can read it?

9 years ago

Supposedly, the books existed as a side project, what he really cared about was the language.  In order to truly create a language, you have to know the history of the people who speak it. 

9 years ago

I loved his full development of the languages. The canonical lore and history is hands-down my favorite.

9 years ago

I respected how deeply invested he was in the history and lore of his world. Middle Earth was better off because of his devotion, though ... some of it ... dragged a bit. >.> Even a lot. Still, again, respect. I am an LOTR fan, if not an avid one, and The Hobbit was one of my favorite books growing up.