Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

Specifically the differences between the movie and the book.

Anyone else see/read this, or planning to? If not I'll go ahead & spoiler, so I can talk about what I want to talk about.

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

Sadly I have only seen the movie but will hope to soon read the novel

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

I have neither seen nor read it, and I don't have any specific intentions to or not to see it. xD Is it good?

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

I liked it. Many people did not like the film.

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

I see. I may look into it, then. I think I remember mixed reviews over the movie, but I'm not sure ... I can't remember anything about the plot.

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

It's complicated. 

First, it's 1850 & this guy Ewing is in the New World, writing a journal.  There's slavery & a possible murder plot. Halfway through, it abruptly changed to:

1936, where a composer named Frobisher is reading Ewings journal, while composing a piece called cloud Atlas. frobishers lover is a guy named Sixsmith, & then the plot jumps to:

1970, where a journalist named Luisa Rey meets old man Sixsmith, who's a physicist & tells her about a conspiracy & just when it's getting dangerous, it jumps to

2012 & it turns out the whole Luisa Rey story is a mystery being read by a guy named Tim cavendish. Cavendish ends up accidentally committing himself to a nursing home (he thinks it's a hotel) & he's trying to escape and then:

2140 dystopian future Korea, a replicant named Sonmi escapes from her fast food slave job & watches "the ordeal of Timothy cavendish" a famous old movie , & then

2300 Hawaii after an apocalypse, the people worship Sonmi, their holy work is a recording of her confession to a crime back in NeoKorea.

And then the whole thing goes backwards back to the beginning, so you get to see how all the stories ended.

Cloud Atlas

8 years ago

Huh, that seems pretty cool.