Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Turkey Day & Misc. Ramblings

7 years ago
For everyone celebrating Turkey Day, best wishes to all of you and hopefully you have a wonderful time with your friends and family. For those of you travelling, the same, but also, I hope you don't die in a horrifying traffic accident amidst the mass hordes of migrating Americans.

I'll post the December contest sometime late next week, it will be about a two and a half week contest so that we can wrap it up before people start travelling for Xmas. I imagine the theme will impact whether some folks choose to enter, but I'm interested in seeing general interest as it stands now. Let's bring less shame upon ourselves this time.

For anyone who has been working on a nano novel, how are things coming along?

7 years ago

Oh, I think we're long past the point you can claim you don't want everyone to die horribly, and expect anyone to believe you.

7 years ago

Last night, I was at a bonfire with some family and friends, and we began to sing around the fire. We sang a few Christmas songs, which one friend interjected with, "It isn't even Thanksgiving!"

Another replied, "Do you know any Thanksgiving songs?"

Silence filled the air.

So, on the subject of Turkey Day, does anyone know any good Thanksgiving songs?

7 years ago
Thanksgiving Song

Not really a Thanksgiving Song, but it fits the food theme.

7 years ago

That cranberry song? I forgot the title, but it had a lyric that goes "Cranberry, why do other foods stare when I'm with you."

7 years ago
Pritty sure there is a song that goes something like "Carve the turkey, carve the turkey, brother John ..." that would fit that theme. I'm not sure though.

7 years ago

Oh that's easy. One of the most recognizable songs in Western culture was originally written in 1957 to be played during the composer's Sunday school class since he wanted to do something fun for Thanksgiving. He was inspired by his towns sleigh races. To make it awesome, the lyrics included crashing one's sleigh and some sagely advice on how to pick up girls.

Then, people cut out the awesome parts and kept only one of its choruses and verses. The Thanksgiving song became known as Jingle Bells.

7 years ago

I guess I really need to step it up on my NaNo project this week. Not expecting to make the full 50K, but I've been writing nearly every day.

First though, in the spirit of the holiday, I just want to take a moment to be thankful that the Native Americans never had anyone telling them to build a wall.

7 years ago
It's a good thing too. I don't think they were exactly renowned for their engineering skills.