Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Let's HAVE some bad ideas

6 years ago

And so... all the Warrior Cats deletedgames were sent to oblivion.

Has anyone here actually read the series?

6 years ago

It's been long enough ago that I don't think I could remember anything aside from fuzzy summaries, but I recall it starting out as a mediocre but well-conceived fantasy world with increasing levels of retardation as the book went on, getting more desperate and burnt out with each successive novel and author replacement. I can understand if you're a fan as a kid, since children have a poorly developed sense of taste and jadedness. I could also see it stretching into teenhood if they have some investment in the fandom and have created enough fanon around it that the game is actually interesting. However, I don't think there's really any excuse for some of the grown-ass adults I've seen creating IN-CHARACTER RAP BATTLES on youtube and all that shit. Not only has it not been long enough for people who've grown up with the books to actually have grown up to that point, but if you're still making this cringy shit as an adult, it stops being hilariously pathetic and starts being worryingly pathetic.

6 years ago

I respect your opinion on this, but I also have an opinion on the matter. I tend to enjoy the series and it is one of the books that inspired me to write. To me, however, I believe that Warriors is a good series of books which teach children, teens, and adults alike different emotions and scenarios in a more friendly way. Since you don't remember a lot of the story plots and sub plots, I'll give you a few that are a little more mature in matter. One cat dies while giving birth, many cats loose loved ones lost in battles, a few cats have to suffer through the pain of being disfigured and being taunted for it, major family issues, and not to mention the love plots where kits are separated from there native clans....and so on. While I do believe what you say about it being increasingly 'burnt out' with every new box set of books, I certainly do not count it as retarded in any sense. I wanted to point out that 'Erin Hunter' is in fact 6 humans, not one, and they collaborate on the books together. Also, you can't really compare books to other books unless they are by the same author. Everyone has a different writing style, and it's like art or music. You can't really compare Bach to Mozart because they are both good in their individual ways. My point is, Warriors is a pretty good book series, and though your comment was solely opinion based, I'd like to ask you to actually try the books for yourself again. At least the first one: 'Into the Wild'

6 years ago
Only poorly written books about cats can teach children and teens emotions, guys. That's why WC fans are such a mature and well adjusted lot.

(If you'll read the post you responded to, you'll note he's aware there are multiple authors. P.S. They are not like Bach and Mozart.)

6 years ago

I never said that WC fans are extremely mature nor did I ever say that they were like Bach or Mozart I said that Warriors has some mature themes underlying personified cats. I did make the comparison to books and music however. I said that you can't compare different books from different authors because each has their own style. Just like music. Bach and Mozart. He said that they change authors, but in fact each author contributes to every book. It doesn't switch frequently. Also, in my opinion, Warriors isn't 'poorly' written. Just curious, have you read the books before?

I just don't understand why you guys hate on something that brings so many others joy. Is it basically just because so many CYOA's on here were trashy? Guess what. That's why those weren't the real authors. 

I'm not trying to be rude, but I just really want to know why you guys hate on these books so much.

6 years ago
'I just don't understand why you guys hate on something that brings so many others joy. '

Well, let's turn the question around. Why are you and others obsessively fixated with a soulless franchise of mass produced children's books that are, at best, utterly forgettable? Nostalgia for something you liked when you were young is one thing, but adults are expected to have life experiences and exposure to other forms of media that allow them to develop some level of discernment. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the experience of revisiting something you loved as a child and going 'huh, so that didn't age well'.

Look at how many WC fans we've had here, and I can count on one hand the ones who wouldn't make their mental and social defects blindingly obvious at the front and center of every attempt to defend or write about the series they worshipped. That was far more of an issue than them simply being bad writers, and it does not exactly convince me that the ones who aren't awed by it are the weird ones here.

I looked at Into the Wild since that's the best WC series or whatever according to you. No, being expected to memorize the names and descriptions and alliances of something like 60 cats before even getting to the story proper and being thrown into a battle scene devoid of any kind of context, with all those names being thrown around and cats all 'hissing' 'growling' 'meowing' their fairly stilted dialogue at each other, wasn't some kind of magical transcendent experience, it turns out. And, 'yowling'. Hoo boy do they like to yowl.

Add passages absolutely stuffed with adjectives and a reliance on -ly adverbs and you have about what I expected--maybe not immediately, offensively bad--I'd have to read the whole thing to see if that were the case, but I'll give in the benefit of the doubt and assume the plot holds up to a cursory glance--but still fairly forgettable hackwork in exchange for a quick paycheck from an author who's probably better than that in works they're willing to attach their name to.

It's pretty violent for a kid's book I guess? If that in itself is considered a reason for praise, sure, I'll give it that much.

If you personally enjoy it, whatever, no one's stopping you. But this forum of all places is probably not the best place to be going on about why everyone should love ThunderClan.

6 years ago

I can definitely agree with you. I never said it was the most amazing book on the planet, I just said it wasn't 'poorly' written. I'm simply just saying what I think of the series. A lot of what you say is true, so im not trying ro bicker.

6 years ago
Also I'll go ahead and throw in my obligatory recommendation of Watership Down, or classics like Call of the Wild and White Fang as examples of well written animal perspective fiction.

6 years ago

Yeah, I don't really understand the hatred toward everything WC-related around here. Although as far as I can tell, members on this site tend to be (much) older than people in the age group that would actually read those books.

I thought the series was fine, at least from what I remember of it--haven't read those books in over ten years, so I'm not a good judge of this. The concept of WC was pretty creative, you've got to admit, given that it was targeted towards children.

6 years ago
There are plenty of members here who are children. If you get the impression otherwise it's simply that all the really stupid ones get purged.

6 years ago

Fuck me, to teach people different emotions. Because normal human interaction doesn't do that. And fuck, you can't compare books to other books unless they're the same author? That's a load of tosh. I can say Beethoven is better than some kid with a xylophone, even though they're different artists, dipshit.

6 years ago

There is no need to being ill-mannered just because you cannot use more intelligent words than the 'f' word and other vulgar expressions. And while I can see your point of view on the kid vs a great renowned artist, everyone has different senses of style. 

6 years ago
Clearly the f word he should have used is 'faggot', because yep, with posts like this all of a sudden you fit the definition.

6 years ago

I didn't mean to upset you, and for that I apologize. Like I've stated, I see this book series in a different light than you two do. But in all reality, there really is no need to be rude.

6 years ago

What's wrong with the word "fuck"? It was the most accurate word to describe the level of disgust and amusement I had. There's nothing unintelligent about swear words, they, like all words, have a use. In this case, they're useful in responding to dumb cunts on the internet whose head is up his ass.

6 years ago

Thou hast copulated with a cat, O Blazewhisker. 

6 years ago

Really not the kind of pussy Blaze should be trying to fuck.

6 years ago
Oh here it is. I thought this got deleted and I was about to get real annoyed because it's not every day I take the time to write an essay on generic Native American cat people.