Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Any Magical Girl/Henshin Hero stories?

6 years ago

I like those kinds of stories, and I want to see some of them.

6 years ago

Make some then.

6 years ago

Well, I'd like to know if any exist first, so I can play them.

6 years ago
I don't know what the latter is, and I'm okay with not being able to think of any of the former right off.

I feel like School Based likely has the highest concentration of anime on the site. It's also the weakest category and these things may be related.

6 years ago

I can explain the latter: When I say "Henshin Hero", I mean things like Kamen Rider or Power Rangers.

6 years ago
If we have any, they're forgettable enough that I can't think of any examples right off. We actually have a 'heroic good guy' contest going on right now though, maybe you really should consider writing one yourself.

6 years ago

While I thank you for the idea and suggestion, and I am indeed starting writing one of those, I'm writing a more anti-heroic protagonist, so I don't think it will fit if it's a "heroic good guy" contest.

6 years ago
Okay, well good luck.

My standard advice to noobs starting out: Take some time to read and review a few of the top rated stories just to get an idea of what's possible and what quality level readers are looking for.

Don't rush your game out in a rough or unfinished state just so you can publish it. If you're not writing for a contest there's absolutely no reason to hurry. Proofreading is a must; anything you write literally does not matter if it's just dumped on the screen in an unreadable mess.

I'd also strongly recommend you work out a detailed outline for any major paths before beginning to write, and don't underestimate how much work a CYOA involves. A lot of people want to start out with some huge epic and quickly get bogged down in a billion links. (Writing the major paths out in another program and then pasting it over to the site later helps a lot IMO, and means you have a backup.)

6 years ago

Alright, thanks.

6 years ago

I know the kind of things you're talking about, since I watch a lot of tokusatsu shows myself. (To anyone else who's confused: no, it's not purely about anime.)

I haven't seen many stories like that - however, there are quite a few superhero stories although you may have to look around a bit. This might be the nearest equivalent to what you're looking for.  As Mizal mentioned, there is also a contest going on right now featuring superhero/hero stories, so we can probably expect quite a few entries of that genre to be popping up by the end of next month. (Just see the front page of the site for details of that.)

I've considered writing a Kamen Rider storygame myself, but it would seem more like a fanfiction of the franchise than anything else and I'm not sure that I could translate it well into written format. But feel free to write your own, I would love to see a Kamen Rider or Super Sentai-themed storygame on the site, no matter how basic an attempt.

6 years ago
You can try the Homo Perfectus series.