Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Could someone please help me with quotation marks

7 years ago

Here's a sample of writing.  Could someone please help me with my quotation marks.  I have a bad feeling that I'm incorrectly indenting. Thanks!

"What's the last thing that you can remember?"

The simple question brings you back to the dingy room of your childhood.  This was the room you had spent most of your time in until this point in your life.  The small room in the building right around the corner of Euclid Street. The room with the memories of you and your father jumping on the bed when you were little, to the new memories of you and your father spending your favorite new pastime, writing.  These memories now made you sick to your stomach.  They felt like a band-aid being torn off, revealing the terrible, awful truth of your new reality.

"Son, this is vital to finding your father.  What's the last thing you can remember?"

You force yourself to delve deeper into the fresh wound, digging into the night right before he disappeared.  He had seemed frantic, muttering to himself about something.  He ran around the apartment in desperate need of something, although he hid it from you. 

"Dad, are you alright?" You asked sensing that something was very, very wrong.  

"Nothing's wrong son," he replied still tearing through the apartment with a look that indicated that he was under great distress.  "Damn it!" He shouted, making you jump back.  It was one of the very first times you had heard your father burst out in rage in your entire life.  "Stay here, I'll be right back," were the last words that you had heard from your father before he ran out the door.  

They may have very well been the last words that you would ever hear out of him.  You relay the night in perfect detail back to the police officer, hoping that something you say will fill the ever growing void in your stomach that has only been growing since his dramatic disappearance three days ago.

The officer nods, jotting something down on his notepad.

7 years ago

Seem's good to me.

7 years ago
Matthias, maybe you're not the best person to give advice on punctuation.

As for the OP, you're using them inconsistently. Since of the dialogue is correct, some is not. Check the quotation marks section of the link in my profile, it has several examples.

Dialogue is so common in fiction, but dialogue tags are one of those things that even otherwise competent people constantly screw up around here for some reason.