Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

.topia

7 years ago
Hey, I'm working on my next game, and this is an update thread. Please do not reply to the second post.

.topia

7 years ago

/Please do not reply to this post, kindly reply to the OP/

Hello everyone, quick update on what I'm working on (and hope to finish) this month, plus some things I'd like your help with.

.topia

You play as a newly joined cop in a regional bureau of the Ministry of Public Security (in China), who joins around the year 2017. The Chinese are working on a Social Credit system in real life, which is the setting and key topic of this work, how it affects social and political developments in the nation. There are multiple endings based on your choices + random circumstances.

The genre is broadly modern adventure, with a tiny bit of hard science fiction about the near future.

The game is a mix of systems and story, with each building off the other, similar to 80 Days. I do not have a target wordcount in mind, but I could see this easily crossing 25K, and likely beyond 50K as well due to the scope of events. There will be 'regular' activities alongwith separate investigation plot lines and interlinked stories that unfold across the years, all shaping the final world the player will end in.

There will not be a morality meter, but your actions will determine which choices you can make, their chances of success or failure, and their consequences.

I'm trying to make all the characters dynamic (the roles are fixed - you'll have a buddy, a boss, a rival and the like, but who they are, what they think, and how they interact will change from playthrough to playthrough). This will be on the lines of the Shadow of Mordor nemeses system, but with personalities and behavioural styles instead of combat attributes. In case this becomes too cumbersome, will have to relook this, but keeping it on the table for now.

Combat is not a focus of the game, though high athletics will help in certain events.

I will be avoiding items outside of a journal/codex and logbook.

The ending could either be a 'technological utopia,' a very real dystopia (hence the indeterminate name), or something gray in between. The epilogues will take the time span covered up to around 2050, most of the game proper will be between 2017 - 2030 as I see it right now.

This story is what I was working on as a linear story for the duel with Ebon, now shaping up in this form.

I would like to hear your take on this premise, any thoughts that cross your mind on what you'd like to see, and what you think would be interesting events a (growing) police officer would face. I'll be happy to note ideas not already on my list.

If you're living in China / have lived in China, I'd like to chat with you to confirm a few things

Progress status:

Research on China & the future of policing complete. Final count: 300+ articles, 3 TV Series, 1 Movie, 2 Interviews
    Working with a coding team from May 1
    Setting finalized as two cities (starter + main), and you do not play a detective
    Being a mercenary wandering between Scrivener, Excel, Xmind, and a whiteboard to get it all going

Last updated: 24th April

Thank you for your feedback in advance.

.topia

7 years ago

.topia sounds better. You could even make it a promotional domain name!

.topia

7 years ago
Alright, though I wouldn't be able to register .topia itself, maybe something like cn.topia. Locking the name now

.topia

7 years ago

Assuming he isn't busy, Will lives in China. You could probably ask him about Chinese stuff.

.topia

7 years ago
Alright, will drop him a mail, though I suspect he's too nice a person to know much about the local police.

.topia

7 years ago
He is Yakuza. Everyone here is so misinformed just because he has a yellow smiley as his profile.

.topia

7 years ago

I mean, he's probably heard things, at any rate.

.topia

7 years ago
@EndMaster you can see progress (wordcount) on unfinished storygames, right?

.topia

7 years ago

Yes, just click "publish" next to the desired storygame on the storygame page in My Stuff, and the Word Count should be at the bottom.

.topia

7 years ago
My goal was more of if I haven't written 40k words by the 7th of April, take (now and don't return if I fail) 250 points. If I put it on sneak preview, that may work as well (I've seen the sneak preview wordcounts of a number of stories). Anyway, @EndMaster , the honors if you would kindly

.topia

7 years ago
Danke. Also, that's pretty fast service.

.topia

7 years ago
@Endmaster Update from my side: Did a lot of work, but the way things are moving, I sincerely doubt I'll be able to use CYS (or Twine for that matter) to complete this one. I'm working with a coding team for help in building the SQL Query backend this project needs to run in the intended design. Accordingly, I suspect that I may not be able to upload this one on the site in working order, though I'll gladly share a working version with anyone who's interested in playtesting when I reach that level of progress. Unfortunately, it looks like my points are forfeit.

.topia

7 years ago

There's still a bunch of days left. You could just make a sort of self-contained intro sequence/side story just to save your points.

Edit: Nevermind, Negative was being facetious when he said 23 days were left.

.topia

7 years ago
To be honest, I have content, it's just not in a usable format within CYS. Furthermore, as the game won't be able to be put on CYS proper, I can understand End not wanting to return the points.