Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Looking 4 opinions (with justification) on stats.

6 years ago

In a story focused, fantasy-adventure 'storygame', does it bother you if you aren't told what your character's stats allowed you to do? And if it does, why do/don't you want to see said information. I'll put the term 'stats' into some categories so you could more effectively provide an answer.

Currently, I'm thinking of telling the reader what stats are needed to execute a given action for A' and B' and I want to know if, as a reader, you will/won't appreciate my current decision.

A. Character stats that dictate "unnecessary" action.

Character stats are those numbers you see that give an indication/tell you what is your physical/mental state (eg. STR = 10, INT = 20). They usually dictate whether you can or can't execute an action (eg. 'To impress the trainer, STR = >5' or 'To read the code, INT = >20). These actions AREN'T required for progressing in the story (and don't change it's course).

A'. Character stats that OBVIOUSLY change the course of the story (drastically or otherwise)

Same as A, except that the actions that you HAVE EXECUTED obviously impact on the story (by changing its course or progressing through it). For example 'To clear the way and proceed, STR = >20' or 'To decipher death's riddle and save Tom, WIS = >70'.

A! Character stats that DON'T OBVIOUSLY change the course of the story (drastically or otherwise)

Same as A, except that the actions you have executed impact story in unforseen ways etc. For example, when you were able to lift the 'Royal Blade' a foreign monarchy recognised you as their crown prince - which is realised later in the story and subsequently changes its course.

Your character stat has caused said change.

B. Relationship stats/statuses that don't cause changes in the story's plot.

Relationship stats give an indication/tell you what type of relationship you are in with another character (eg.  'Relationship with Anna is: HOPELESS' or 'You are a: FATHER to Jim'). These determine the interactions you'll have with said other character (For a HOPELESS relationship, the dialogue will differ to depict said relationship. If you are a FATHER to Jim, your dialogue with Jim will also differ accordingly). These stats are only for flavour text and other minor add-ons that don't change the progress of the story.

B'. Relationship stats that are OBVIOUSLY linked to a change in the story.

Same as B, except that the relationship status that you HAVE leads to or provides a change in the story's course (eg. a split in the story's plot structure etc.). This resultant change is obviously linked to your relationship status. For example 'Prince Charming likes you! Now you can go to the ball!' or 'Since you're Jim's dad, you (can) have a heart-to-heart with him.'

B! Relationship stats that AREN'T OBVIOUSLY linked to a change in the story.

Same as B, except that the relationship status that you have leads to or provides a change in the story's course that isn't obviously linked to your relationship status. For example, 'Your decision to 'pay-out' Gordbull's Ironworks during the council meeting has led to more swords being used by merchant caravans, leading to less magic users on the road (this shift in the story isn't told to you by the storygame, and will later lead to changes in the plot'.

Your relationship stat has caused said change.

6 years ago
I've seen games take two approaches to this. They'll either only show the options that are accessible to you, or show all options, with the ones not available greyed out. Given the site is a relatively humble place, greying out would tend to be the better option, as it helps the player understand that there were more paths, but it break immersion something terrible. Some RPGs (e.g. Planescape Torment) follow the former path, but show which skill you're using to solve the issue, while others show exactly how much in that skill you need. It comes down to a matter of preference, personally I prefer telling the player what skill is being checked, but not show unavailable options unless the player can do something to reach that level (such as use a consumable/boost).

6 years ago
I may be in the minority but honestly I'd rather stats not be visible at all in anything that isn't combat focused or more obviously an RPG or roguelike.

The text itself ought to provide clues when you take actions. ('After the weeks of practice with [NPC] the sword feels comfortable in your hand.' 'You strain to push the boulder but for all your strength can only rock it back and forth a bit./The idea of pushing the boulder is laughable. But after examining it closely you suddenly hit upon an idea.).

But add numbers to the scenario and it choices will be based on what seems to give the most useful bonuses rather than story events. Basically it shifts the play focus from 'what would I do/what do I want the character to do' to treating it all like a puzzle to solve if you can only plug the right numbers in.

Though of course that's not necessarily a bad thing, just a very different kind of game.

6 years ago
A. and B. appear to be pointless. If I do things in the story specifically to gain a stat and there is no change in the story based on them, I will quickly end up ignoring the stats, knowing they have no effect at all. The other options I do like. If there are stats, and I know there are stats, I want to see the effect of changing those stats. It doesn't have to be clearly obvious because I'll figure them out eventually, but I do kind of like it when you can see things you missed by NOT having the correct stat (like a dimmed out option).

I especially like when the stats are not numerical. In other words, they might be expressed with "little skill, moderate skill, very skilled, expert, etc."

Of course, this is just my opinion, and likely worth exactly what you paid for it.