The Tower of Rowena

a Puzzle / Games by DavidG

Commended by mizal on 7/10/2018 7:48:48 AM

Player Rating6.32/8

"#66 overall, #4 for 2017"
based on 198 ratings since 12/15/2017
played 2,855 times (finished 283)

"march in the swamp"

"A nice jog down the driveway"

"need to be accompanied by an adult"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG.

A humorous adventure. You play as yourself, an adventurer... well, let's be honest, you're a thief. You've heard a witch named Rowena has gathered treasures which are scattered throughout the tower she calls home.

You are free to backtrack as much as you like within the tower and the immediate area. Indeed, backtracking will be necessary to find all the treasures. You are free to return to the beginning and leave whenever you wish. The more treasures you find, the more you'll impress us, so of course you'll want to find all 17.

Certain risky decisions will result in your demise. You'll always be given a warning that you are doing something risky, so that you may change your mind. However, certain risky decisions have beneficial results. It's up to you whether to proceed or not.

Good luck with the treasure hunting!

Wow. Clicking something on the new storygames list and then actually wanting to say nice things about it is such a foreign experience for me I almost don't know what to do, but I had a ton of fun with this.

The open exploration and all the little details when poking around the tower were appreciated, and the writing style was consistent with a sense of humor and just the right amount of blatant anachronism. I don't think I've ever played a CYOA that has so strongly evoked the feeling of a proper text adventure, it kind of makes me want to fire up ADRIFT again.

In the end I sadly didn't manage to get all of the treasures, only fourteen. If there's a way onto the roof I didn't find it, nor did I figure out what to do with the pond or how to break the spell on the prince. (assuming that's possible.) So, a replay may be in order.

The only suggestion I have is regarding the treasure index. Trying to examine several at once requires a slightly annoying amount of clicking. A 'go back to index' link on each one would have been appreciated, or since the descriptions are all pretty short, you could have put them right on the same page with the name of the item.

Anyhow, congrats on your first game, and I'm hoping there are more like this to come.
-- mizal on 12/17/2017 12:43:12 PM with a score of 0
What a fun storygame! I almost left without the last treasure, but decided to search the tower once again and had more luck than brains when I checked the computer again. xD I ended up becoming Rowena's apprentice and doing what a thief does best - stealing! I do wonder if there's a way to defeat the witch in a more permanent manner? I also wish we could have done something about the cursed prince. I thought we could mix up a potion in the Alchemy Lab to lift the curse, but I guess that was not in the cards. It was still a great read. Well done! :)
-- Aurora89 on 4/6/2021 8:47:28 PM with a score of 0
I think your story was good and well written but the ending was so abrupt that I was confused. Did I take the wrong path? I don't think so because I did all of the other options. Over all I think it was a pretty good story
-- Olivesalid10 on 2/27/2021 11:47:00 AM with a score of 0
This story was awesome! It was actually challenging and you had choices! It took me a while to find a good story, and this was great. I think this story deserves an 8. It is great!
-- C on 12/20/2020 1:26:53 PM with a score of 0
I've tried and tried and tried, but I still can't find two treasures. Overall, a great game. There was humor, challenges, and some meaningless things that made it seem somewhat like real life. 8/8
-- CancerTheCrab on 10/8/2020 12:00:44 PM with a score of 0
It’s soooooooo fun
-- Anika on 5/18/2020 10:20:15 AM with a score of 0
It’s soooooooo fun
-- Anika on 5/15/2020 11:02:04 AM with a score of 0
Terrible. No plot, too much guessing, and not much reading. I thought that was the whole point of chooseyourstory.com! Also, the treasures are very dumb.
The sarcasm and humor was ok, though. Who's this dude that narrates the story anyway?
-- Akary on 5/13/2020 7:56:43 PM with a score of 0
Urrrggggg! STILL can’t find the last two treasures!
-- ArtsyGirl38 on 2/20/2020 11:30:19 AM with a score of 0
After mastering the labyrinth using the log, I was finally able to climb down the back of the tower after defeating the cat. I'll be back to make sure Rowena doesn't escape her hogtie.
-- HIV on 1/4/2020 12:37:25 AM with a score of 0