Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Need help on the Link Restrictions

4 years ago

So I'm trying to make my own story and I got to a part where I need to put Link Restrictions on. I've read the Help & Info section on how to use it and tried it out myself. I just can't get it to work the way I want to.

How do I make it so that a player can not click the same link again after clicking it once?

ex.  You then choose to brush your teeth. The 'brush your teeth' option will turn gray, not allowing you to pick it anymore. You continue to press the buttons until the only choice left for you is 'finish'.

The way it is right now, you have to click 'brush your teeth', go to the 'brush your teeth' page, then press 'brush your teeth' again in order for it to be restricted. If you then go to another option, the 'brush your teeth' page will be not be restricted anymore.

If anyone knows how to make it work, please let me know. It will help a lot! :)

4 years ago
1) I hate your avatar.
2) As to your question, you have the link that goes from the Tomorrow page set to a maximum use of one. That's working correctly, and it's not going to effect a link of the same name on the separate page called 'brush your teeth' the player then gets sent to.

Have the original link just loop back and reload the Tomorrow page and it should do what you want.

4 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and your help!

I'll consider changing my avatar now but I don't see why you would hate it.

As for the second part, I've tried what you said and played around with some other things. It doesn't seem to be working the way I envisioned it but oh well.

4 years ago
You'll likely need to look into creating some actual variables instead of just using the one time only box on the link. That and a bit of scripting will give you a lot more flexibility. It's possible to reload the 'Tomorrow' page and each time add some extra text to it about brushing your teeth etc, and greying out the link. Or various other things....the question is really how complicated you want to get with something that I doubt will ultimately affect the overall plot much. If there's any other specific questions you have though, just let us know. I'd make learning to create variables and check them with a basic IF/THEN script a priority though, that's something simple that opens the door to 80% of anything else you might think to do.