Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 2/4/2017: Too much work for now

[Site] Notification structure

7 years ago

I recommend changing the format of notifications to automatically condense multiple notifications from the same thread.

Sample:

[Thread Notify] in [Feature Wishing Well] has 2 new comments, including comments from StrykerL and (name). Latest comment was at 1:04 AM

The current notifications don't say anything about what the comment was or who wrote it, changing the format of the notification would solve those points.

7 years ago

I think this would only be feasible if it also highlighted which posts were new once you clicked to the thread. In the current structure, each notification links you directly to where the post is in the thread, so you can easily find it. Seems like too much work for the payoff.

7 years ago

Not necessarily, I usually scan for new discussions whenever I get to the thread. How about two views in that case, one for condensed (only linking to the thread), and the wider one pretty much what we already have today (linking to the post)

Alternately, is there any way to highlight posts by recency within a thread, such as say by them having a darker shade background box. If you can store when the thread was last visited by the profile and check with the thread's comment timings, that would work just as well

7 years ago

It's all possible, but i don't think it's worth the work.

7 years ago

Fair enough. To be honest, the feature is mostly relevant for the most active members across threads. Regular Joe users usually don't experience the amount of notifications 'power' users do. Might as well shelf this for now then, there are more important things.

Impact factor: 3/10, 9/10 for power users though (but they do already have unfollow this thread as an option)

7 years ago

Also it doesn't even cut down on the number of times you have to clear your notifications; it's just a little more scrolling.