Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Wizards

10 years ago

A big list of types of wizards:

Pyromancer: someone who controls fire

Necromancer: Someone who controls and/ or talks to the dead

Druid: Someone who makes magic potions, and uses plant magic

Illusionist: A wizard who make illusions

Warlock: A fiery dark magic wizard

Alchemist: A druid, but is more makes more powerful potions, but without plant magic

War Mage: A mage who also uses a weapon.

Hydromancer: A person who controls water

Aeromancer: A person who controls air

Mind Bender (or telemancer): A wizard who does mind reading, and makes illusions, but only for one person

Hypnotist: A person who controlls minds

Rune Smith: A person who writes runes as spells

Enchanter: A person who enchants weapons and/or armor

Mage: Your basic wizard

Golem Master: A person who creates and controls golems

Cleric: A person who uses holy magic and healing magic

Storm Mage: A person who controls lightning/weather

Healer: What do you think?

Beast Master: A person who controls animals

Elemental: A person who has a weak control of fire/water/air/earth

Chaos Master: A dark magic war mage

Demonologist (summoner): A person who summons demons

Sorcerer: A wizard who does teleporting/invisibility type things. A mage who does less fighting and more studying of magical artifacts, etc.

Chronomancer: A person who controls metal

Shapeshifter: A person who can change his apperance/turn into an animal

Bloodmage: A dark druid

Cyromancer: A person who controls ice

Divinator: A person who tells the future

Time Mage: A person who controls time to an extent

Distorter: Manipulates reality

Evoker: Someone who creates something non magical out of nothing 

My question is, which combination of the two should i make a storygame about?

Wizards

10 years ago

Shape-shifting time mage.

Wizards

10 years ago

I'm a Mage in training

www.spellsofmagic.com

Wizards

10 years ago

that is the dumbest website i have ever seen (no offense if you weren't joking.

Wizards

10 years ago

I used to go on that website when I was like five, so don't worry.

Wizards

10 years ago

A chronomancer is a time control wizard, not someone who control metal.

Wizards

10 years ago

wow, i was really off

Wizards

10 years ago

Now a Chromomancer on the other hand, can really trick out your ride...

Wizards

10 years ago

Why is there no lightning? -.-"

Wizards

10 years ago

Nevermind. I see. How did I miss that one alone?

Wizards

10 years ago

Some of these seem like they could overlap, like the Storm Mage and the Aeromancer for example.

Anyway, time mage demonologist.

Wizards

10 years ago

Yes. I will do that. If there's no better sugestions

Wizards

10 years ago

Druid Hypnotist. Mass Mind Controlled Humans protecting plants.

Wizards

10 years ago

Divinator and Distorter.  Though, you can already do that with Divinator alone, if you know how to prevent and cause events...

Wizards

10 years ago

Ooh, actually, you can pretty much do every single power here by distorting reality.

Wizards

10 years ago

I meant like turning swords into rubber, or changing gravity, etc.

Wizards

10 years ago

Disortion of reality would allow you to do everything, you could just disport reality to the point where the other powers would be possible. What you're describing are two completely different powers: Gravitokenesis and Transmutation. Every power fits within the scope of disortion of reality.

Wizards

10 years ago

Ah, but you'd have to be careful, since if you can breathe fire, others like you might be able to also...

(I can only imagine the horrors that would ensue if you put this kind of guy into that Light Space CYS, fucking up all reality in a random-ass time-space void)

Wizards

10 years ago

Basically a reality warper with time control powers would be the most over powered combination.

Wizards

10 years ago

Damn, that would be a bit sad...

Wizards

10 years ago

Not necessary, one could distort reality by moving time backwards.

Wizards

10 years ago

Anyways, I still suggest shape-shifting and time travel. Huge story potential, and you don't have to worry about screwing with your past self. (Though it might drive you insane trying to make a time-travel story that would make sense, the shape-shifting could help)

Wizards

10 years ago

The Time Traveller's Wife, and now we know why the guy got shot in the first place!  (They thought he was a deer >.>)

Wizards

10 years ago

Anyways, all magic is a form of reality distortion, so making a magic generally called reality distortion would essentially give you all magical powers (The ultimate overpowered character)

Wizards

10 years ago

I have an idea! LET'S USE MAGIC TO MAKE FIVE HUNDRED BACON PIES AND STEAL AMAN'S MUSTACHE!

Wizards

10 years ago

Why on earth would anyone want to steal that flea infested face rug?!?

Wizards

10 years ago

Ewww. Not for the pleasure of having it! For the pleasure of having Aman TOTALLY FREAK OUT!

Wizards

10 years ago

If you want to go more "mundane" you could pick a combo which doesn't have as much raw power, like say an Alchemist Enchanter.

Wizards

10 years ago

Or if you want to go "God-mode" You can pick the Time Divinator. (Time mage and divinator.)

Won't matter what kind of shit you can throw at him if he can see the future and change it in short bursts.

As for my personal choices, I'd go with a Blood-Golem Master. :P

I could use normal golems to crush people's blood out and then use that blood to make an army of blood-golems which is likely more terrifying than an army of undead. lol

BTW; Blood Mage description should be a bit more descriptive than "A dark druid". It gives the impression of some druid who makes potions and plants only to turn them evil with some blood or something.

I can't really picture anything blood related out of that. Maybe plant blood?

Better Description(In my opinion): A form of magic that uses blood as it's source of magic instead of other sources to fuel the users magical abilites. 

For your original question: I'd recommend going with a Blood-Mage + Cleric. It easily sets your character as either a fallen priest or a cultist type. It also makes it easier to make up a religion in your story if you need it.

Wizards

10 years ago

Blood magic has more to do with the manipulation of blood (Boiling it, drawing it out of the body, telling information about someone using it) than using it as a source of energy. In fact, saying that blood magic was using blood as a source of energy makes very little sense. That wouldn't be blood magic, that would be magic, with blood used as the energy source.

Also, being a time mage and a divinator most certainly does not equal god-mode, it's practically worthless unless you use it to kill people or win ridiculous amounts of money, and then change the world by spending the money.

Seriously, why do you think that just because you can see the future and travel through time that you'll have any meaningful effect on human history? What are you going to do with these abilities of yours, hmm?

Wizards

10 years ago

Kill your family line and then use this knowledge of the future to technologically advance my body so I can act as an immortal ruler of the world starting from the early civilizations. :P Who needs money for this? I'd basically be burning Duralumin+Atium all the time with the ability to actually travel to the future/past.

I can't see much weakness to this, after all if you get into a position you can actually kill my new tech-body then I'll just travel back in time and change your path so you won't try to kill me. Also you wouldn't know that I have time-travel abilities since I can just erase it's use by time-travel. 

Wizards

10 years ago

This isn't... whatever you're talking about. This is time travelling.

As a divinator and a time traveller, you have absolutely no offensive skills whatsoever. How are you going to kill or influence anyone, ever? If you go to the future you'll be ostrasized and out of touch with everything (Especially if you're far ahead enough that you'll get technology as advanced as what you're talking about)

Hell, you'll likely be captured by goverment officials. 

And going back in the past would never work for anyone. The only way to go is forward, going into the past causes way too much crazy time-travelling insanity.

Wizards

10 years ago

Which is probably why it's better to have time travel and distorter to "check" any fallacies and paradoxes you might've made.

Wizards

10 years ago

Of course as poor Trelik learned, reality warping and time control makes one go quite mad.

Wizards

10 years ago

He looked in places where he shouldn't have.

Wizards

10 years ago

Remember class cthulu is NOT a toy.

Wizards

10 years ago

If playing around with time makes you go bat shit insane, why dident the necros mother go ko-ko?

Wizards

10 years ago

Trelik wasn't as skilled for one thing, while the Necromancer's mother had natural talent for it and a lot of it. (Pretty much like her son with the necromancy and all).

It's probably fair to say he was already going mad long before he attempted his "time travel revenge" given that he was consumed with hatred and jealousy at that point.

Again though I imagine beta's story will be different and have it's own set of magic "rules."

Wizards

10 years ago

I would think this depends on how accurate my time-jumping is, it also depends on what happens to my past self(Won't care about my future self since it technically won't exist).

I would like to know how powerful these skills are otherwise I lack the info to make an argument. lol

Wizards

10 years ago

I'm assuming that we're at the maximum spectrum of power for each skill.

Now, the accuracy of your time jumping will be unquestioned. This also means nothing.

It's precisely the effects you'll have on your past self that make time-travelling to the past a problem. First off, if you're trying to fix a problem or shape the past, then you fix the problem or shape the past, then there's no point to it since your past self had absolutely no reason to do anything like this. This will result in a time paradox, and would likely throw you out of existence. Should you ever return to your own time, there are two different possibilities:

1, everyone and everything you know remember the past as they lived it, and you remember it as you lived it, meaning that you don't really know anything about anyone there. 

Or 2, and the most likely: You will cease to exist since the very reason everything happened this way was destroyed. Either this or when you return, a different version of you, true to the existing time line, would be in your place.

Wizards

10 years ago

Seems like shapeshifting into an animal and a beast master would fall into the druid realm as well.

A Storm Mage, would be called an "Electromancer"

You also forgot "Terramancer" a wizard who controls elements connected to the earth.

If you're feeling steampunkish you could include Technomancer. Magic that affects or is gained through technology.

Wizards

10 years ago

Seriously, though, it depends.

If you want a more "slice of life / non-heroic" character, try doing a rune smith / sorcerer / enchanter(ess) hybrid.  Sure, you won't be blasting the literal hell out of anyone anytime soon, nor will you be plundering anyone's house, but maybe you could end up as a good businessman / woman.  Maybe run a shop your master had for years, kinda live the easy, average life.

If you're aiming to thrust players into metagame as soon as their virgin eyes read the first words, maybe go for a Chaos / Distorter hybrid?

Wanna go into the magic show?  Illusionist and Evoker hybrid!

Going for the police approach?  Mind Bend / Time Mage!

Okay, if you really, really, really wanna raise hell and be the bad guy...

Distorter / Illusionist.  Teleport body parts where they have no business of being teleported to.  Fulfill your sickest fantasies at your own whims, summoning whoever, whenever, however.  Put an entire city under an illusion of safety, and open up a black hole in an orphanage / school / church / hospital when they least expect it.  Enslave good guys, subject them to tortures no man or woman should bear.  This is THE shitstorm combo, besides the all-too-easy-to-screw-over Distortionist / Time Controller.

Wizards

10 years ago

Hmm... mind bending cop, interesting

Wizards

10 years ago

"But sir, I wasn't speeding!"

Yes you were

"Yes I was"

Wizards

10 years ago

Lol

Wizards

10 years ago

Thus leading to a dystopian, cop-ruled society.

Wizards

10 years ago

For God-mode - Time Mage + Distorter

For "only" heroic - War Mage + Enchanter/Evoker/Rune Smith

Interesting possibilities - (any which can create objects) + Illusionist 

Wizards

10 years ago

Sorcerer/Distorter would allow for teleportation distortion, make a fortune in the transportation business, teleport brains into the sun etc.

Distorter/Evoker would allow for creation distortion such as creating a large amount of non-magical fire/water/diamond/minions etc. This could be used for stuff like fireballs and dropping rocks on people (rocks fall everybody dies anyone?) or making loyal minions or valuable substances.

Necromancer/demonologist allows for demons and undead or undead demons.

Necromancer/evoker could raise undead and equip them with weapons made by the evoker element.

Chaos master/Demonologist could allow for some weirdness, make a nice enemy or protagonist, if protagonist then you have the issue of their magic's inherent destructiveness if villain they can make huge messes for the protagonist to clean up+have some strange abilities and motivation. This one is good for general weirdness.

Wizards

10 years ago

Necromancy and Demonology.

Yeah, that always works out well...

Wizards

10 years ago

Always. No exceptions. It's the epitome of perfection and excellence. Nothing could possibly go wrong, ever.

Wizards

10 years ago

You didn't have the demon as your teacher in Necromancer, didn't you?

Wizards

10 years ago

The point of that combination is how badly it works. It might be good as a reason for issues in the storygame sorta like how the great lich lord is the reason for the bans that are a plot point in necromancer. As far as I know you can't have a demon as your teacher in necromancer, big red gets killed and vilvex has demons kill you if he is freed.

Wizards

10 years ago

Not really.  You didn't get the epilogue on the demon-trained path?

Wizards

10 years ago

I seem to remember a path in necromancer where you attempt to learn demonology, and are promptly killed after doing something with a big, powerful-ass demon

Wizards

10 years ago

You mean Velzix, but I think Swift was implying that Big Red sort of indirectly guides your path with all the books you take from his home.

My comment was more of a jokey reference to Necromancer anyway. Beta's story of course will be different and have a different set of rules.