Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 10/16/2013: 1. The only way skill should get you points is through skillful writing. This is a writing site. 2. Alex has said that he won't be dedicating more time to duels. If he's working on this site, it will be in a more central capacity.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I was thinking about that Lucky Dueler trophy today, and I thought, wouldn't it be nice to have a dueling game based of skill? Something like chess or checkers, sure it might take awhile to finish a game, but I think that having a higher wager amount would make it much more exciting and hence faster.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

If duelling was based on skill then it's more likely that somebody could accrue a large number of points by duelling rather than rating and writing storygames and contributing to the site. I like the idea but I reckon the random nature of duels justifies the point wagers.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

hmm, yeah that might be a problem, but maybe not. If the point wagers remain the same (max 5 gain), then I could (in theory) wipe the floor with people and rack up some points, but the number of people who are on often enough to play a full game of chess is rather small. I'd say currently that at your best you could only get 50 points in one wave of games, which isn't even the majority of the first trophy and rank. If you would keep getting 50 points every week or so that would be a problem, but I feel that most people wouldn't want to play you again if you destroyed them, and if you didn't massacre them they have a good chance of taking ten points away. It's not like a lot of people know how/like to play chess or checkers (or games along those lines) today anyway.  

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I would like this (And totally not just because I rule at both chess and checkers)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Perhaps not chess or checkers, and not the randomness of rock paper scissors

Tic tac toe?

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

(Rule at that too. Note: Whoever starts second wins)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Not always.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

If the player is an idiot. ;P

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

No...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wxJPzcBzZxo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwxJPzcBzZxo

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Doubt that would work on most people though. Ironically enough, amateur players would be more suited to beating you should you use that tactic (As they often leap at the chance to take the middle)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Hmm, you know, perhaps we should have a wager system instead. 

For example, Drak and I lay down points to see who is the first to write a 6 rated game. Would make people want to write stories, and give some coppetion. 

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I don't know, forever is a long time to wait for points, haha :)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

XD

Thats the goal, though. You make each other race to write, and hopefully post a story within a couple months, ;P

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

But then you'd have to make more points for publishing a high rated story, which I'm all for by the way.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Not neccasaraly, (though I'm all for it). Just make you gain points for winning your wager. :P (and make the highest wager be like 1000 points)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Hmm. What about some small scale poker? (Like, more than 2 people duel?)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

That would be hilarious. XD

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I'm serious though XD

@Drak, what do you think? (Or anyone else for that matter)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I'm not sure how one would play poker without other people's face there for you to judge.

But other games would work out well. However, this is a story writing site, not a game playing site. Going that far into the duel system would give it more importance than it deserves, and would make the site's actual purpose lose meaning.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Oh yeah... (Though poker can be played online, but you're right, to much game based)

Still think tic tac toe could work.... Sorta

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I think 10×10 tic tac toe would be good, and that wager system also seems good.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

But poker night with Drak, Aman and BZ would be hilarious. =P 

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Hmm, I actually think the 'write a story for points' wager system is a good idea :)

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

This site is a writing site, so I feel that there is no need for more 'games', as we are not trying to become a game site. But wagering on writing a story of a certain standard sure seems like a good idea that will encourage more people to write better stories.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

Yes, I'd like the wager system very much too. Tic-tac-toe is a simple game though, it won't be too big, as you get ties most of the time, but it isn't completely random.

Wager system is more important though.

Dueling With Skill

10 years ago

I'll back the wager system (if that counts for anything =P)