Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Story Help

9 years ago

It seemed like a easy thing to me at first, but once I got to actually making one did I realize it was extremely difficult for me. So I deleted it, started making another one, deleted that, then started making another one, and I deleted that too. Any advice on making a storygame?.

Story Help

9 years ago
Make about 15 more stories with descriptions that explain the whole plot - then delete one every week, and make new stories with better descriptions and make 1 page in the story. Then let that ferment for about 2 months and come back to it when you have nothing else to do. After you write half another page into that story, move on to another story that you've prepared and have a description of the plot for. Write the first page of that, and watch YouTube videos the rest of the day. Afterwards you can browse forums, play games, and distract yourself. This process will go on for about 2 years - where every 2 months, you write 1 page of the game. Eventually you'll have a nice short story that is very well-written. Basically, procrastinate. So far it's worked for me :D

Story Help

9 years ago

If you set your mind on doing something, then do it. Don't change your mind half way through. In other words, if you want to succeed, you need to dedicate yourself, and make sure it's something you want to do before you start doing it. 

Story Help

9 years ago
I changed my mind... you're right. :D Hooray this is the original post I made to reply...woo!

Story Help

9 years ago

cheeky So you changed your mind on changing your mind to not changing your mind? 

Story Help

9 years ago

What are you two talking about?. I don't get it?.

Story Help

9 years ago

I would start to plan everything out on your Notepad, that helped me w/ Iron Man (spoilers, duh...)

Story Help

9 years ago

Try to keep writing, even if you don't really know how you want to continue with the story, even if it's a paragraph per week. You'll probably find some inspiration to carry on with the story. It's always better to delete some lesser pages afterwards than abandon a story because you can't find the inspiration to continue.

Story Help

9 years ago

What was difficult about it? Could you give us some more details?

Story Help

9 years ago

Yeah. I'm currently going extra slow on the one I'm making now. It's called ''The Wooden Door On The Second Floor'', inspired by ''room 1408''. I want the whole adventure game to take place in a single room, which is going to be hard to do, but I'm going extra slow on it so I won't suddenly delete it because I feel I made too many mistakes.

Story Help

9 years ago

... Specifics, please. What exactly, about the story writing process, are you having trouble with?

Story Help

9 years ago

I don't know. I begin writing, and when I make it to a random point in my writing do I begin to think ''No, this isn't right'', and I just delete the whole story.

Story Help

9 years ago

Writes a 300 pages long story, then suddenly realizes that the whole story is wrong. Solution? Deletes the whole thing. Starts over anew. yes

Story Help

9 years ago

Other than the ''300 page'' thing, you're kinda right.

Story Help

9 years ago

So you go off on tangents? Dude, do an outline. >.>

Story Help

9 years ago

Okay, you're still not being very specific. We can't help you if you don't know what you want help with. 

That said, I can sort of guess as to what you might be struggling with. I'm assuming that when you get the idea for a story game, you just start writing it with little planning (could be an incorrect assumption, but I don't have much information to work with). Don't do this. Planning and pre-writing is essential to creating a thoroughly coherent game (for most people; it seems, in my other thread "Your Writing Process?," that some just sort of dive in and it works out well enough). 

What I do is make sure I know, roughly, what the beginning, middle, and end of the story should look like. Of course, a story game will have many ends. Thankfully, most story games have two or three real/good/perfect ends, so try to structure your story the same way. NOTE, this is just something to help you keep on track with your ideas. This method probably would work with a massive story encompassing many, many smaller stories in the vein of Endmaster's Necromancer (I just can't help but bring that story up, can I?), but I feel those types of stories are the exception (if a very impressive exception).

Take a look at the thread I started to give you a couple different perspectives on the writing process. Almost everyone did something different, and it was very educational. Hope this helped!

Story Help

9 years ago

I know what you feel but in my problem everyone hated mine because it was about warrior cats but i got some help and I found out that I just needed to add stuff to the story and cut some away and now people like it.