Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Alright, I could use some help with this one

9 years ago

I'm trying to put together a Hunger Games fan fiction game. I want to strike a balance between game and book. AND, I want to make it as enjoyable and true to the series as possible--which is why I'm using a year that was never described in the books--the fifth Hunger Games. I want to take the player from the reaping ALL the way to the end of the game, possibly to being Victor if they play properly (I plan on making this VERY difficult to achieve though).

My problem is the sheer SCOPE of the thing. There will obviously be a LOT of choices, and given my total lack of knowledge with variables and scripting, I plan this to be just a simple one at first, picking choices that lead to other things. But, given i want the choices to really make a huge difference, this means there will be a CRAPload of pages. In order for choices to REALLY mean something, I think EVERY choice will have to branch of into it's own story arc, I don't see how I could "re-use" pages like some do.

What do you guys think? Am I making this overly complicated? any ideas? Will this be too big a project for a "simple" game? Also, does anyone have any ideas on what they'd like to see in such a game? I obviously can't make use of stats or items (though when I learn how I want to make an advanced Hunger Games book that does this). Basically, just looking for some advice/ideas for this particular story idea.

9 years ago

I don't mean to seem rude, but I feel the need to be very frank here. Hunger Games has been overdone on this site. There are numerous story-games based off of the books. I would not recommend this for your first story-game. However, if you are intent on doing it, you might try to find an experienced user who enjoys and has extensive knowledge of The Hunger Games and ask them to be a co-author.

Okay, now, as far as the story, I would have to say that "fifth" is a little early. I haven't read the books, but I know that would be only five years after the districts rebelled against the capital. So, the revolution would still be on everyone's minds and the reaping would probably be a whole lot...rougher. Also, remember that the books are dystopian in nature, meaning that even if you win, you don't win.

Again, if I were you, I would hold off on making such a monumental, labor intensive, hard to pull off game until I had a little more experience. You might try writing a basic story-game or two first.

9 years ago

Thanks for the advice, James. I know a LOT of people probably write fan fics (and CYOA too) based on the series in some fashion, but how many write them *well*? That is what I'd like to do--although I might actually hold off on it and make a smaller, simpler project first. I've been thinking on that, but so far have no real ideas that wouldn't be almost as complex :o

The way I want to write it though, it would be VERY labor intensive, but also I would like to hope very good and worth the effort eventually. When I **do** decide to write it, I just might go the way of co-author. In your guys' opinions, is there any particular genera or type of CYOA that this site needs more of? I can write most any genera, and I do love writing so if there's something that there's a need for, I'd be happy to help fill it :)

9 years ago

Western genre. If you can pull that i off i will love you.

9 years ago

Hmmmmm...I think I could work with that. WESTERN western, or could a crazy crossover idea, like a fantasy/western mix work? ;)

9 years ago

I was thinking a true western but mixing it .....why not?

9 years ago

I'll have to cook up a plot idea (I actually wanted to write a full blown western/fantasy novel mix), but I am pretty sure I can :) I'm a HUGE fan of firefly, which kinda turned me onto REAL westerns later down the road. Red Dead Redemption helped too, I must admit xD

9 years ago

Yeah :D I loved Red dead! I can link you some western gamebooks for ideas if you wanted.

9 years ago

Hells yes! I could use some ideas--I try not to do cliche stuff like *you are after a rogue bandit, trying to make a living* stuff. If I'm going to work on a CYOA, I want it to have a nice plot for everyone! Also, being my very first one, I'd like to set a precedent for future works--first impressions and all that >>

9 years ago

Do you have an Android?

9 years ago

Yep, I have my tablet--have some really great games too, Fish Farm 2 being one of my favorites that I actually payed for xD

9 years ago

pm

9 years ago

I didn't get a PM O.o

9 years ago

:D

9 years ago

James has a good point. If you really want to do it though, Taking your time is the best advice possible.

9 years ago

Warrior Cats + Hunger Games = Can't Possibly Fail.

Call it. Hunger Warrior Cat Games?

;)

9 years ago

Hungercats are on the move. Hungercats are loose.
Feel the hunger, hear the roar, Hungercats are loose.
Hunger, hunger, hunger, Hungercats.

9 years ago

I was actually planning on making a "Hunt the Warrior Cats" game but it got scrapped.

9 years ago

After scanning the first sentence of each of paragraphs...

Here is my advice.