Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Stuck on How To Start! (Writer's Block!)

8 years ago

Can you guys help me out? I want to write a sci-fi story involving a race of blue octopi that want to devour all of Earth's children. They make a high-pitched, screeching sort of noise and they smell of rotting eggs. I wanted to do a first page, before the story like a Prologue. Can you help me out?

Oh, by the way, My story is called Plutonium and if you want to know more, then PM me or post here. Thank you. 

Oh, and my Grammar sucks.

8 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/help/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=54

^Article about writer's block.

That's really all I can do for you now. A story of  a Cthulhu race trying to devour children...

8 years ago

Thanks! I'll read that, and see if it helps. The thing that would REALLY help would be if someone actually wrote the first page for me. But that isn't gonna happen, unless I'm in Heaven. crying

8 years ago

Well, it's your story isn't it? The first pages are always the hardest. A strategy I use sometimes is to start writing right after the beginning of the story. Then come back to it after you know the plot better.

8 years ago

... I think it's more logical to figure out the plot first before starting a project.

8 years ago
Many classic stories start out with the "average day" -- a day before anything exciting happens so the reader can see what was happening before: Little Johnny goes to school and is bored. Julia goes to work and is sick of her job. The ships sail in and everyone unloading the ship just goes on unloading the ship.

But some stories start right in with the action: An octopus grabs a ship and pulls it down. A small fishing boat has trouble with the outboard motor because an octopus jammed a dead swordfish into the blades so the fisherman would look over the edge and get pulled into the water.

Or you could go with something that appears to have nothing to do with the story: a chapter about processing plutonium rods at the nuclear reactor in Iran.