Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin

6 years ago

Anyone wanna talk about the anime and/or manga Attack on Titan? I'm a HUGE fan looking for other fans to just discuss the show with, speculate, theorize or let others know your opinion or ideas from the show/manga. Talk about anything AOT related here, I'd just really want to have some AOT fan friends to talk to at times. :D

6 years ago
You come across as a little bit too clingy, but I'll bite. The first season of the anime had far stronger pacing (no flashbacks every episode), and nailed the feeling of helplessness vs. an unknown and unrelenting terror. The second had barely any character development and pretty much just served as a bridge between Season 1 and 3, clocking in only 13 episodes or so. My biggest concern at the end of the first season was that they'd somehow stumble on keeping the Titans scary or feared once the secret behind them is revealed (the unknown is always scarier than the known), but I'm happy to say that the second season's invoking of a larger myth arc kept things fairly interesting. As for the manga, I'm happy about the middle-east war arc's presence in the overall story, but still feel the plot is taking its own time, perhaps to its detriment (I haven't read the manga, the art style just puts me off, but I have read the arc summaries on the wiki). The OP for season 2 focusing on hearts and of all things floating dinosaurs and whales alongside the Beast Titan made absolutely no sense to me.

6 years ago

Yeah. I kind of wondered what was with the whales and dinosaurs and all. I mean...they've lived in the Walls for a hundred years with little to no knowledge of anything past that, so they wouldn't even know what a whale or dinosaur IS...some people I've heard speculate it's some kind of foreshadowing, but I doubt it.

I do read the manga, and yeah...the plot IS having a bit of a slower pace. I don't mind it all that much, but I do wish they'd pick up the pace just a little. We haven't seen the main cast in forever. The second season was a bit disappointing to me, but I kind of wondered if that was because I could already predict what was going on, having read and caught up with the manga and all, but maybe it was the flashbacks. There's DEFINITELY too many of them.

Is there any particular reason why the art style throws you off in the manga? Is it just that the images don't really seem complete or the shading? They kind of threw me off and I hesitated. I wasn't happy with it at first.

6 years ago
The art style feels too coarse, and the general edginess makes for pretty untidy reading. I prefer everyone being drawn in atleast semi-straight outlines, not jaggies that make it a nuisance to figure out whether a certain titan's been shown before and the like. Plus, I like most of the character's outlines and styles in the anime far more (notably Mikasa).

Speaking of Mikasa, the woman with near-zero character development through two seasons, her entire 'let's confess because we're about to die' bit towards the end of Season 2 felt really terribly wooden. She was just talking at the camera, and you could have replaced her with a still shot for all the emoting she was doing. Furthermore, the word choice (in the dubs atleast) was just stunted. That was not what I was looking forward to when I wanted character development.

Yes, knowing Bertolt and Reiner beforehand probably immunized us from the shock (kind of the same with with knowing about the Red Wedding beforehand in GoT), so perhaps a greenhorn would have enjoyed Season 2 more than we did.

6 years ago

Yeah. Reiner's always been a favourite character of mine, so when I first learned about their secret I wasn't sure if I should be excited for the plot twist or sad because it means there's pretty much a guarantee he's going to die. Bertholt too. Wasn't sure what to think of him except later I hated him.

The art style threw me off a bit too, but I kind of adapted to it. It changed as the manga went on and I'm not sure if it became better or worse. Certainly a little less complete, but very detailed faces and so on.

6 years ago

I've only watched the first season when it was airing so I've forgotten almost everything about it. What did you like about it though? 

6 years ago

About the first season? Mostly it's all the various plot twists that I like. Also there's some good character development. Main character being a Titan? I'm not a huge fan of the main character, but it DID make things a bit more interesting. Also the opening music is amazing.

What about you, from what you remember? What do you like/hate about it?

6 years ago

The way AoT subverts the expected (eg. Eren getting his leg bitten off and the sudden appearance of the colossal titan just when things were looking up) made it pretty clear that 'no one is safe'. From what I recall, that was what I liked and appreciated most from a structural viewpoint. Overall, I found it to be a solid show, but the long hiatus between season one and two (or whichever one took several years to make idremember) has drained away all my hype for the series - so it was enjoyable but not as memorable as some other anime I've watched.

6 years ago
The first season nailed the feeling of fighting against impossible odds. Episode 19 and the forest fight was a particular highlight for me. Loved it! The second was equally good, especially the music (when the freaking tower was destroyed holy shit), but I felt that it was on a much smaller scale than the first one. Moreover, the ending revelation about the main character was a bit anticlimactic. Also, there was not enough Levi so that automatically makes the first season the better one.

6 years ago

Main character comes off as being a little whiny bitch for most of the show, even more that the dude from SAO which I didn't think was possible.

Other than that it's otherwise a pretty good anime where plot armor doesn't extend to far.

6 years ago

Season 2 was pretty good. 

6 years ago

Yeah, I was a BIT disappointed, looking back at Season 2. They seriously downplayed a lot of the events and it annoyed me. I don't mind that they were adding stuff, but they downplayed a lot of stuff, making it not as intense as some scenes should've been. Don't get me wrong, I love the show/manga. Always have, always will. I'm pretty much the ultimate fan of this and have memorized everything by heart, but this was still a bit of a letdown in parts.