Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Help with creating a quest book

6 years ago

Perhaps not a "quest book" per say, but a diary of the main character's discoveries as the player progresses through the story. I want to create a book that can be added to as certain events happen (such as discovering a new piece of lore, or adding a reminder of a current quest).

What I've done so far is make a Diary item which leads to its own chapter that will be filled with the information. What I don't know how to do is the adding of new information in-game without all of those pages being accessible right from the beginning.

Any tips on how to achieve this?

Also I'm new here, hi.

6 years ago

I'm quite sure that an article was created concerning the matter of journals/diaries. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Is this what you're looking for?

6 years ago
When events happen, have it trigger or add to a variable and have new pages revealed based on that.

These kinds of questions are best posted in the Advanced editor section BTW, but welcome to the site.

Let us know if you need help with anything else, though the usual advice to newbies is to start small and don't get in over your head with a massive first project.

6 years ago

I'll keep that in mind next time I need help, thanks.

And I think I've managed to figure out how to make it work. Part of the problem was that I couldn't tell how to connect variables to page links. Anyway, thank you both for your help!