Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

A few questions

4 years ago

Hello people of this site. My name is LaughingMyFaceOff, but please refer to me as Laughing.

Anyway, I have a few questions as I am new and I want to get to know the community better as well as expand my knowledge of this (so far) great site.

Question #1, How do you think the community of this site would react to a story about a toddler who is the president? Yes, this is the story I'm writing. It is a lot more interesting than it sounds. But basically, it explores that idea, with a lot more drama and hardship. I have 1 chapter with 2 pages. The pages are short, maybe 300-400 words per page. But I'm working on making them longer and more enjoyable for the reader. (By the way, the story is not political in any way shape or form). 

Quesiton #2, If you reccomend any good stories, or rather, stores related to that of my own story, please feel free to suggest them in the comments or PM with them. I would like more ideas.

Question #3, Is it better to finish a story before publish, or should I post full chapters monthly? I'm telling you, they're worth the wait.

Anyway, the end.

A few questions

4 years ago

Pat And Jen please, Screw Off.

A few questions

4 years ago

This is going to be Bill and Serpent all over again, isn't it?

A few questions

4 years ago

I don't think I was around when this happened.

A few questions

4 years ago

Hey, now. I've been very well behaved!

A few questions

4 years ago

You have.  And I think the torch has been passed.

A few questions

4 years ago

He can have it.

As to the OP:

I hope your story explains how your fictional Toddler-in-Chief gets past the constitutional requirement that the president be at least 36 years old. The founding fathers were well aware of what happens when children are made heads of state, and created a provision to specifically prevent that from happening. I get that you're going for a satire or farce, but it's a point you'll need to address.

A few questions

4 years ago

I thought it was 35 years old?

e:  Yeah, it's 35.  "neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States. "

A few questions

4 years ago

I stand corrected about the age. But I believe there is also a requirement that the POTUS be a natural-born citizen. This came up when Arnold Schwarzenegger was governor of California; there was no point in pursuing national political ambitions, because there was a limit on how far up the ladder he could climb. And thus we have been blessed with more Terminator sequels.

A few questions

4 years ago
Okay for real, literally what about those three grammatically correct paragraphs and legitimate questions about writing reminded you at all of a retarded ten year old whose idea of a clever disguise was making an alt with his RL name and age and putting angry emojis in all the same threads he was in before? Really reaching there.

A few questions

4 years ago

When he wrote, "Hello people of this site. My name is LaughingMyFaceOff, but please refer to me as Laughing." my spidey senses started tingling. 

A few questions

4 years ago

Don't trust them.

A few questions

4 years ago

For #1, I think, in general, with the exception of certain forbidden and not-to-be-named topics, we value a really well-written story, and a weird topic wouldn't especially put people off.  It's certainly an original topic.

As for #3, I would finish before publishing.  If you want feedback before full publication, set your story for sneak preview and you can, potentially, ask people to take a look at it.

I would highly recommend reading the featured stories, rating them, and commenting on them to get a sense of the writing and choice structure that tends to get good responses.

A few questions

4 years ago
I've always been a firm believer in the possibility of making a good story out of any idea if a writer is skilled enough. This one is uh, different, but that could work in your favor.

I'd definitely back up what Gower said about reading a few other stories and reviewing them, I always recommend that to newbies before they dive in too far with their own ideas. It can really give you a much clearer idea of the quality level of what works. (And what doesn't.)

A few questions

4 years ago

Hello there, and welcome. 

In my experience, most of the people on this site prefer long stories that are completely finished, rather than broken into chapters. I have seen a few exceptions to this rule, but in all of these cases, each installment in the story was 25,000+ words long. If you really want to receive feedback before publishing, you could consider setting your story to 'sneak preview' mode and posting a link in the forums. Just make sure that you've revised / edited it in advance. 

As for your idea - generally speaking, I think people should feel free to write whatever they want. Writing is a process of self-expression in which you are trying to convey your own thoughts and ideas, not those of someone else. Even though the idea is a bit unusual, I think it could still be great if it's well-written. That being said, I have a bit of difficulty envisioning how a serious story where a toddler is present would work. There have been films and other creative works revolving around a similar theme, where a young child is in a position of power (think of the popular children's movie 'Boss Baby'), but those were comedies.

I suppose it could work if you interwove both silly/humorous and serious elements in your story. A more serious explanation could work if it's more well-thought out than just 'America thought to elect this child as President because why not.' For example, you might consider an adult with a hidden disability which has caused them to regress to the mental age of a toddler. (This still brings up the major problem of how they got elected in the first place). Perhaps you've already come up with a better explanation. To me, I think the best option would be to have the story full-on embrace the silliness of a toddler being elected as President. There have been lots of well-done stories on this site that have included such silly elements, even going so far as to comment on the strangeness of them - which can make for an interesting meta-narrative.

Either way, I wish you best of luck with your creative endeavors.