Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Scary Stories

4 years ago

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Does anyone know any sites where I can publish my horror stories? I can't seem to find any good ones and the ones I did find had a wack ass community and gave me bad vibes. And, any podcast recommendations for submitting scary stories? I feel like y'all would know and the community here is great, so here I am. Hope you guys aren't sick, I saw a subject titled " I am infected", so I am guessing it's too late for that fella. Stay safe and lemme know!

Scary Stories

4 years ago
As far as sharing regular linear fiction goes, I've yet to find any place where you actually get feedback on it. I went looking a couple years back when I had regained an interest in writing short stories and the whole scene had become pretty dire. Now as far as publishing in the more official sense, that's not something I've looked into in years, but it seems like they're constantly swamped with submissions, and if actual pay is offered it's an amount that's almost insulting for the time spent and the hoops you're forced to jump through to produce something in the specific guidelines they want.

Honestly the only time I see readers get excited about just plain reading anymore seems to be on fan fiction sites. Writers meanwhile are everywhere and starving for an audience.

CYOAs and IF in general seem juuust gamelike enough to snag more readers' interest without requiring any real programming knowledge which is a big part of why it's been becoming popular again in recent years.

I did ask someone about the podcasts and he mentioned The Story Vault as possibly taking submissions. There's the No Sleep Podcast as well which also looks promising, it's specifically horror and the audio aspects are really well done.

Scary Stories

4 years ago

Alright thanks dude. I will check those podcasts out. I will try my luck with this site and see where it goes. Thanks for the advice!