Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Invasion

16 years ago
who liked my story Invasion? Because i'm making a sequal and you going to try to figure out why the aliens are on earth.

Invasion

16 years ago

It was meh.  I think i gave it 3 or 4

Also I'm moving this to the writing workshop

Invasion

16 years ago
ok. And whats meh supposed to mean?

Invasion

16 years ago

Definintly not good but not bad.

Invasion

16 years ago

Meh - n - indifference, don't care, whatever.

Invasion

16 years ago
ITS IN THE DICTIONARY?

Invasion

16 years ago
whatever back to my story

Invasion

16 years ago
Looking forward to what you can do with it. Keep up the good work and don't listen to criticism unless it's constructive criticism.

Invasion

16 years ago

id say 'dont listen to any criticism. you are here to write. so do that. if people dont like it, who cares? lol'

nate

Invasion

16 years ago
I disagree, use critisicm to improve your writing.

Invasion

16 years ago
"if people dont like it, who cares? lol'"

Well, games that are TOO bad end up dead, so I wouldn't say that.

riley

Invasion

16 years ago

you guys are only looking at it from one angle. what i meant by my comment was that we should just write for the sake of writing. and per it being unpublished or deleted, you will still learn to write better and better in the long run. that is the ultimate goal, is it not? to get better? therefore, i was implying that we should still write, whether people like it or not. if we worried about others opinions we wont write as much. we need to forget others opinions till we finish the story.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago
I see what your saying and yes I agree with that but when someone reads your work and tells you "The grammar is atrocious" then use that to improve your writing.

Invasion

16 years ago

id say that grammar and spelling issues fall under "writing rules". criticism would be "This sucks, improve", "Why do you even write?", "Make it better, i want my 3 minutes back." and so forth. slight difference in my mind, but it doesnt matter much. but i think it still stands, write, no matter what.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago

Here's the definition.  http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=criticism

I think that it's anytime you pass judgment on a literary (or any creation I guess) creation.. It could be done poorly like the above quotes but what I'm talking about when I say critisicm usually also comes with an explanation of what they did poorly - thus giving them a chance to improve.  I would never have improved as a writer without criticism and I doubt you would have either.

Invasion

16 years ago

i have improved by criticism. however, only when told what to improve. but thats old ground. i simply meant that we should still write whether people give us credit or not. the current strategy tends to be, "not write until i am tom clancy, or Tolkein." that unfortunately is keeping people from writing. people are too afraid of criticism. therefore, the cure is simply ignore it.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago
Yeah -- if you're afraid of internet criticism then there's something wrong... 

Invasion

16 years ago

lol fear of failure isnt just connected with the internet. we all have it to some degree. writing is a very intimate process really. its a writer putting down on paper/internet that comes from them. alot of pressure arises from that.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago
Yeah but to me its like: Who cares if someone two thousand miles away that you will never ever meet criticises your work...

Invasion

16 years ago
Err... Unless he's a publisher.

Invasion

16 years ago

"'dont listen to any criticism. you are here to write. so do that. if people dont like it, who cares? lol'"

I can't see how you can justify saying that at all.. To me that sounds like the worst advice possible... Why write unless to improve your understanding of writing and how to be better at that.  IF you don't listen to critisicm you'll never ever get better.

Invasion

16 years ago

"IF you don't listen to critisicm you'll never ever get better."

that sentence is not fully true either 3j. you can take english classes that teach proper writing, never write in the class, and still learn to improve your writing. you can read other people's work and improve on your own. you can write in a note book daily and improve on your own. criticism is only ONE way to improve. but around here criticism can be more cruel than helpful, so again, all i meant was write for the sake of writing. not for others.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago

I think the minority of critisicm is cruel around here.  The vast majority of comments are either good or ways of improving.  Tsmpaul comes to mind on this one.  Again, Agent_47 if you write like you did for Invasion 1 then you'll get the same low rating but if you take some of those comments into consideration and use them to fix your writing up -- then you'll get a higher rating.  That simple.  I know you might not care about ratings, but its still improving your writing,

Invasion

16 years ago
yeah thanks 3j and flesh

Invasion

16 years ago
The ratings for this are seriously skewed...

Invasion

16 years ago

its rated a 4. slightly better than homework. seriously skewed woudl be like if it was above a 6. try not to be so accusitory next time. you expect foul play, report it to a mod or admin. there are better ways to handle stuff like this.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago
I think its a phenomenal story.

Invasion

16 years ago

...Sarcasm?

riley

Invasion

16 years ago

what the heck does skewed mean i think u might mean skrewed with an R

Invasion

16 years ago

no, Skewed means that there is not a natural distribution on the scores. a natural distribution would be a bell curve. he was saying that your scores were higher than they should be. in otherwords, he was saying your friends were rating it higher than it should be.

nate

Invasion

16 years ago
well that is probably somewhat true. ( i know i  *might* have)

Invasion

16 years ago

Yeah, sorry to A_47 but you need to put more effort into the writing here; paragraphs, punctuation and grammar.

Also descriptive writing; tsmpaul has taken descriptive writing and turned it into an artform so look at some of his stories to get an idea of how good they can make a story. Seriously, he's a published author!

Invasion

16 years ago
yea just pay attention to that stuff and it would be extremely better

Invasion

16 years ago
thanks ill remember that for my next games