Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
Ground Zero is only a 7/8, reducing it from immortal to just awesome. Mommy will be the only 8/8 when it comes back. Hurry up madglee, we all miss that story.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I quietly put it back up like a week ago. :) I never finished transcribing it and made no changes. I just got too busy and figured I'd stick it back up as is.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Of course, whoever went and quickly rated Mommy with 10 1's before I took it down about 6 months ago will no doubt continue doing that again, so I'm sure it won't remain an 8 for long. Blast the IP/Comments rating never being implemented!

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Corruption! Bribery! Scandal! Buttsex!

Anyway, Ground Zero will always be an Eight in our hearts.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
Dude, 1's wont effect your rating at ALL. And you need to contact the admins about making it a top game again :)

(The ratings got killed when it was unpublished so the system doesn't see it as a top game)

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I'm just wondering how the story got a "serious" tag, when I never tagged it with anything.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
I tagged it with that, Admins can tag. Do you want that to be removed? I think it's serious.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I guess it can stay, I was just wondering how it got there.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
Yeah, well you can now tag unpublished stories, but published stories are only tag-able by admins I think. I dunna, I can also change categories and some other stuff like that.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

What do you mean, bro? It immediately went to number 1 when I republished it.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
http://www.chooseyourstory.com/stories/default.aspx

Scroll to the bottom right category.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Speaking of ratings, Terra Proxima: First Strike is now rated 7/8! Thanks people!

I'm not kidding.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
'grats!

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

YAY! But shouldn't Terra Proxima be somewhere other than EE?

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Ah true but...

http://www.chooseyourstory.com/

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

It's the only story on the site that uses a random number table. Until End brings one over from IS.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

It should still be Sci-Fi Adventure...

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

But then it would bump either paraplainiac or MAU from the featured list...

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
No.. It wouldn't. Dude, they all randomize.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I thought featured games were selected by march. Your thinking of Top Stories.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
Yes.. I am, thats why I said "top games" lol.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

NO!!!! TOP STORIES!!!!!!!

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago
Ah. Sorry *Rolls eyes.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Banned for rolling your eyes too much.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Doesn't matter, I took it back down...some jack off gave it 2 one's again. I find that amazingly annoying, especially because I know it's relatively difficult to get to the end, so it has to be someone that is purposely doing that, rather than someone who genuinely believes it should be a 1.

I guess I should expect that from this place - no disrespect to certain - many - people, but bloody hell. People were rating Paul's stuff a 1, too, and no doubt someone did that to End, Seth, Anubis, all of you - if there was any manning up to it with explanation, I'm down, but unwarranted 1s, meaning "total shit" better have some evidence and explanation.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I wouldn't mind if a story gets featured - which means it is recognised as being really great - then low scores are no longer possible for it. It's crazy that someone can just throw 1's around!

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

i dunno Paul. Barney was praised as being really great, so was Britney Spears, Pet Rocks, and Disco. under that theory you have, no one would be allowed to knock them. granted, giving a 1 might be a bit much. but people do have differences in opinions. the new batman was a great movie, but not the best, if someone didnt like it they still have a right to not like it.

same as with stories. people have a right to not like stories on here. even good ones. the Walmart Game is a perfect example. what was once a staple for MAG, is now a frustrating fading star for CYS. people have a right to not rate it an 8.

nate

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Yeah, I suppose people can express their opinions - it just seems like sometimes someone is 'spamming' scores, that is, purposefully rating multiple times, rather than simply expressing their opinion of a story. But I do agree, people have the right to give scores that reflect their own opinion of the story.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I only got 5 ones for GZ, which isn’t too bad given the amount of ratings I do have on it. Low ratings don’t bother me so much as stupid comments do.  I’d actually rather get a “1” with no comment than a “3” with some idiotic comment. (It was too long!)

I was actually more surprised that GZ stayed on top with a score of 8 for as long as it did.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

I'd rather get an idiotic comment - solely because then you know the person truly believes the story is a 3, even if they have no idea how to critique stories. When you get a 1, over and over, with no comments, particularly when it the story cannot quickly be finished, you know the person has an altogether distasteful agenda. I suppose I shouldn't care, but I find it maddening.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Sure, people have the right to rate whatever they want, I completely agree. Using your Batman example, I agree with your assessment - but if I absolutely hated it, hated it so much that I rated it a 1, then I should be able to comment on why that was true. Assuming that people are rating stories based on how they compare with other stories on the site or in life, I would find it extremely difficult, if not impossible, to conceive of the Tower, Ulysses, Necromancer, or Mommy (as examples) deserving any 1s whatsoever.

In other words, if those stories are 1s, the absolute shittiest, most horrible fecal matter possible - the worst-written, boring, unimaginative stories - what must that person's idea of a 10 be? The book that such a person rates a 10 must be so incredible that one's eyes would explode from one's head to even gaze upon it.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

true. any EXTREME votes (ie 1s and 8's), should have major reasons why. agreed. and personally im sorry that your story keeps getting 1s. its not deserving of them at all in my opinion. but as it is, this site is visited mostly by younger adults who have limited literary experience. and when they play/read a long story they get bored easily. ADOS and all (Attention Deficeit 'Oh Sparkles'). you know as well as i do that if you ask a young adult what they thought of "War and Peace" or the Book of "Lord of the Rings", or "A Christmas Carol", many will say "They were too long!" . its a shame, we dont have the literary depth that we used to.

nate

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Hey Nate,

That would make sense to me if people that rated 1s could actually finish a story on their first try. The thing is, I doubt that anyone with a tiny frontal lobe - like those that rate 1s with no comments - would read a long story, ignoring their inability to process the written word, intent only on the new American Idol with random images flashing every 3 seconds, and wind their way to the end where they would be allowed to rate. Instead, it has to be someone who already knows how to get to one of the endings where they are allowed to rate. Let me explain further.

I purposely made Mommy difficult so that one would have to invest effort to find the end. One can't just click through, ignoring the prose, and rate. One would have to reach one of the three successful endings, which - although I am too close to be able to objectively determine if the following statement is true - takes some work to get to.

Therefore, the only people that can rate anything, and even worse, rate anything very quickly without comments (say, 3 1s in the week it was back up), would have to be people that know where the end is, and are purposely rating it.

While I completely agree that attention span is a problem - and even affecting me as I get inundated with cell phones and cable TV and internet - I don't think it applies here. I'm not sure anyone's ever finished War and Peace. I haven't, and if I had, I wouldn't turn to page 79 and put a 1, leaving Tolstoy to wonder what sort of a fuckface coward was involved.

This difficulty of reaching the end/rating areas apply to the other stories I mentioned, too. It's not easy to get to the end of them, and rationally, Watson, elementary induction, that means that people are purposely running through to rate the stories 1.

That sort of behavior would be met with terrible consequences if I was a lesser man who was not at complete peace with the world and in a mental health field.

:)

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

having 3 1's within the week it was back up is very suspicious. maybe a group of punks that just ran through it and rated it bad AFTER finding an ending? definately makes me wonder.

as for the main topic at hand though, i do still believe that random slackers are coming on, finding stories and clicking till they get an ending just to rate it low. regardless of how hard it is, (Tower and Mattais being among the hardest), people can still find their way through stories fairly quickly. not to mention, that many will simply rate stories low based on being too difficult as well. strange dichotomy.

nate

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Yeah that is bizarre. Random slackers clicking through stories until they get to an end point. I suppose they could keep going back and then forward again - but with several of those games you have to have the right items and do certain things to even reach an ending - all the other endings only give the choice to reset. Therefore, the most probable explanation is that whoever is doing that to people is familiar with the stories and their solutions.

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

well as i said before, Mommy doesnt deserve 1's. but hopefully, like 3j said above, those dont effect the rating at all. so thats good.

nate

!?GZ!?!

15 years ago

Ground Zero was the first game I played and is my favorite. 8/8.