Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Considering how much influence music play on almost everyone's daily lives, I thought it would be interesting if we shared our interests so we can better know each other. The way art can display emotional cues for each and every one of us, music may perhaps be even more entrancing to our heightened senses. So, tell everyone your favorite genre, your song, and mood that fits each one you choose. They say that a generation can be analyzed based on what they listen to, therefore provoking the question, who are we, the CYS community?

As for me, I get most of my songs off:

1. http://8tracks.com/

2. Anime

3. This use to be youtube, but it is now: http://www.vimeo.com/categories/music (I rarely use it though)

4. Various global top listings

5. Tracks you would hear on airplanes

6. Songs I would hear in my daily life: Broadway, occasional classical music venues, concerts, friends, radio, and stores.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I'll listen to pretty much anything.  I used to be more narrow about my musical preferences, but I've certainly expanded over that last couple years.  I don't even have a preferred genre anymore, actually.  To name a few and give an idea of what I listen to:

Tool ; A Perfect Circle ; Morcheeba ; Funkadelic ; Muse ; Rise Against ; Immortal Technique ; Rodrigo Y Gabriela ; Alice in Chains ; Between the Buried and me ; Cradle of Filth ; Deftones ; Norah Jones ; Radiohead ; Symphony X ; Dub FX ; Gorillaz ; Wax Tailor ; Emancipator ; The Mars Volta ; Tupac ; Thievery Corporation ; Lamb of God ; Jimi Hendrix ; Bob Marley

Love 'em all.  I've got just over 60 gigs of music, and on top of the specific bands/artists I listen to, I also have stuff like Smooth Jazz Cafe vol1-6, I believe, and folders full of music that I have difficulty categorizing.

I feel like there's so much you can learn from music, and as I've developed my taste for music, I also believe that I've just grown as a person.  Intellectually and socially most notably.  But music can connect with people in a way that literature, poetry, and all that often can't.  I get most of my music from friends, or I'll hear a song somewhere and remember some of the lyrics, and google it later.  If I hear random songs that I like, I'll usually look up the artist or band and listen to their other stuff.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
I love Lamb of God! :)

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I listen to a lot of things, so it would probably be easier for you to list them and I say yay or nay. Not asking you to, but I will if you choose to do so.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Rock pop country and some alternative.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

yes, sometimes depending on the artist, yes, and sometimes. In the order listed.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
I prefer to listen to rock, alternative, punk, some indie rap, and classical. My older brother has had a lot of influence on my taste in music, but as I've gotten older (I'm only 15) I've been leaning towards songs whose lyrics actually mean something as opposed to them just being catchy. Also I love songs that include piano with guitar. To pick one song would be impossible for me. The Gaslight Anthem is one of my favorite bands and I tend to listen to them when I'm doing my homework.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

My favorite artist is Harry Chapin. I'll listen to some country now and again, some rock, very little pop, no hip-hop, etc. etc.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
I saw Gaslight live, they were pretty good. I have a lot of sentimental connection to that band!

La Dispute would definitely be my favorite band. This song is my favorite song, and has been since the first time I heard it well over a year ago in December of 2009. Careful though, the way it was recorded doesn't lend well to poor speakers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SaNWWEj7WM

I suggest listening to it in headphones. It was actually recorded with a synth they didn't know how to use, an off-tune guitar, three books, a pencil sharpener, and a sharpie. This song really isn't indicative of what La Dispute sounds like, and I love their sound but this song is my favorite anyway. October is a pretty big LD fan too.

My second favorite band has to be Radiohead. I don't really need to say more about them.

Other bands, I'll list by genre:

Hip-Hop/Rap: One of my favorite genres, I highly recommend checking out Black Milk to see the man who is probably the best producer in the world and Curren$y for the man with the smoothest flow ever. Blue Scholars, Macklemore and to some extent Champagne Champagne are really good Seattle rappers. I like some Flobots, the very occasional Jay-Z song, Nas, Dead Prez and Kanye. Kanye is probably my favorite rapper, everything said and done, he just kicks ass. Kid Cudi is good too but he's not on the same level as Kanye.

Post-Rock and Atmospheric: Explosions in the Sky, Godspeed! You black emperor, Hammock, The Evpatoria Report, The Notwist, Saxon Shore.

Folk: Brett Dennen has kind of an annoying voice but I like him anyway. Bonus points for sentimental songs that remind me of my girlfriend. Daniel Wesley is entertaining and local but nothing too special.

Acoustic: City and Colour (Dallas Green) has a very beautiful voice. Jack Johnson and to some extent John Mayer are good.

Rock: The Red Hot Chili Peppers are an incredible band that I've loved for my whole life. Some of their songs mean the world to me. If you're easy-going on the listening front and willing to try out bizarre sounds, you might like The Dismemberment Plan. I really love the Gaslight Anthem and some of their songs bring me back to some really good times. They sound very genuine. Rise Against was my favorite band through most of highschool but I've kind of outgrown them and their new album sucks. That being said, they have some truly special songs. Pixies are pretty decent. Thrice is great.

Screamo/Hardcore/Post-Hardcore: La Dispute is definitely my favorite. I won't lie, the occasional BMTH and Alexisonfire song is pretty alright but generally they both suck shit.

Electronic: Glitch Mob is my absolute favorite for electronic, it just sounds so amazing. I love edIT's solo stuff too. Bearbot and White Panda make really good electronic party music, mostly mashups, and Daft Punk is obviously a classic. Also, Crystal Castles is just great. Also, the Scandinavian band Veto is really, really unique and cool. Oh, and MGMT and Empire of the Sun have the occasional gem. I like Nine Inch Nails and I really respect everything that Trent Resner has done for the genre. Also, Thom Yorke's solo album was awesome.

Dubstep: Skrillex, Low Pass Filter, Mt. Eden, Zeds Dead. The occasional boregore song is pretty dirty.

Garage Rock Revival: The Black Keys and The White Stripes are both excellent.

Reggae/Ska: I actually don't really care for this genre, to be honest. I'm probably the only non-Bob Marley fan ever and it's just not really my thing. That being said, I like light reggae like Bedouin Soundclash and Damien Marley's comp with Nas was really cool. To clarify though, it's not that I dislike Bob Marley or the genre, it's just that it doesn't really do anything particularly good for me.

Obviously The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Miles Davis, Coltrane and the like are amazing. I don't think I need to write about them. I also have a soft spot for Ziggy-era David Bowie but I don't think I'm alone there. Radiohead, I mentioned earlier but I'll mention them again here because they're just amazing and don't fit into a single genre.

Most Anime Music, Most Pop Punk, Essentially all country: sucks balls. xD

So yeah, that's me haha.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
I saw them live as well and really enjoyed it. The stories he told explaining the songs were very touching. There is a rumor that Gaslight Anthem is going to on a tour with Bruce Springsteen. Which at first sounded great but realisticly I will be paying more for tickets and Gaslight won't be the feature. Also I'm going to the Honda Civic tour this summer which will have Blink-182, My Chemical Romance, and Manchester Orchestra (which is my favorite out of these three bands. I love the band Thrice. I was supposed to see Manchester Orchestra and Thrice however Thrice cancelled the tour due to family emergency. I was rather upset but I understood that family is more important.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Seeing that JJJ posted an essay, I thought I might too.

My music library spans over many genres, but I'm very selective with the artists that are in it. I'm also more of an album person than a song person, so everything in my music library belongs to an album. If I only like the single from the artist and not the album I'll delete the artist entirely. Like Lykke Li for example, there are three songs off her first album I really like but I deleted the whole album because some of the others were so lame that I cringed listening to them.

In other words, I have a wide but selective music taste. The last paragraph makes me seem like somewhat of a music nazi :S haha. I currently have 105 artists in my library and 2524 songs. This doesn't seem like many compared to most people's music libraries, but I listen to everything on there. Anyway, onto genres (btw, I don't really care about genres, I'm just using these terms to group music loosely - so no going "indie's not a genre" or "that's not screamo, that's technical-sludge-magnet-metalcore").

Lo-fi/chillwave/dream pop: possibly my favourite group of genres, it's music that I didn't even know existed until just over a year ago (and most of it has only been around that long). People complaining that no good music is being made anymore have to look for it. There's so many good bands out there - I can't stress this enough. Lo-fi is basically just what I'm calling this recent trend of bands to record their songs with primitive equipment or downgrading the sound quality of their music, thus having a lo-fi sound. So many good bands have come out of this scene, like Real Estate (one of their songs was in How I Met Your Mother for anyone who watches that show), Beach Fossils and stuff like that. Chillwave I've only recently gotten into, it's a more electronic-sounding genre, but yeah artists like Toro y Moi and Blackbird Blackbird I'm really digging right now. Dream pop for me are bands like Beach House, Twin Sister and theredsunband - everybody has their own sort of interpretation of what the genre is (thus why I'm hesitant to use genres), like I'm not really into Sigur Ros or 80s stuff or things like that which some people call dream pop. But yeah, those three bands I mentioned and that dream pop-y sort of sound is definitely my favourite type of music.

Indie rock: very broad genre of music, for every good band there are ten I don't like, but yeah, this spans from anything like 80s/90s experimental/alternative stuff like Sonic Youth to some of the indie bands from Canada like Land of Talk and Broken Social Scene to the more aggressive indie like Die! Die! Die! and Warpaint to the dance-y sort of indie like Foals and Twin Shadow.

60s/70s/older rock: 3 of my top 5 most played artists come from the 60s, I love the Jimi Hendrix Experience (especially Axis), The Doors and The Beatles, among other older bands (Led Zeppelin, Skyhooks etc.). I love older music, but again there are some bands generally associated with the ones above which I don't like, for example I'm not a fan of Guns N Roses and Van Halen and stuff like that.

Blues/soul: I really like the old 1930s-60s blues played with just an acoustic guitar, by musicians like Son House and Robert Johnson, but there are other blues musicians that I listen to that have bands behind them, like Muddy Waters. Then there are more new kinds of blues, like The Black Keys (they were my favourite band for like three years way back in years 7-10) or Junior Kimsbrough (really cool stuff, like fuzzy guitar, except he was really old when he recorded them so it's like you're still hearing music from the golden era of blues). Soul I really dig but don't listen to as much as I'd like. Sam and Dave are hands down my favourite soul band.

Folk: the newer style of folk - Grizzly Bear, Lisa Mitchell etc. As much as I wish I did, I don't really like Bob Dylan and other artists like that.

Screamo: I don't have many screamo bands in my music library. It was all I listened to when I was twelve but as I discovered more and more styles of music I grew out of all of those bands. I didn't have any screamo on my iPod for a while until JJJ showed me La Dispute, which were pretty much the type of screamo I'd been searching for for months, and from that I expanded and got into a few more "post-hardcore" bands.

Piano: I like instrumental piano music. I don't know why. Of course, it depends on the type, but I really like this guy called Erroll Garner (I only have an uncle's old album where he covers the songs of Gershwin and Kern) and one album by Eluvium which is entirely piano (most of his other albums are ambient, which I don't enjoy (I do like Grouper, this chick who writes very ambient music, but again just because I like her type of ambient doesn't mean I like all ambient).

Electronic: Don't have much electronic stuff on my iPod, unless you count some of the chillwave bands, but yeah, stuff like Crystal Castles I enjoy.

Math/post rock: Again, different people have different interpretations of math rock but what I like is pretty much described as very angular/stop-starty rhythms, insane drums and intertwining guitar parts. Japan has some really good math rock bands (instrumental, I don't really listen to music with vocals in foreign languages) like Lite, Toe and Mouse on the Keys (which actually combine math-rock with jazz, it's really trippy stuff). Post-rock is just stuff like Explosions In The Sky, mainly instrumental.

Jazz: I listen to a bit of Miles Davis and jazz radio occasionally.

I may have left something out but yeah I'm pretty sure any of you who are still reading are glad that this is the end XD. I don't really like country music or techno music. I like aspects of hip-hop and rap but I have yet to find an artist of this genre I like, there's always something wrong with any of the artists I hear (this is a situation much like how I was looking for a certain type of screamo before I got into La Dispute, except this time I'm looking for rap or hip hop). Uhhh... I think that just about covers it.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I listen to a shit on of music too, haha.

Rock: Too many to list. I love everything, so I guess my rock favorites would be older stuff like the Beatles, CCR, Hendrix, The Doors, erc.

Rap: My favorite rapper is Tech N9ne, I'm sorry but there is no better rapper in my opinion. I also like Immortal Technique, ICP, Anybody Killa, Kottonmouth Kings, Eminem, Lil Wayne, sometimes Drake, and always Eazy-E.

Metal: I put this separate from rock because there is a LOT of metal I listen to. I like Cradle of Filth, Slipknot (wearing a Slipknot shirt :)), Korn, Dimmu Borgir, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, mostly late 90's shit. I could name so many more but I'll spare the readers.

House/Dubstep-Zero G, Skrillex, Bassnectar, Ransom. This music trips me the fuck out.

Country-I hate to admit, but I love this music! Rehab(more southern rock than country), Garth Brooks, Brad Paisley, really anything you might hear on the country radio. 

Grunge-All of them. Pearl Jam, NIrvana, you name it.

Punk-Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, The Aggrestix(local band :)), Green Day, Rancid, etc.

Pop-I don't like certain artists, pop is just certain songs. I hate Miley Cyrus, but I actually like the song "The Climb" BUT I SWEAR I'M NOT GAY. I also enjoy "Fuck You" by Cee Lo Green. I adore anything by James Blunt.

Indie-The Scene Aesthetic, The Hush Sound, The Spill Canvas

I don't know anything else.

Oh and since my name is deadly_sinner66, I quite love the band 3 Inches of Blood, and their hit song, Deadly Sinners :D

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I really use to only listen to country and pop I am now branching out through youtube to other artists like Bill Joel and Elton Jon.Than I started to view some rock songs I like which started me into rock. I saw your older rock groups so I am guessing you like Queen but not AC DC kinda Like that. I like 30Sec2mars Goo Goo dolls for one or two of there songs, Defiantly fan of Nickelback Bon Jovi Journey and Greenday.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I like every artist you listed haha. I'm going to see Journey, Foreigner and some other old band I can't remember, this summer, the day after I see the Chicago White Sox play at the U.S. Cellular Field in Chicago. So awesome! I'm gonna watch a bunch of old dudes rock out. I wanted to go to Summercamp, but that is expensive. So I'm going to the Gathering of the Juggalos instead. I know, Insane Clown Posse is freaky, but they aren't the only people there. I don't know if you guys like horrorcore (this kind of rap). Kottonmouth Kings and Tech N9ne are going to be there too. I love seeing live shows and meeting artists, and this is a perfect opportunity to do both.

juggalo

12 years ago

I've heard about the Juggalos before, but I've never been.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Queen I don't mind depending on the song. Like it's not something I'd put on my iPod but if it comes on the radio I won't change the channel. I like the Bon Scott era of AC/DC, pretty much everything up to and including Highway to Hell, back when they were more blues/rock-and-roll sounding and less stadium rock. But yeah, not into the Brian Johnson stuff.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
I agree October, Bon Scott was just a better leader and vocalist. Brian Johnson did what he could. As for Queen, I can sit around and listen to them all day.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
Yo, October, have you listened to Curren$y or Black Milk? They might be the hip-hop you're looking for. Check out Immortal Technique too.

To DS66: I saw 3 Inches of Blood live and they were the worst live performance I've ever seen hahahaha.

I'd love it if someone explained to me what they like about Nickelback, because to me that is the epitome of a terrible band, ahhahaa.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
Yeah, their live performances are shitty. Their music isn't that great, I just really liked them when I made this account. I hadn't listened to them in a while, and listened to them last week in the car with a friend. She commented on how she thought they were shitty, and then it hit me. They are shitty. I do like their lyrics and pictures though, they are as medieval as one can get.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I always loved them untill my friend looked at me after he saw it on my ipod and said "why do you listen to this shit?" of course then I asked what he meant, but I didn't actually notice how bad they were till someone pointed it out either.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
I'm surprised 3IOB is as widespread as they seem to be. Damn hockey metal!

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Why? There lyrics mean somthing and I enjoy a slower type of rock. My favorites of theres is Hero, Savin me, So far away, Photograph, and If everyone cared.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
We were talking about 3IOB.

But the reason Nickelback is hated is because their lyrics are bland and are also regurgitated ideas.
"Hey, hey, hey, I wanna be a rockstar" says Chad Kroger.
"Fuck you whiteboy, 'hey, hey, hey' is my line!" Fat Albert.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Many lulz for Overweight Albert (damn political correctness), I don't like Nickelback because they are too plain. They have nothing that sets them apart, or even a good lead singer, which is normally an exeption for me. I caught one of their live shows on HBO, and they like to act like a real metal band, and play... I don't even have a category for it.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

They play rock in general.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Ok how about this lyric.

If everyone cared and nobody cried, If everyone loved and nobody lied

If everyone shared and swallowed there pride. Then we see the day when nobody died.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

They're considered alternative rock. I don't think they're terrible, but they don't stick out. Lyrics appeal to people in different ways. Some people like the constant rhyme (You can see Chad Kroger does here), and some people search for more deeper meanings, or more complicated words/phrases to interpret them. An example is Marilyn Manson. In the Reflecting God, the first line is "Your world is an ashtray, we burn and coil like cigarettes." This is a simile, a comparison of two unlike terms using "like" or "as". He does not mean the world is literally an ashtray, or that humans burn and coil like cigarettes. His simile or comparison of the world to an ashtray, is saying that humans waste the world, and are treating it like an ashtray. We humans, the cigarettes, are the demise to our own world. We treat the word like an ashtray, and we are the cigarettes that carelessly ash on out world. The use of the word cigarettes keep the images and thoughts that smoking is unhealthy, therefore humans are unhealthy for the world. Basically, humans are only good as the filthy world they live in. (The song is blaming God for the demise of humans, since he created them in his image, therefore making him fallible and a fuck up).

Now, I'll use the lines from that song. If everyone cared and nobody cried, If everyone loved and nobody lied. If everyone shared and swallowed there pride. Then we see the day when nobody died.

I don't even need to explain them. These lyrics don't make me think. Sure, it sounds good, but it has no lyrical meaning to it. Some people are just like that, if the song has no lyrical meaning or the lyrical meaning is simplistic, they don't like song. Sounding good is good, but sounding good and sending a message is great.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

The lyrics do send a mesage even if it is obvious. Just like this one does.

Heaven's gates won't open up for me
With these broken wings I'm fallin'
And all I see is you
These city walls ain't got no love for me
I'm on the ledge of the eighteenth story

This is not talking about a falling angle it is talking about suicide.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I'm not saying you're wrong about anything, I was trying to open you up to a new idea. Defending your favroite band is pointless, if I don't like them then that's that. I know his lyrics send a message. Honestly, the reason I don't like Nickelback is because i don't likt the sound. They sound like any other alt rock act. Miley Cyrus is another example: she sounds like every other female popstar. Rebecca Black is the new Miley Cyrus. They still both suck. If you hear about something enough, you get sick of it and it's old news. That is Nickelback to me.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Ok How about 30secs2mars yes that is abverated. They sound more like the type of band you might like there lyrics have hidden messages and have deeper meanings.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
Here are my two favorite reviews for Nickelback's newest album:

"I had so many smartass quips prepared while I was listening to this.

Listing them off would just seem tasteless.

Luckily, despite almost all of the awful, terrible music I have forced myself to listen to, by FAR Dark Horse takes the cake in tastelessness. It’s not that the songs are about heroin-addicted friends, or suicide, or the fact that Chad Kroeger wants to stick his throbbing member into anything with a vagina whilst simultaneously doing bong hits until six in the morning (his words, not mine), it’s that they’re so horribly, horribly blatant about everything. EVERYTHING. What happened to subtlety? What happened to tact? What happened to not naming your songs S.E.X. and Something In Your Mouth?

In a world of formulaic, follow-the-template music, Nickelback somehow managed to be the shit that floated to the top, polluting the Earth with tiny, tiny poop particles.

I’m glad radio is dying. I’m glad people don’t give a shit about what gets played on ‘alternative rock’ radio anymore because finally after a long, arduous decade, cut-and-paste bro rock will no longer have a wound to fester in. Good riddance to overproduced, unimaginative, tasteless poo-poo. The next time I hear someone use a wah pedal for all their guitar solos, I’m stabbing the first person I see right in the eyeball."

and

"THIS is not music it’s a commercial formula. Specifications for an ideal that has been raped, pillaged and peddled for decades and by dozens of bands far worthier than these Muppets.

Rock has become a jaded beast, but many of us do take comfort in the fact that there are true innovators out there, pioneering, reinventing, tinkering, blazing new trails and taking the grand old lady in new and exciting directions.

Nickelback are not amongst them.

They are the Michael Bolton’s of their age.

The Carpetbaggers of Rock, commodifying a time-honored art form with their puree’d, recycled ‘rock-lite’. Faux edginess and soulless, formulaic ballads for fat, middle-aged, goatee’d hicks, cruising the burbs during their mid-life crises. And ironically, therein lies Nickelback’s only connection with emotional poignancy.

All this and with no more than 3 power-chords, a paragraph worth of clichéd lyrics, all spread thinly but evenly over a half dozen almost identical albums and all churned out with the sole aim of saturated radio play.

Nickelback have become a commercial, an advertisement on the radio, no different from Hemorrhoid cream or Odor-Eaters.

My advice to Chad and the gang would be to tag each successive Nickleback album with monikers like -

"New improved formula"

or

"now with 20% more phony angst for the same price".

I'm sure on receiving this advice, he would nod his head sagely, stroke his goatee and without the least hint of self awareness say,

'Yeah, rock on dude'.

Fucking idiots

Disclaimer – This review may contain traces of nuts."

oh and this one is great too:

"It really shows Nickelback's sense of artistic creativity on this album, in how they leave their lyrics open to interpretation. Look no further than the raging, rocking opener "Something In Your Mouth," in which the singer huskily declares, "you sure do look good with something in your mouth." What something, though? A jump drive? A frog? Creamed okra? A large piece of orange construction paper? It's all left to the intellectual imaginations of their many thoughtful listeners. And then the song mysteriously titled with the acronym "S.E.X.". Certainly we can assume that despite the simplistic, immature, suggestive implications of the song title that this song does in fact, deal with the act of fucking, we can count on Nickelback to deliver with exceptionally clever lyrics, and to produce a song which doesn't sound like anything else they've ever written, right? I wonder what it stands for? Maybe "Sex.sEx. and... um... seX"? Then we have those other kickass songs, bra. You know, "I'd Cum For You," "Gotta BE Somebody (Not Some Average Jerkoff)," "Just To Get Stoned (feat. Hinder)" and "Shakin' Hands (Jerkin' Off)." And BURN IT TO THE GROUND!!! YEAAAGH!!! THAT SONG DRIVES ME BAT-SHIT CRAZYAGH!!

Yeah, no, fuck you guys.

Before I really knew their music or was shown their specific music (which sounds predictably close to every other modern "post-grunge" band) I didn't really care about this band Nickelback; it was what my sisters liked, and all the popular high school jock douchebags and the equally shallow girls they hung out with.

I hadn't listened to much Nickelback before a girl I was interested in told me I should like them. She sent me some YouTube videos of their songs. Unsurprisingly I haven't listened to much of their music since, and she turned out to be a manipulative bitch anyways.

I guess my experience with Nickelback has worked out just fine in the end, except for the part where I listened to their douchebag music.

Fucking douchebags."

You can find all of these and more at http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/nickelback, also note those low ratings on all of their albums hahaha.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Hahahaha the last one is gold. Completely agree.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Oh well you guys don't like them I am not going to change your minds. No one has said anthing about 30 secs to mars.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

:) Cool, I LOVE 30 Seconds to Mars. I have a lot of their acoustic songs on iTunes, as well as their albums. Not only do they have a UNIQUE sound, they have meaningful lyrics, too. We weren't trying to get you to dislike Nickelback, only let you know how much they suck (JKJKJK).

Anyone ever listen to older My Chemical Romance? Complete GOLD. Anything off their "You Brought Me Your Bullets, I Brought You My Love" album is awesome. The album after that (Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge) is okay, and the Black Parade just mostly sucks balls. They have a new one out I think, I just don't give a shit enough to look at it. My little sister will get it, then I'll just mooch it off her :D

And by the way 3J, when you said Nickelback was the Michael Bolton of today, I squirted Mountain Dew out of my nose. Thank you for the bubbly (Isn't that what Aussies call soda?) burning sensation, and the many lol's after.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

MCR the only emo band I still listen to, but only Three Cheers. When they brought out The Black Parade I was embarrassed to call myself a fan. Three Cheers was actually the first album I ever bought (along with this one by Avenged Sevenfold (who I don't like anymore, thus why it's no longer my avatar)), so it might be sentiment. I don't really listen to them enough to go and download their first album, but I've heard the songs off it and it's alright. The Ghost of You is one of my favourite songs by them.

30 Seconds To Mars I don't really like at all, sorry.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
@DS66 Those aren't my words but yeah, those are some good reviews.

And I really don't like MCR much, nor do I really like 30 Seconds to Mars, in the case of MCR, the vocalist just really annoys me (and I LIKE 'annoying' vocalists, look at Jordan Dreyer from La Dispute or Brett Dennen) and then 30 seconds to mars just doesn't really do anything too interesting to me at all. It all seems pretty bland/

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I mostly like 30stm because of a cameo they did for dragon age then I liked there other tunes. MCR there OK I like some of there songs. I mostly like there music video's because of the great quality of the story in them. Look up their song NA NA NA than Sing. It is like a mini movie.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I'm gonna be a dick here and point out that Manson's quote is both a metaphor and a simile. When he is referring to the world, he says "the world is an ashtray", which is a metaphor, he just follows it up with an equally awesome ashtray

Music Favorites

12 years ago

simile*

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Does anyone here like Avenged Sevenfold? I can predict a few of the comments saying it is gay and they are trying to act metal when their sound is a little weak, because i thought that myself. I just really like their songs, with the exception of A Little Piece of Heaven, thats just frickin creepy...

Music Favorites

12 years ago
Yes, I like Wicked End and Strength of the World.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

You know, I've got they're discography, but I never listen to 'em. haha  Any particular album(s) you'd recommend or that you might say are you favorite from them?

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Not my favorite banc band, I just like them and listen to them on youtube after a few of my friends introduced them to me when we were hanging out on Tuesday.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

favorite band*

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Wasn't saying they were, I was just wondering if any of you guys could recommend any particular album of theirs

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I don't like them any more, but I remember when I did I was disappointed when their self-titled album came out, so not that maybe. The album with Chapter Four on it I used to like, so maybe give that a shot?

Music Favorites

12 years ago

That's how I feel about Cradle.  I still like their old music, but they've become something entirely different.  They're well within their right to, 'course, but I dun anything past Thornography at alllll.  Godspeed was aight, a step up, but their newest album's brought 'em way down again, in my opinion.

Anyways, thanks dude.  I'll check it out, for sure

Music Favorites

12 years ago
Are we talking about A7X still? City of Evil is my favorite album of theirs.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
Strength of the World is my favorite A7X song.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Any one like Daughtry here.

Music Favorites

12 years ago
No.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I'm just going to put it out there that I really dislike Nickelback, Hinder, Daughtry, Creed and any other band that sounds similar to them. Sorry man, not a huge fan.

Just out of curiousity, I'm not trying to diss you or anything, but what do you like about Daughtry/Hinder/Creed/Nickelback?

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I like Nickelback slow songs. I really just like some of the meanings in the lyrics and how it shows their view on the world. Also I realate a lot to some of their songs. Like Savin' me because of a period in my life where I was extremly depressed.

I really don't know about Daughtry really I just like to listen to it as some pumpped up background noise when playing a game.

The last rock groups I listen to would be AC DC, Greenday (Agian only some of their songs), (Journey not the new guy), and Bon Jovi.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I actually like Creed, but not the other bands.I also REALLY love classic metal, like from the 70s-80s

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Nightmare is my favorite A7X song

Music Favorites

12 years ago

Nightmare is up there for me too. Anyone fans of Slipknot? They pretty much take the cake for me, I'm to Slipknot what fans girls are to Twilight.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I've heard a few of their songs in passing and thought they were pretty good, but I don't know their songs by name.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

They are a bit more on the hardcore side. Not like Cannibal Corpse and such, but heavier than acts like A7X, Disturbed, etc. They use a variety of instruments. They have 2 guitarists, used to have a bassist (I don't know if they plan to replace him or not), one drummer, 2 special percussionists (one plays a metal drum set made of out of kegs, the other plays something similiar to the timpani), one keyboard/sound samples dude, a guy on the turntables (it sounds weird, but it fits them perfectly), and a vocalist, who sings, screams, and also does a sort of rap-metalish thing. Slipknot is pretty unique in today's music scene, the only similar band is Mushroomhead, and the similarity is in the turntables. Other than that they sound nothing alike. I don't know if this interests you or not, but if you're looking for some songs to sample, their sound varies across albums. From the first album I recommend the song Eyeless, has great turntables in it. From the 2nd, most definitely Left Behind, that song was the theme for one of the Resident Evil films. From the third, I recommend The Nameless, Vermillion Pt1 and Pt2 (you can't listen to one and not hear the other, it's blasphemy trust me). Finally, from the last album, I recommend Gematria or All Hope is Gone. i know it's a bit extensive, but people tend to freak out over their favorite bands.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

You know what else is a great A7X song?  Welcome to the family. Kind of reminds me of the Deathnote themesong, actually, the later one where they were metal then broke to sensative singing.

Music Favorites

12 years ago

I listen primarily to vocaloid music from youtube, with a mix of covers and original songs.