Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Does this site need an updated look?

11 years ago

I think so... it looks very 2004-ish, which is precicely about when the last major layout changes were done. It doesn't look very modern... but it also doesn't look very retro, either. Just feels.... clunky.

I think the quality of the writing here deserve an equally-sharp website, and as I mentioned in the previous post, the codebase is now in a state where things like a newlayout wouldn't be too difficult to implement.

What do you think? Would a nice, simple layout be weclome? Should we go retro? 

Are there any websites you find particularly sexy and/or cool?

11 years ago

There's nothing wrong with the current layout but you're right about it looking 2004-ish. I'm all for a layout change.

The layout for Khan Academy would work really well for browsing through storygames, especially if the "tags" feature took off. The current sidebar could be shifted to be horizontal along the top of the page, and then all the other sections of the site could operate normally. User profiles could be shifted around too (hate to use Khan Academy as an example again but the member page of a random member here - the trophies could go where the achievements are, all the important information could go in that top bit and the sidebar could have options for "biography / storygames / articles / recent forum posts" (ie. you click on recent forum posts and it'll show you all the recent forum posts by that member, you click storygames and it'll show you the storygames that appear on their profile etc.)).

That's just a suggestion; I'll keep looking around at other sites because font/graphic-wise Khan Academy isn't the classiest. But yeah, I'm not adept at Photoshop by any stretch but if chocobot's not around and you don't have anyone else who's willing to do basic graphics for the site I'm happy to create some images if needed).

11 years ago

Thanks, this is great feedback -- and actually, this is just the kind of inspiration that's great for providing a new look & feel. Khan does has a modern look, but it maintains its own brand (unlike a lot of the generic gray/flavourless websites that seem popular today).  Please share if you can think of more :-)

11 years ago
Well, the site does look a little... bland. It's good because of the fact that it's not distracting from the bulk of the site's content, but I do think it is in need of an update. I do, however, like the colour scheme. The light browinsh tones give the site a home-like feel and I'd love for that to stay, because for me this site is a home away from home, complete with a dysfunctional family member or two. I love you guys (no homo).

11 years ago
Jesus... I really need to stop logging on at 2AM...

11 years ago

I think the site looks great as is. If you want to change it though, I think a member spotlight (like from this thread http://chooseyourstory.com/forums/message.aspx?MessageId=2858) would be a great idea.

11 years ago

you can try something simmilar to the layout of www.Kongregate.com or just put a background image.

I also head that the color Green incrases creativity.

11 years ago
Well, I have nothing against the current layout, but if you were to change it I like the Khan academy as well.

11 years ago

As a new user, I see nothing wanting in the current set up  :)

11 years ago

No. Just my 2 cents.

11 years ago
I really like the current appearance of the site. It just seems to fit with the theme to me.

11 years ago
Maybe updating the graphics would be an improvement give it a new age feel without changing the set up.