Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

The Mortal Instruments

11 years ago

One of my friends told me about this book called "The Mortal Instruments and even mentioned about the movie which i saw is supposed to be released in late august 2013. I looked online about it, and it seems kind of interesting. I just have a few questions regarding the series and the plot

1- Is it a book for both genders (Obviously there is no gender restriction) haha, but im wondering as a male will i like it. I heard there is action and romance.

2- Is the writing good? I heard the series is fun, entertaining, but the series tails off after a while. I don't know

3- Finally, based on the users here. Should I read it? or give it a shot?

The Mortal Instruments

11 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh!

I am absolutely in love with The Mortal Instruments Series! I think guys and girls alike will love them if they are into fantasy. They give Harry Potter a run for his money, for sure.

1. It's for both genders, but probably primarily for females just because of the more vivid descriptions on males. The storyline has two major plots: Valentine vs. Clary, which is action, and Jace and Clary, which is more romantic.

2. The writing is just great! It's clever, funny and very appealing to young adults.

3. READ IT!

The Mortal Instruments

10 years ago

Well, this is totally late, but if you're still curious..
Definitely a lot more action than the typical teen paranormal romance (it's about demon-slayers).  If you're a fan of Harry Potter, you'll notice some similarities (Muggles are called mundanes, Voldamort is a guy named Valentine who was supposed to be dead.)  I think it would be interesting for a guy to read, though probably a bit more for girls because of the romance.  The books do a good job of portraying monsters as monsters and not as creepy romantics who wait around for the perfect human to fall in love with.  Vampires are evil and try to kill the good guys.  Werewolves eat flesh.  Fairies trick people into terrible things.  I'm certainly a fan and would say read!

The Mortal Instruments

10 years ago

Ooh, can't beleive I never noticed this. I read the mortal instruments (and last time I checked, I have a penis) so i'm pretty sure that a guy could enjoy it as well. Sometimes I feel as if it's dragging on, and the plot gets a little bit un-believable from time to time, but it's still rather good. 

Skysworne, have you read the fourth and last book yet? Finally got their happy ending ^_^
(Though I hate the fact that the author just left a clifhanger with the fairy queen there, just for jokes)

The Mortal Instruments

10 years ago

Oh, apparently the series started as a Harry Potter fanfic.  That explains a lot.  Eeww.. does that mean that Clary and Jace were supposed to be Voldemort's children?  Who would, er, reproduce with that thing?  I've read up to Fallen Angels, but haven't read the latest, Lost Souls.  The first two are the best, but the series does start to get a little weird after a while.  Hopefully the movies will be good!

The Mortal Instruments

10 years ago

Oh, I thought lost souls was the last one. My mistake ^_^(I've confused a good deal of things in the series, it's been a while)