Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Help anyone?

11 years ago

Alright so i have been working on my first whenever i get a chance and its rolling along at about a snails pace, but at least its moving. However since i work pretty long hours i can only get on at night and sometimes that's pretty late. Today i took the time and instead ok continuing writing i stopped and read through what i wrote and i fixed and expanded all the stuff that i got lazy on. While doing that though i realized that a few of the choices may leave people not sure why this is happening. Like i said though the game changes a lot depending on your first choices. One you can do will lead you to fight in an actual war, where another will lead to making political and economical choices to help a city. Ive been working on this every night since i started it and i believe im up to 30 something pages and im not done with the second section yet. All that being said id like to move to the reason im writing this.

I get bored easy, so im thinking of starting a second story to write when i get bored of the first. I got an idea and i mapped it out the same way as the first, plotting major events in the world and such, but I just cant seem to get past the first page. I bet i have typed it out a dozen times but i end up erasing it after i read it, so heres the question.

If the character already knows something that is pretty much the basis of the story do i go ahead and say it or let it come naturally? 

Also if anyone is interested in co-writing with me please say so.

Help anyone?

11 years ago

If the reader is asked to take on the roll of the protagonist directly, IE you write in second person or in first person, then yeah, they should know all of the important plot points (short of some kind of amnesia). If it's written in third person, then, if you're very skillful, you can work in a plot twist like the one you're talking about.

Help anyone?

11 years ago

I've always liked the classic narrator's story. By that i mean the omniscient narrator knows all and follows the protagonist on his journey. So it would write like "You walk into the room and see a frog."

Help anyone?

11 years ago

The omniscient narrator isn't (almost ever) written in second person. The omniscient narrator is written in 3rd person such as:

John walked into the room, thinking to himself: this room is truly delighftul. Meanwhile, at the other side of the room, Peter was irate and John's obvious joy only served to exacerbate his emotions.

Notice that the omniscient narrator "hears the thoughts" of all of the characters. Hence his omniscience.

"You walk into the room and see a frog" is an example of second person limited and it's not really suited to the task you want to accomplish.

Help anyone?

11 years ago

When comes down to writing in general most are written in third person, but for a game where you take the role of a character i think "you" would make it easier for the readers to follow the story then saying the protagonist's name if you understand what im saying.

Help anyone?

11 years ago

I'm not sure if it would be easier for the readers but I get what you're saying.

Like I said though, I was answering this question: "If the character already knows something that is pretty much the basis of the story do i go ahead and say it or let it come naturally? "

If you write it in second person, you basically can't hide crucial information that the character would be apprised to.