Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Recommend me something on the Napoleonic Wars

one year ago
VERY long overdue on this one, but finally started reading War and Peace the other day to get a head start on my 2023 goals.

I've come to two realizations:

1) I'm now too old to read text on my phone for a few hours without messing up my eyes.

2) I really know jack shit about the Napoleanic Wars except for what we glossed over in high school. I know more details on his personal life than about the actual campaigns. I have probably subconsciously avoided learning about Napolean era tactics precisely because of the kind of people who are into that.

I'm still more interested in historical fiction, journals, or stuff that gets into the actual impact on people over grodnardery stats, but I'll look at anything that seems interesting.

one year ago

I'd recommend getting more familiar with the timeframe before delving too deep into historical fiction or journals. Context is important when it comes to history, after all. If you're interested, these two videos by Oversimplified would get your foot in the door: Napoleonic Wars Part One    Napoleonic Wars Part Two

He breaks it down into digestible chunks and doesn't really go too in depth but it is a good launching point! 

one year ago
I'm reading War and Peace, can't delve much deeper than that.

one year ago

You're not wrong. Enjoy it! I haven't read it myself (mostly because my grandmother is a history teacher and I can't take much more)

one year ago
Get a Kindle. It will be large enough that you can adjust the text to any size you like that's comfortable. And I think they all have dark mode now, too.