Rating Games And Leaving Comments
Rating things is pretty simple business. In a nutshell:
- don't bin everything into ratings of 1 and 8, please
- base your rating mostly on the story
- keep your weird personal biases out of the rating
- give a little credit for polish (easy to read, high word counts, good branching, etc.)
Here's some side advice about rating comments:
- mention what you liked. Readers want to know why it's good and authors want to know what works.
- mention what you didn't like, what was weird, etc. There's no need to sugarcoat. This is invaluable to authors.
- nobody cares if you skipped a whole page because it mentioned rugs and you just hate rugs. So don't point out your weird biases.
Hope that helps.