Hunters and the Hunted

a Horror by ultraoverlord

Commended by BerkaZerka on 11/11/2018 10:50:02 AM

Player Rating5.52/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 36 ratings since 10/28/2018
played 685 times (finished 53)

"march in the swamp"

"Not going to lose any sleep"

"need to be accompanied by an adult"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 13. If this were a movie, it would probably be PG.

They came at night, hunting relentlessly for humans. Nobody knew where they came from, why they were here, or what they were.

This is a contest entry for BZ's creatures of the night contest.

I have some mixed feelings regarding this game. On the one hand, the writing itself is spectacular. It's well-polished, with few grammatical/spelling errors, and very suspenseful. I genuinely enjoyed reading this, and pursued all of the pathways just to see what diversity the story had to offer. On the other hand, the game seems a bit overly linear / short.

The premise was really interesting. I love how the protagonist (SPOILERS): had the option to reveal themselves in different parts of the narrative, even though this often led to a bad ending. I also liked the diversity of moral choices offered, and the interactions between the protagonist and the humans (both turned and non-turned). I love how so many of the humans didn't trust him, whereas others that he'd fostered relationships with tentatively did.

As some other people mentioned, I did feel like a couple of the moral choices were forced choices. (SPOILERS: we're forced to kill the woman in the beginning, if we don't want an immediate 'game over'. If we want to obtain the game's true ending -- the revolution ending -- we must also choose to betray one of the fellow turned, and let them die, for the sake of helping humankind).

These seemed like such interesting pathways to pursue. I would've liked to see more branching for these parts. And as for the canon storyline; I wish this was longer as well. It was just an enjoy to read, and I would've liked to see more. How do the other humans react to this member of the undead helping them? Does the undead protagonist get any more people to help him on his quest?

Another comment I have is regarding the protagonist's family and loved ones. (SPOILERS: We only see his wife on the ending in which we choose to be a killer. Why couldn't we have seen his family on the ending in which we chose to help?) I would've loved to see these interactions, and if he could've tentatively gotten his previous family members to trust him. There is also room for increased drama, here, if the protagonist continues to deal with his unceasing hunger.

I'd give this game a 5.5 / 8, which I've rounded up to a 6/8 since the rating system doesn't allow half-ratings. But I think this could make for an excellent story if it was simply expanded more.
-- Reader82 on 1/26/2020 12:53:34 AM with a score of 0
Revolution baby!
-- etrow5 on 7/25/2019 8:59:51 PM with a score of 0
Loved it!!! More please.
-- Quorrah on 7/13/2019 12:46:06 PM with a score of 0
Quite enjoyable. If there were more choice breaks I would rate it significantly higher. Very well-written.
-- Quorrah on 7/13/2019 11:52:41 AM with a score of 0
It's good but too short!
-- Kuro on 3/6/2019 4:33:08 PM with a score of 0
Awesome! Brilliant story and got the revolution ending which is practically pacifist mode. Good grammar and plot line.
No wonder it came second.
-- ZombieWriter9188 on 1/3/2019 6:18:00 PM with a score of 0
Well written. Very entertaining.
-- Quorrah on 12/30/2018 10:13:49 AM with a score of 0
"and soon there would be an army of humans, all carrying buckets of chlorine to wipe these monsters off the earth."

This line just made me lol. Its such an absurd sounding sentence but it's also great.

This story was alright, it wasn't as exciting as it could have been. The way you described everything felt kind of passive, so instead of getting an idea of the fear the protagonist felt, I was only aware that they were afraid.

Seems like the Hunters could have been more devious in my opinion, they just kind of seemed to passively wait to get murdered (like the one dragged to the pool). Although maybe they just have a really easy going nature for things that break into houses and murder people.

The only time I got a true sense of any kind of foreboding was at the end of the epilogue I got, where several of the Hunters charge towards the garage.

I mean, I kinda figure the characters are all going to be okay. It wasn't even a particularly thrilling scene, but more like it would have been good.

Any ways, this story wasn't too bad for an attempt at horror. Keep up the work.
-- corgi213 on 11/4/2018 12:17:28 PM with a score of 0
A solid storygame, even if it could have been expanded more. As the others mentioned, it seemed a bit arbitrary the way some interactions with humans were handled in the Hero path. Example: you don't get the choice of sparing the first woman, even if afterwards you can choose not to kill or approach humans for most of the game.
The Hunter path instead is shorter and very linear, even if the idea of acquiring the pack mentality was interesting.

In general, a few possible choices have been cut out throughout the storylines and the actions you can make are realistically commonplace, but that doesn't make it a bad storygame. It's a simple one, it doesn't have many branches, but it has a coherent plot and solid grammar. It would have been great to learn where the Hunters came from and know the fate of the Revolutionary ending, but I guess you can't have everything in life.
-- undr on 11/3/2018 1:13:43 PM with a score of 0
This is a great story game. I wish you didn't have to kill the first woman, but I still loved every moment. I would love to see sequels about trying to cure the main character, giving him a way to talk, learning if there are anymore good taken, and the rest of the revolution.
-- Future1 on 11/2/2018 6:31:21 PM with a score of 0