Non-threaded

Forums » Bugs & Problems » Read Thread

Post reports about problems or bugs in here.

Greek characters not supported in rich text editor

8 years ago

Very excited about the educational prospects of this great site, I took a shot at typing some text in Greek (with the intention of creating the odd adventure for my students at the University of Piraeus in Greece).

Unfortunately, the editor (even in advanced mode) converts Greek characters either to giberrish or to symbol characters, e.g.:

<p>&Epsilon;&Icirc;&macr;&nu;&alpha;&iota; &delta;&upsilon;&nu;&alpha;&tau;&Iuml;&OElig;&nu; &nu;&alpha; &delta;&eta;&mu;&iota;&omicron;&upsilon;&rho;&gamma;&Icirc;&reg;&sigma;&epsilon;&iota; &kappa;&Icirc;&not;&pi;&omicron;&iota;&omicron;&sigmaf; &mu;&iota;&alpha; &pi;&epsilon;&rho;&iota;&pi;&Icirc;&shy;&tau;&epsilon;&iota;&alpha; &sigma;&tau;&alpha; &Epsilon;&lambda;&lambda;&eta;&nu;&iota;&kappa;&Icirc;&not;.</p>

As a result, the text does not look right.

Any ideas? Can the authors of the site add this functionality?

Best from Greece,

John A. Paravantis
University of Piraeus

Greek characters show as gibberish

8 years ago

<p>&Epsilon;&Icirc;&macr;&nu;&alpha;&iota; &delta;&upsilon;&nu;&alpha;&tau;&Iuml;&OElig;&nu; &nu;&alpha; &delta;&eta;&mu;&iota;&omicron;&upsilon;&rho;&gamma;&Icirc;&reg;&sigma;&epsilon;&iota; &kappa;&Icirc;&not;&pi;&omicron;&iota;&omicron;&sigmaf; &mu;&iota;&alpha; &pi;&epsilon;&rho;&iota;&pi;&Icirc;&shy;&tau;&epsilon;&iota;&alpha; &sigma;&tau;&alpha; &Epsilon;&lambda;&lambda;&eta;&nu;&iota;&kappa;&Icirc;&not;.</p>

(In Source) =

Είναι δυνατÏŒν να δημιουργήσει κάποιος μια περιπέτεια στα Ελληνικά.

8 years ago

Yes. But the characters are wrong. Look at the character after the initial E, look at the ® character, look at the repeated Î­. The editor has translated all the intonated Greek characters to gibberish, e.g. "Ε?ναι" [EDIT: the intonated iota gets translated to a question mark, the entire site has Unicode problems] has been translated to "Είναι".

Still, the question is not whether the editor can translate Greek text into symbol characters; the question is whether the editor can support full and proper Unicode.

I am hoping you can look into it and possibly come up with an improvement in the code.

8 years ago

So yeah, you can use Greek Symbols, but they have to be placed in the Source side of your Page and the Page Saved from there.

This means however, with a current Bug, that they will get erased IF you leave the Source side before Saving - or go back into the Page to Edit it later (which would then require that you re-place them in the Source side, each time you want to Edit the Page).

8 years ago

All in all, the entire site seems to be Unicode unfriendly.

I do not know how easy it is for you to correct this. 

I should not be complaining all the time though. Chooseyourstory.com is an outstanting site and I thank you very much for making it freely available!

8 years ago

Yeah, I did run into the edit source code bug -- it would be nice if you can correct that as well.

8 years ago
I'd just recommend disabling the rich text editor in your profile. Unless you're constantly bolding or colouring text there's really no need to use it.