Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

Next prompt is on Monday. I'm disappointed with you slackers for not participating last time except for Mizal and WIBN, so make sure you write this time unless you want to suffer shame and humiliation.

Rules:

1. Pick one of the prompts and write about it for no more than 20 minutes. You can write for longer if you want, but only words written during the 20 minutes count towards your total, so mark where you ran out of time.

2. You will be graded on wordcount and overall coherence. You will not be graded on quality, so write as fast as you can while still producing something that makes sense and would be salvageable with cleanup. It doesn't have to have an ending or form a complete story, but it should at least read like an excerpt from a longer work.

3. When you're done, post your wordcount. Posting your story is optional. We understand it will be terrible.

4. You may go back and work on previous days if you missed them.

5. You may write fanfiction if your heart desires.

Prompt #1: You're on a plane for routine travel, but it goes somewhere unexpected.

Prompt #2: A gate with magic seals on it

@WouldntItBeNice @Steve24833 @JJJ-thebanisher @Seto @bbshark @Bucky @mizal @FrankIevatus @TheNewIAP @Romulus @TacocaT @Crescentstar @Mayana @Zulutrader @MasonJarGuzzi

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

Are you allowed to write one of these if you didn't participate in the other prompts?

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

Yep! By all means, please write something. Posting it is optional, but do post your wordcount.

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

Yoland stood in front of the last flight of steps in a cold sweat. Fresh specks of snow drifted atop his thick, wool coat. He took a moment to look back and admire his progress. Compared to the sixteen steps directly in front of him, he had climbed thousands to arrive here. He had forsaken friends and his duties as an arch-mage just to arrive at this peak, at this exact time. There would not be a moment like this for another ten thousand years.

After climbing the final few steps, Yoland saw the object of his desire. In front of him stood a massive, stone gate, adorned with writing of nations past. The screams of the ritual's failure still rang out in his mind... what they did... what he did.

The first blast of light fired from Yoland's palms, shattering something on impact. The smoke cleared to reveal what the blast had hit; a glowing rune. It swirled in place, strange voices from other realms calling out to him. He knew what must be done, and fired two more blasts. As with the first, the smoke cleared to reveal two more runes, each with a different glowing symbol.

Yoland concentrated and placed a finger to his temple. His eyes started to glow a vibrant blue and he stuck out his hand. Massive, glowing lines took form and connected the runes into the shape of a star constellation; the very same constellation sparkling in the sky above. The very same constellation that would only be here for this night, and none other. The same constellation that was the key to unlocking the gate.

All of the sudden, Yoland screamed. The runes turned a crimson red and pulsated outward. The seals shattered and the gate began to open. Blinding light emerged from the cracks within the stone. Everything he ever did flashed in his mind. How he was shapeless, floating in the void. How a group of foolish mages performed a ritual that cost them their lives, just to gain access. How they released him. How he impersonated one for years, using his knowledge of void magic to rise to arch-mage status. All of this, just so he could get back there. Back to the void.

Yoland took a step forward. He was finally coming home.

Word count: 387

Prompt: #2

Time remaining: 9m, 47s.

Author's Note: I decided to quit while I was ahead. I know I'm graded on word count, but I felt that if I added more to the story it would just be fluff.

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

ANNND Editlock.

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

289 words: I wrote in a storygame, but I was handicapped by watching a yipping, farting dog that I was watching for somebody.

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

Prompt 2:

A man walks up a thousand steps. His cape is flowing in the dusty wind, and if he wasn't wearing a helmet, sand would've already blinded him. It seemed that only a few seconds ago, he was one thousand steps to go. Now it seems that there were twenty thousand steps to go. But he must go on. Crow would do it, for the Coalition. 

The wind blared on, making sand pour down the steps. Heaps of terrain brushed in too his under armor, and searched for his skin. But Crow kept on trudging. The sandstorm was beginning to fade.....barely. It better be worth it. No, it was worth it. He would come home as a hero to all. The Crow who opened the gate of time......that's more like it. 

Now adrenaline has begun to pump through, and he gets faster. Eventually, he gets there. The massive doors are in sight. But the sand blurred his vision. Crow wipes off a clump of dust from his steel helmet. His HUD begins to hum, and senses nearby activity. No need to worry. He was trained for this. Crow reaches for his sidearm, and fingers it with courage. Nothing here can hurt me, he thought. The Alliance grunts are nothing to be afraid of. 

Crow begins to walk towards the huge doors, and when he nears an ancient seal glows in midair. Must be E.T technology. The gates of time are a remnant of the alien race's most powerful utilities before the Sovereignty wiped them all out. Crow takes out a microchip, and deploys it into a slot. It begins to work its way through the system, hopefully opening it. 

Bzzzzz......

Crow turns to the sound. A figure appears in the wind. It glows with an unearthly hum, and fires a bolt at him. Crow nimbly dodges it, and the blast stings the ground next to him. Energy rises from the spot, and slightly melts the ground. It wasn't the Outer Alliance.

Rebels don't make plasma burns.

Crow aims his gun, but before he could fire another blast hits his upper arm. Screaming as the pain travels his body, he drops his pistol. Two figures are now in sight, and when they near Crow can see a little bit of a robotic body. It's eye glows red and studies him, before letting out an ear-splitting sound and grasping Crow's arm. Crow struggles to get the robotic arm off, but it ignores him and pulls harder. Crow hears a snap, and a splatter of his blood hits the ground. The limb comes completely off!

The other robot watches Crow as the other studies his arm. Crow screams and reaches for his gun, but the robot watching him slaps him across the face. The cold metal probably dented his skull. Crow knew it was all over. His eyesight was fading, and sand covered him. He could barely see the gate of time opening. His mission was a success.....almost. Crow looks up to see the sun for the last time, but only sees the robot leaning over him. It lets out a noise and crushes his skull with his foot.

Time started: 5:03

Time ended: 5:18

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

EDITLOCK

Writing Prompts #9

7 years ago

(539 words)