Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

The Animal School

5 years ago

The animals organized a school to help their children deal with the problems of the "new world" and to make it easier to administer the curriculum of running, climbing, swimming and flying; they decided that all their children would take all the subjects. This produced some interesting results...

The duck was excellent in swimming but relatively poor in running, so he devoted himself to improving his running through extra practice. Eventually, his webbed feet got so badly worn that he dropped to only average in swimming. But average was acceptable in this school so nobody worried about that, except the duck.

The rabbit had a nervous breakdown because the other animals said she looked like a rat when she jumped in the water for swimming class and all her hair got matted down. She was also very exhausted due to all the makeup work after swimming class.

In the climbing class, the eagle beat all the others to the top of the tree, but kept insisting on using his own method of getting there. This was unacceptable, so the eagle was severely disciplined.

And then the fish came home from school and said, “Mom, Dad, I hate school. Swimming is great. Flying is fun if they let me start in the water. But running and climbing? I don’t have any legs; and I can’t breathe out of the water.”

The fish’s parents made an appointment for her with the principal who took one look at her progress reports and decreed, “You are so far ahead of the rest of the class in swimming that we’re going to let you skip swimming classes and give you private tutoring in running and climbing.”

The fish was last seen heading for Canada to request political asylum. 

The squirrel was excellent in climbing until he developed frustration in the flying class, where his teacher made him start from the ground up instead of the treetop down. He also developed a "Charlie horse" from overexertion and then got a C in climbing and a D in running.

At the end of the year, an abnormal eel that could swim exceedingly well and also run, climb and fly a little had the highest average and was valedictorian.

The prairie dogs stayed out of school and fought the tax levy because administration would not add digging and burrowing to the curriculum. They apprenticed their children to a badger and later joined the groundhogs and gophers to start a successful private school.

Does this fable have a moral?

For the sake of etiquette, let's give it one:

Let the fish swim. Let the rabbits run. Let the eagles fly.

We don’t want a school of average ducks.

or, Play to people’s strengths.

The Animal School

5 years ago

Eh, it's not a bad fable but you didn't exactly strive for creativity. You didn't make grammar or syntax mistakes and the structure is ok, but I guess I just didn't care much for the content.

Fables are not easy to appreciate once you're no longer a kid because you've already listened to tons of them, so in creating a new one you really have to make it original and interesting in order to appeal to the readers. And in this genre this isn't exactly easy, since the usual morals are numbered. I don't think it's impossible though.

One more thing: was the moral just a generic "play to people's strenghts" or where you also referring specifically to the school system?

The Animal School

5 years ago

It was both, I wanted to like criticize the school system a bit and also give a straightforward moral. Well I vaguely remembered reading something similar somewhere so I was like let's add something new and create a little satirical fable.

The Animal School

5 years ago

I don't really agree with the criticism of the school system, but the logic of the fable works well enough in the generic meaning. As I said, it's actually alright, it just didn't appeal much to me personally.

The Animal School

5 years ago

Well thanks for commenting anyway :-) 

Check out the poem I posted too.