Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Should be part of a larger site css overhaul.

[Player] Storygame View Settings

10 years ago

I think it would be really nice if we had some view options for the storygames on this site. Some ideas that I have are the following:

+Ability to increase text size for those who think the words on the page are too small.

+Day/Night mode where the screen can go from white background with black text, to black background with white text.

+Allowing us to adjust the margins of the story! When reading on a tablet, I would prefer if the margins were shorter than spanning all the way across the screen!

+Adjusting the font/format of links.

With these features in mind, I think it would make the experience more fun! 

7 years ago

Necromancy aside, Day/Night mode seems like it would interfere with customized backgrounds and colored text (such as this).

Aside from that, I like the other suggestions. In addition, maybe the choice to center and move the text to the left or right would be considered? Different ways to view the storygame would be appreciated.

7 years ago
I understand the idea. And actually the way the Internet was designed, you should have those options -- and since you do, it can be very, very difficult from the side of the web site to control them.

For example, in most browsers you can control the zoom yourself. Try CTRL+ and CTRL-, those usually work. Since you can change the size, the way HTML works it can be hard to have the site control it. In addition, authors of stories would actually have the ability to override any settings the site puts on them and cannot override your own options!

The day/night mode and font/format of the links can also be controlled by you. Somewhere in your browser you should have a settings section, and if you can find it (for some browsers it is buried these days), you can actually set the colors of the link and even the font that is used on the screen. And as with the other option, you can completely override any setting the site uses and also the authors (if they know how) can quite easily override any settings the site attempts to use.

As for reading on a tablet, I certainly understand the margin issues. I'm not sure if there's a setting for that, but it wouldn't surprise me. But again, with a bit of css coding, I can override any site settings for margins at will.

The amount of effort that it would take to do this would really be quite large and likely there would STILL be some way that authors could slip around it if they wanted to.