Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 1/17/2017: See comments

Minimum word count for comments

7 years ago

I think by having a minimum word count for comments, there would be more insightful comments and a decrease in spam

7 years ago
You underestimate the power of holding the key down. ;)

7 years ago
You can express an opinion on a story in as little as one word. Comments shouldn't have to be detailed critiques of the story. That's an absurd standard, which many are not qualified to meet anyway.

There's nothing wrong with expressing a simple, "I enjoyed it," or "Good."

7 years ago

I think a 10 word minimum would be fair, after all a person who joins a writing site shouldn't be surprised that they have to do a bit of writing.

7 years ago
Again, you can express an opinion in few words.

Fun story, lots of humor.
-- BigRonn77 on 9/7/2016 2:39:03 PM with a score of 0

A comment left on Cliche Adventures ^

Please, tell me, what is wrong with this comment? Why should comments like this be disallowed? In five words, he expresses that he found the story both enjoyable and humorous throughout. Comments aren't mandated to be insightful remarks on the story. Giving other readers an idea of what to expect, or a nice note to the author are both perfectly good types of commentary. And you don't have to prattle on like a buffoon to do this.

7 years ago

The comment itself isn't bad but it can be more, I personally believe adding a few more little details, such as explaining what exactly they found humorous wouldn't be a huge request. Every little bit of insight can help make the author's story that much better. For example the comment you left on my story "Stockholm Syndrome" was helpful in pointing out to me what went wrong and I felt it played a factor in making my next story be better received 

7 years ago

Do you have any evidence that this word minimum would encourage people to leave longer comments instead of no comments? I don't see any reason to believe that.

7 years ago
Not everyone has the time or motivation to leave detailed feedback. Not everyone knows enough about writing to leave detailed feedback. Not every author shows enough effort to be worth giving detailed feedback. Providing meaningful detailed feedback is timely and a chore. And all feedback is not equal.

Other authors simply don't want or need it. For example, End would rather have someone praising him in a few words than try and tell him how to write stories.

7 years ago

Hell, I’d actually rather see someone just leaving a “Your story sucks.” comment rather than someone going on some boring rant about how I’m an agent of the patriarchy and what I can do to change that.

7 years ago
Two words: Genderless Robots. XD