Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Suggested many times

{SITE & MEMBERS} Downloading Stories

7 years ago

Look, what I really want is a way to be able to pla storygames offline. If the download thing won't work, then maybe an offline mode or something that would allow us to play storygames offline? I  think this would be useful becuase, well, a lot of times I don't have access to Wi-fi, but I want to play a storygame and later when  have a Wi-fi connection, but I'm not really in the mood for a storygame then. Overall, I think it would be really useful and might get more people playing more stories more often.

7 years ago
Well it's not exactly as simple as 3J just adding a 'download' button. I'm not sure how well the site scripting would translate to an offline file or how much work that would take. Presumably, a lot.

Otherwise I agree in theory, the CYS editor is the only IF making tool I'm aware of that doesn't allow games to be exported and shared. Though arguably that's one of the reasons we have such a strong community centered around the site itself.

7 years ago
Ummmm. In order to play something offline you'd have to download it by necessity.

It could be useful, but ultimately we don't have a way of doing this right now. Given how little it would actually add to the site itself (if anything being able to download storygames would discourage people from coming over as often), I don't see this happening.

7 years ago
Nice idea, but I'm just about positive that the way the stories are setup with scripts and the like that there is almost no way to get them to download and execute on a remote machine (unless that machine has a windows server operating system on it).