Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The hardest class I have ever taken.

10 years ago

So, currently in my high school life of nothing but parties trying to not fail.

Chemistry has been telling me to go fuck my self.

I started falling into a f about two weeks ago, bumped it up to a 65, and then I went as fast as the sun to get it up to a 70.

Which leads me to an opinionated question of sorts.

What is the hardest class you can take in high school?

So far I think it's chemistry.

10 years ago

Ethics :p

My teacher is a self-righteous, imperious bitch with what must be the intelligence of a brain dead pile of animated feces.

I disagree with essentially every world out of that anal opening that is supposed to be her mouth, and writing down her opinions in order to get good grades physically pains me.

10 years ago

Ethics?

Over what...

-Hasn't had an ethics class-

I had a government class, and my teacher was very opinionated, but she didn't force it down your throat.

10 years ago

It's a government mandated class in Canada where they try and tell you what morality is (unsurprisingly, they model themselves greatly after the social contract and Thomas Hobbes' theories, and of course neglect to tell us that they're taking a fundamentally flawed morality system and presenting it as the undeniable truth of what Morality is- something that, despite MILLENIA of work and brilliant philosophers, we still don't actually know. So fuck them.) and then tell you that whatever personal code of "ethics" you follow is irrelevant. Oh, an they also tell you that you don't REALLY have a personal ethics code, your ethics are decided by the people around you.

10 years ago

My ethics involve killing the weak and then the strong.

I don't think anyone around me currently has that as their code of honor.

Take that society!

Anywho, it sounds like a brainwash class.

Hell, even my American government class pointed out flaws and let us have opinions, Canada is like the new Russia.

10 years ago

It is. Hobbes' theories (not that they actually TELL us that they're stealing from Hobbes - but the relation is obvious) was essentially this: What your goverment says is right is morally right, and what your goverment says is wrong is morally wrong. (Since Hobbes' system dictated that the social contract was a contract that the people make between not only each other, but with their goverment. The goverment keeps order, and what it says is necessary for society ot function. To go against the goverment is to go against the contract, and to do so is to be immoral)

10 years ago

So it is communism...but without all the equality.

Has Canada always been this way.

TIME TO ANEX CANADA

10 years ago

Hobbes' theory is idiotic in my opinion, it is a never ending circle of nonsense that never actually works out. (If you're of a different opinion, I'd love to do my best to crush Hobbes into dust for you =P)

10 years ago

Have you played Socrates Jones? You get to go up against Thomas Hobbes in that game.

10 years ago

Yes, he has (Though he didn't make it past the arbiter last time I checked, though he should have by now)

10 years ago

Myeh, Hobbes was alright, definately an interesting read even if I don't agree with him. I like the idea of a social contract, but since no actual contract exists it's impossible to ABSOLUTELY (we can theorize all day long) define what a government should and shouldn't do so it's kinda sorta pointless. I do appreciate how Hobbes basically allows the government free reign as long as it's efficient, I don't agree with it but I do like how he doesn't support corrupt or otherwise non-working governments.

Anywhosit, the fun part about ethics classes here is - get this - they can't actually be about ethics. My professor tried (I wasn't in the class, but I'm friends with the professor and one of my brothers took it last semester) but when he got into the actual issues people would claim he was being biased (which if you met him you'd know that he simply gives the other side a chance, not supports it), try to complain about abusive material, or in some cases even cry in class. So basically, we can't have proper ethics classes because people don't like to believe that other people have different opinions than they do.

10 years ago

You lucky bastard you.

10 years ago

Not taking this class yet, but my senior friends tell me that physics is really hard.

10 years ago

Currently, AP history. Though, that's mostly because I'm in an none-proctored class, so it's hard to actually study for the quizzes. :P

AP physics is somewhat difficult as well

10 years ago

I'm in AP history.

Like.

Right now.

I think it's semi-hard

10 years ago

The thing about HIstory is that every class depends on the teacher, same with math. English and Science I've always been able to do the same in regardless of the teacher (although I heard the physics teacher made the class awful (never took it), but it's mostly math so that makes sense).

10 years ago

Just imagine no teacher for history. :P

10 years ago

God that would be awful. I can't read for very long without being distracted so I would need the lectures XD

10 years ago

Yeah, it's difficult. I have to actively force myself to read the chapter/day. Hell. 

10 years ago

Whoa, you guys need to read a chapter a day? (A section would be decently hard enough, but a chapter?)

10 years ago

That's actually what we do in college history, and that's just the freshman-level course ;)

10 years ago

Nah, I love my history teacher (He's an awesome guy, rather new to teaching but he knows his shit and he screws around with us for most classes).

10 years ago

Chemistry is my strongest subject (strait 100's - Woot!)!

My Honors US History I class is run by a tyrannical bitch (how ironic!) with no sense of humor and unrealistic expectations of honors (like expecting us to know how to write a proper debate essay/write up without ever being taught any such thing (bitch is mauling my 4.3 GPA!)).

But in terms of what I have the hardest time understanding . . . English =P (ironic as well) . . .

10 years ago

Not very ironic when you spell 'straight' with the wrong form, 'strait' XD

10 years ago

I dunno, I just do well in all of them. Mwhahahaha!

10 years ago

The hardest class for me in high school was math. Well, the harder math anyway - halfway through my final year I dropped to regular math to boost my overall score (as at the time I wasn't planning on doing a science-based course at university) and it was by far the easiest subject there.

I think the reason it was hard was a combination of two things. The first is that it was taught terribly - I learned how to plug in formulas/methods but never learned to understand what was happening (ie. learning the Power Rule but not the proof of why it works, or how to differentiate by using the limit process), so I was confused the majority of the time. The other reason is because I'm a bit of a slow learner, so I found it hard to keep up with. Now that I'm in a science degree again I've been teaching myself high school math (and a little uni math too) to get up to speed with the course and I'm finding it a lot easier, probably because it's not being taught wrong and I've got more time to learn it.

10 years ago

My hardest class in AP World History. He is an excellent teacher, but makes the class so difficult, that it has gained a reputation of one of the hardest classes in my school. For tests, he gives us 45 minutes to write five extended response questions, each of which can be anything from the unit, and must be between 1-1 1/3 pages long. If it was not for those tests, I would do much better

10 years ago

Same, mine was by far Chemistry in Junior Year. The teacher was an absolute genius, but never really changed the content of his lectures when he went from college teaching to high school. It's not that bad of a thing though, everyone who took his class and even got Ds went on to get As and Bs in college chemistry, and my college GPA is way more important than my high school as far as I'm concerned :P

10 years ago

God, I cannot understand math :P

10 years ago

Well, in my particular 'high school,' which no longer exists... probably 'Presidents.' We literally had to memorize every U.S. president, in order, along with a variety of completely useless information about each.

I got 104% on the final. I have no idea how I did it. And I don't remember any of it now. XD

10 years ago

Good ol' high school, where your future depends on information you will never use in your future :D

10 years ago

There's no real 'hardest class' in my school but there's certainly the 'hardest teachers'...

10 years ago

Oh God. In college there was this one computer science professor who was known for making his class gratuitously hard, and being completely unhelpful outside of class. Like he was deliberately trying to fail students he didn't think were good enough to be in the program.

I took the equivalent class at another local college just to avoid him. :P

10 years ago

I have to agree with chemistry but even that isn't too hard. Probably because I have the best teacher ever but yeah it's still tough. And we have finals in two days. =\

10 years ago

I had a friend who goes to a local private school and one of her "tests" was baking a cookie and explaining how it was a physical or chemical change -_-. I was so pissed.

10 years ago

... What?

(I mean, it's chemical, but what the fuck? That's a TEST? Why was the baking of the cookie necessary?)

10 years ago

Because they want their students to look like they have good grades on paper

10 years ago

Wow, I could make a mean pancake and/or pecan pie. College chemistry will be in the bag cool

10 years ago

Nope nope nope. This was a private Christian High School

10 years ago

That.. That doesn't make it any better.

(Though from the sound of it, you could have just italicized "High" in high school and it would then sound like a perfect description of the school where students bake cookies for science)

10 years ago

Yeah, that yeast makes all cookies high...

10 years ago

I was thinking more along the lines of "Why would those science teachers want their students to bake so many coo- oooooooooooh"

10 years ago

I haven't really had a difficult class unless I haven't been paying attention. Being the psycho that I am, I just find it all so boring. 

I've often had to allude to math problems as "Papers Please"-style border patrol, assassinations, and detective work to keep from reaching from an inescapable gap of total boredom and thought-loss.

Labelling the atoms in molecules was something I found rather fun for some really strange reason...

10 years ago

This year?

None, I've been doing quite well in all my classes.

The last 3 school years on the other hand... 

10 years ago

I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM IN CHEMISTRY!

the teacher at my school doesn't know how to teach for shit. I'm one of those people who can do no homework at all and still get A's on the test, not in chemistry. Chemistry is the only class I have ever struggled in.

10 years ago

Yeah, Chemsitry and Pre-cal forced me into studying :P. Stupid bullies, making everyone feel dumb like that.

10 years ago

Back in my day, literary composition was the hardest class. Although the scientific classes can be pretty hard, the hardest class in high school ever (taken by my father OldManWillakers_IX) is probably economics. It more depends on what you're interested in, and what you're good at :S

10 years ago

Economics is a great class for me so far. My teacher can actually teach unlike some of the other teachers at my school. I'm looking forward to Civics with him. :)

10 years ago

Physics, or basically anything to do with Science. I'm not smart nor am I stupid, I just find the subject incredibly boring. The reason I still turn up to class is because I usually have it after Phys ed, so I use it as my personal sleepy time.

10 years ago

Well, microbiology was sort of hard and the teacher would actually laugh at people who failed his tests. 

What probably made it more difficult though was the fact that it was a half semester class rather than a full year , so he tried to cram all that info in within a shorter time frame.

Same was true for the Anatomy & Physiology class (which I took the semester before micro) but the teacher was a little less ruthless and gave a lot of extra credit for various work. Plus you got to cut up a cat in that class so it wasn't all bad.

Quest class

10 years ago

Hey just curious, did anyone here ever have a hippy class called "Quest" in middle school or high school?

I had it in 6th grade and it was probably the easiest class ever. All you do are a bunch of activities and games relating to growing up, feelings, and some other bullshit like that. I think it's supposed to make you discover yourself or something, but all we ever did was use it as a free period to goof off.

Really seemed like a class that the school systems came up with and thought was a good idea during the 70s.

Quest class

10 years ago

No, but we had team-bulding activities which w goofed off during...

*Kid struggling to climb up a climbing wall, looking down and then fearfully looking at his belay team for moral support*

Me, yelling up to him: Don't worry, we'll be fine!

Quest class

10 years ago

Ropes?

Quest class

10 years ago

Nope, nothing like that. Never heard about it either.

Quest classe

10 years ago

I had a retarded class called 'Emotion Commotion' in middle school once a week for a year. It wasn't even mentioned in the report card, but it was pretty much a bloated female walrus of a teacher talk to us about feelings and adjectives that describe emotions. It was like talking to an annoying school psychologist that sounded like a pedophile or 40 minutes. We couldn't even 'goof off' since the walrus' stubby legs marched across the room, shouting at us (or really just me) if we twitched wrong.

Freaking annoying.

Quest classe

10 years ago

Lol.

The Quest teacher got pissed at all of us one time for something and the next class we had to do nothing but sit through one of these motivational tapes which was followed by a bunch of sea wave sounds and New Age music.

She then threatened to do it again if our class didn't behave better. I don't think it really worked though since she only did it once more and our behavior didn't change drastically. Wasn't much of a punishment, I mean sure it was boring, but it still was better than doing actual work. Plus she had to suffer through the tape as well.

Quest classe

10 years ago

I remember Health Class, which was all about having the Nurse lecture us about eating healthy, and telling us to lie on a website so that our school could get grants. 

Quest class

10 years ago

Not at all.

10 years ago

Probably physics, but that might just be because I came late to the course.

10 years ago

*slow clap ensues*

Gonna forum-game soon?  O.O

10 years ago

It varies by person.

10 years ago

That's why he asks each person ;)