Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Hey! For anyone who's taking my challenge to produce a game for the Spring Thing, I encourage you to swing by the Writing Workshop and post your progress. Whether it's part of your game for people to play, or some concepts that you'd like feedback on, or just your latest word/page/passage count, I think a weekly check-in might help keep us all motivated. ^_^

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

0 Pages, 0 Words, about 5 ideas that I can't get on to paper >.<

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Five ideas is a start!

Do any of them combine well, or is it five different possible games? XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

5 completely unrelated games/ideas, and each of them I'm unsatisfied with XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Well, you could post a brief summary of each and get feedback...?

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Not until I come up with an idea I'm somewhat satisfied with... Thanks though.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Y'know, if you put the setting in outer space, the reader won't give a fuck about how badly the ideas match. You could re-make King Arthur and combine it with Dirty Harry and Super Mario Tennis, people would question your logic no matter how much you try to paint over the seams, however, with some really good writing and explanations, if you put them in space, it all works out.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Funny actually, two of my ideas were space based. Was unsure about how to write them though. If what you say is true,  by rather BS (but rather serious) plot about reaching the end of Infinite may be writable :P

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

If you take it seriously enough, the sheer far-fetchedness of space will make it that much more believable. I've never actually made a real psychological test or anything, but I've sent some rediculous ideas beyond the moon and there they went unquestioned. I believe it's how Flash Gordon got taken so seriously back then, and I think that's what kept fans enchanted through the sketchier moments of Star Trek and Star Wars.

Besides, taken on face value, almost every Anime plot would be BS, and yet they have billions of fans. I think you could be able to slip your infinity passage under the radar, unless the reader insists on being a cynical ass.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

So, do tell us what 

"reaching the end of Infinite" Is about. XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

I've told you about it already, sorta.

Anyways, my idea was that a Darkstar-esque crew of people are sent on a mission to simply explore. As they go, for several hundred (thousand?) years (most of the time in cryogenic suspension, obviously), they catch up to the so-called  'infinite' Universe's ever-growing end, and find a different dimension... Thing.

The idea was based on the fact that the Universe is still 'growing', so I thought there might be a current ' endpoint' that you could catch up to. I don't think that's the case in RL though :P

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Oh yeah, forgot about that story. It's a good concept though. Just don't pull a Flan. XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Yeah, let's hope it doesn't turn into that XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Interesting... I didn't know that the universe looked soo... orange. :P

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

If only :P

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Don't read that Novel, though. Ever since Tan read it, he's been insane. 

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Flan: a Novel By Stephen Tunney?

http://www.amazon.com/Flan-A-Novel-Stephen-Tunney/dp/0941423832/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391920905&sr=8-1&keywords=Flan+a+novel

I liked it.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

... Yeah, I could imagine you reading that novel XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. You not so much?

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

I actually really liked it; but I think it scarred me for life haha. Really sick and horrific book XD

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Yep I agree with you there bud, i like how Jesus was portrayed in the book LOL :)  

NIghtmares dont compare to things trapped within this book's pages. But god D****! so worth it.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

And Elvis Presley :P

Yeah, I staked through that book, and well... Yeah, it really was hell on earth just in writing. XD (Worth it though, I suppose haha)

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

wish to God It came on Kindle. My Paperback is getting rough around the edges from all the people I have loaned it to.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Haha, my version is my Father's. He hasn't lent it to anyone and had it neatly stuffed in his shelves, and one day he just gave it to me to read XD

So it's practically in mint condition haha. Do you have the CD version of it?

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

good lord there is Audio? 

Now that I would love to have. I download a lot of audible books from torrent sites, can I get this one too?

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Also I know I can't recommend this series enough. but if you haven't taken me up on my previous endorsements. This is a must read series. IMO

http://www.amazon.com/Remaining-D-J-Molles/dp/0316404152/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391922008&sr=1-1&keywords=the+remaining

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Nah, the Album, which was also made by Stephen Tunney is just a selection of music that go along with the book. Really awesome haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Flan-Dogbowl/dp/B000007N4P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391922019&sr=8-1&keywords=Flan+album

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

oh, I saw that. had no idea what it was. I'll have to check it out.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

I'm intrigued! And it's called science fiction, not science facts. ;P

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

See, when you pass by the idea to an actual scientist, and he shoots it down, it makes the idea embarrassing XD

But I suppose you're right. Thanks haha.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

That seems like a lot of work.

I wonder what my word-count could even be. I took 4 random pages, and used that to determine the rest of the word-count, and it turns out I'm at about 13.3K words with 44 pages lol.

You're expecting some pretty short stories with a 5K word minimum...

Anyway, I'm doing a time-travel (ish), love story (ish). Kind of like a visual novel format with a different route for each main character, and finally one true route.

I'm basically done the beginning and can soon work on the branching routes.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Sounds promising! Time travel seems like a tricky subject, but also something you could have a lot of fun with... I look forward to seeing what you do with it! ^_^

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

The time traveling part is more of a plot device than the focus of it, so it should be fine ^_^

My plan to explain how it works is "Because science", so there shouldn't be any issue there haha.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Time-traveling love stories sound like they would be an absolute pain to write in general. I don't think I'd ever be able to write something like that.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Time travel just sets up the stage. Apart from the true ending, the initial travel through time is the only time you do it.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Ah, that would make more sense. lol I figured you meant your character would be jumping all over the places. That would have made any relationship hard to maintain.

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Still haven't started. The ideas are there, but I need to work a few things out first.... (Namely life difficulties)

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Well heres my first 4 pages I think, Trying it on twine too but mostly just need to get more on paper lol

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/forbidden

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

Not working for me... do you have preview turned on?

Weekend Workshop!

10 years ago

I do now...

I have rough draft of about 50 pages that I'll try and get done in the next couple of days and readable.