Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

What do you look for in Animal Simulation storygames? If you are unsure what an animal sim is, it's the kind of storygame where you play as a certain animal! I'm currently working on a dragon sim game and I want to make it as enjoyable as possible, so hearing this kind of feedback will be a big help. :) 

So how about it? What do you look for in animal simulation games?

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago
Uh, I'd really like if you could add in the ability to eat "puny little humans" if it's not in thee already, thanks! Of course that might just be me who wants to eat people.

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

Not to worry, Jackson, in my games you will have the ability to eat as many puny little humans as your heart desires.

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

The short answer is that I -don't- look for animal sim games. I've played a few that were good, but the majority I've played turned out very badly.

The longer answer is that I look for the same thing I look for in any CYS: choices, good grammar, good spelling, good plot, engaging characters, and entertaining dialog. For a dragon sim in particular, I'd recommend that you read "Choice of the Dragon" which is not a game here, but is popular among people who like animal sims and CYOAs. I like it, myself.

I'd also like to strongly recommend not plagiarizing, just learning from it. It's a flawed game, mind you. I've played it several times and I always get the same ending which I would normally find really annoying (and I suggest you make multiple endings...)

But it allowed multiple styles of play to get to that ending: You could be a tyrant beast or a noble reptile, you could eat your goblin minions or grant them mercy, you could kidnap either gender of royalty, you could kill a sorcerer, spare and ignore him, partner with him to kill another sorcerer, so on.

You also had your pick of mate, each of which apparently responded to you depending on your past and current actions, and could individually be impressed by your fierce reputation, or your wealth, or your cunning, or your skill in flight, and so on. Every action you made could potentially increase your wealth, your injuries, your ferocity, your infamy, exc. What was also nice was the ability to keep track of those traits and see your scores in them whenever you wanted.

There were also little cosmetic choices like: 'are your wings leathery or scaly', 'do you have two, four, or six?' 'Is your head smooth or ridged,' 'what color are you,' 'horns, no horns, antlers, spikes' and so on.

I think readers would be pleased, even impressed, if you studied up on types of dragons and gave us a truly wide range of choices on what kind we can be. You may not realize this, but there are -several- different kinds. The European portrayal that so many people are accustomed to is barely even scratching the surface.  

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

The Choice Of the Dragon is one of the most engaging CYOA stories I've ever played, and I agree immensely with you. Ever since I was a kid I've collected books regarding anything about dragons, so I have quite a collection of them detailing on different species and cultures.

However, I did not even think to add that diversity to my game! Thank you for noting that. I'll definitely be making some tweaks.

I don't blame you for not enjoying the animal sim games on CYS. A majority of those types of games on this website (ESPECIALLY the warrior cats *shudders*) I've played are usually very short, lack depth or really any sort of development, and are a irritating, feisty bundle of bad grammar and spelling that will most likely rear up and slug everything you've known and loved about storygames in the face.

Choice of the Dragon was a very engaging tale, but I intend my sim to be a much different story. Whether people enjoy it or not, I can only cross my fingers.

Thanks for the insight!

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

Then it makes sense that you want a dragon sim to be one of your first games.

I will confess that even though I don't like animal sims most of the time, I've always had a soft spot for dragons. Hell, 'How to Train Your Dragon' is one of my favorite kids films because... it was well made, for one, but the idea of having a dragon for a fighting partner / pet and best friend is something plenty of kids dreamed of and I am no exception.

Yeah, well, in my experience, diversity is a huge part of what makes this genre (choose your story) so popular and as long as it's given purpose and quality, it tends to make for a very good game. (>_> I ... do not have the stomach to discuss WC in-depth, but yes. They are the majority when it comes to animal sims here and ... that irks me. A lot.)

I do not tend to offer this very often these days, but I would be willing to help a bit. If only just by way of looking it over before you publish to help polish things. Again, I have a soft spot for dragons. :P I'd like to see at least one dragon sim here turn out well.

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

Truth at its finest! How To Train Your Dragon is my all time favorite animated film. The animation is just flawless and the story is breathtaking. I don't see how anyone couldn't like it!

My game still has a long ways to go but I have most of the beginning fleshed out if you'd like to take a look to check for grammar. I feel like its lacking so I'd love to hear any ideas you might have. Want to check it out? ^^

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

The flying scenes are where they really showed off, imo. As for critics ...*shrug* can't please everyone, no matter how good a film is. Still, I haven't met many people who truly disliked it.

Sure, but... not today. I'm about to head back to bed. I've been feeling pretty awful most of today and I haven't slept more than 3 hours in the past 24 or so, so I need to get more rest before work tonight. You could co-author me and I'll PM you once I get the chance, if you like.

What Do You Look For...

9 years ago

I made you a coauthor. Please do get some rest! You and me, though. I've had a killer headache since last night. Get well soon!