Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

So, I am going to a Long sword instructional tomorrow afternoon.  For people that do not know, this video may shed some light.  Sorry for the yahoo, I hate it too.  Anyways, I'll post back my experience sometime over the weekend if anyone is interested.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

Awesome! There's a historical longsword group in my area, which I was briefly a part of. Very cool stuff. ^_^

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

Yeah, I'm wanting to try it out and see if I like it.  Seems expensive though....

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

How much is a sword?

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

If you do buy a synthetic sword, we recommend the Purpleheart Type III Synthetics: These are the best syntehtic option on the market today, though we encourage students to consider saving up for steel instead. The PH GenIIIs are available for $114 to $125.

We've had success with the following types of blunt steel practice weapons:

• Regenyei Federschwert: Our #1 recommended choice. An excellent practice sword at a decent price. They handle well, hold up to heavy use, and offer a significantly lighter strike and thrust than a regular blunt ($300-$350). Ask us for contact info of a distributor in the US.
  • Ensifer Federschwert: Another collection of superb, top-of-the-line HEMA swords, Ensifer blades are also highly recommended.
  • The Albion Meyer (Federschwert): Like it's cousin the Liechtenauer, the Meyer is also a superb sword in every way. With a bit more flexible tip and a thinner blade, the Meyer is an excellent sparring blunt. Price: $490.
  • The Arms and Armor Fechterspiel: A great feder with nice handling and quality. The blade feels like it has more spring than the Albion meyer, though it seems stiffer than other federschwert. Like most feders, this sword is much easier to control than a standard blunt. Price: $500.
  • Pavel Moc Federschwert

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

Taken from the group's site.  That's just the sword, not including buying the gloves, helmet, and a form of body protection.
I mean, I guess it depends.  To me, that's quite expensive for a hobby.  Then again, if you love it, why not?

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

I gave $100 for mine.  It's second hand and hand-made by a blacksmith.  A one-of-a-kind...

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

That is a really cool hobby. 

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

wanting to be a swordsman is good but why do you want to be a swordsman

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

I don't.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

i was talking to ahh nevermind

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

I do archery and fencing, but fencing is much different than this kind of sword fighting.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

i don't do any i want to join a Kendo class but i cant yet

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

That's interesting. :)

I do historical fencing as part of the Society for  Creative Anachronism.

It kinds reminds me of that. It is plenty different since the SCA is sort of recreate a more favorable version of the middle ages.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

But knives...KNIVES MAN.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

Kukri knife all the way. 

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

A machete is not a knife, and thus a khukri isn't one either.  They're better.

Long sword Fighting

9 years ago

Well, had a lot of fun and deff coming back for more.  As far as knives, he offers a class in those as well.  Might take that up since it is more 'practical'.